Looking for some creative inspiration for your promotions? Find and suggest ideas for marketing and building your affiliate campaigns.

Marc Lindsey's Keyword Density...

PremiumMember
kristine
Trust:

Marc Lindsey's Keyword Density...

This is in response to Yankee's post on the blog but thought that everyone might have other ideas too so instead of writing a book in the blog thought I'd post something over here :D

I've tried using the 2-3% KW density as well and found that the article does read strangely so I've scaled back a bit.

What may help you though and what I have been doing is that instead of overloading my articles with keywords (I'll keep the articles at 1%), I have a navigation menu at the bottom of the page that will use the keyword(s) twice or more. This helps to increase the amount of keywords on the page (not by much mind you) but it does help.

As to how well it works, that remains to be seen but I hope this gives you some ideas to work with.

Have any of you been using these percentages in your articles? And if so, how well do they read?

If we keep with the 400 - 500 words per page/article as he suggests then it doesn't seem to flow well at all.

Kristine
PremiumMember
rcubed
Trust:
Hi Kristine,

I don't usually calculate KW density in my articles or pages. It seems to be a moving target. As you pointed out, if the article starts to read strangely because you're having to force in KWs, then scale back.

Ultimately we're producing sites and content for human visitors (hopefully). Of course, we still need to play the SEO game while we're at it, so it becomes a delicate balance.

My general approach is to use my targeted KWs where ever I can in an article without making it sound awkward. Again, it's a fine line, but so far it's worked out well and I don't need to count KWs. The desired goal is to produce a useful and informative article.

I think your suggestion about using KWs in the navigation will probably work better for cross-linking your pages via anchor text. I think the search engines are able to make the distinction between navigation links and the content on a page, but it's just my guess.

Rich