Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

Adword Campaign Problem - Lots of visitors, little sales

PremiumMember
espresso
Trust:

Adword Campaign Problem - Lots of visitors, little sales

I have been running a Google Adwords campaign for the last couple of weeks to promote an affiliate product. I've played with the keywords and the ads and have around 2-3% CTR. I was sending the clicks direct to the site but have since written a review of the product. The site says that they convert 1 in 50 visitors but over 600 people have clicked on my ad this month and I've only had 3 sales in the same period, so that's 1 in 200 (and I'm not even sure all of those have come from my Adwords promotions because I don't yet have any tracking code on the sales thank you page).

I was promoting it last month only through Overture (so without the review and Adwords), I had 114 clicks and 2 sales which supports the 1 in 50 visitors claim.

What is the problem likely to be here? Is it my keyword list? Should the Google ad have the price in it to deter random clickers? Is it likely to be the review? Or is it Google?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jill
seo2020
Trust:
Hi Jill,

Are you running your ads on content networks? If so what is your % of clicks from content networks as opposed to plain Google searches?

I have found the need to opt-out of displaying my ads on content networks because they usually perform very bad.

As far as your conversions go... I would need to see your landing/sales page in order to offer advice there.

Feel free to PM it to me if you do not want to share it here.

Best regards,

Charles
The Master Plan - The New Generation of SEO

PremiumMember
espresso
Trust:
Hi Charles

Thanks for your response. I had turned off the content network option so it hasn't been running for the past month. I do have the {KeyWord} option as my header title and I'm wondering if that was giving me a higher clickthrough because people thought the ad would solve their problem without reading the rest of the ad to see whether it was actually what they wanted.

Thanks for your offer to check out my landing page. I've PM'd the link to you.

Jill