Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Google Competition Research - Last Page of Results Total?

nickmann
Trust:

Google Competition Research - Last Page of Results Total?

I'm a little confused about the use of this technique I heard of...

Below are 3 results for completion for the keyword Wine Racks, 1st is a broad match (no quotes). 2nd is a phrase match (using quotes). The 3rd is what I understand to be actual pages that include the phrase, obtained when you click to the last page of results from Google (just keep clicking the last number until you get to the last page of results).

I don't hear a lot about how to use this information...

How is it that Google reports 1,070.000 pages but if you go to the last listing it says there's only 481 pages for the keyword?

How do we use this info, if at all?

Example Below:
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,470,000 for Wine racks
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,070,000 for "Wine racks"
Results 481 - 481 of 481 for "Wine racks"

Any info would be welcome...

Nick
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Nick,
Google does not list every page in the search results that you and I see.
They exist to Google, but can you imagine trying to click through and look at or count 2 million pages..lol
The phrase search is handy because you know the pages that have that phrase in them and can get a better indication of that search phrase being used.
You can also do this with exact search [exact]

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

nickmann
Trust:
Thanks Troy...

I've heard of some IM systems using that number... trying to figure out why..

This topic was started on Feb 24, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.