Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Do Domain Extensions Matter?

erikheyl
Trust:

Do Domain Extensions Matter?

Let's say I'm doing a CPA offer (or affiliate blog), I do the keyword research and find my keywords. Now, I should be getting a keyword rich domain right? But, does it matter if it is a .com or say a .info. I'm asking as buying multiple domains are cheaper with .info and if it is keyword rich to begin with the extension shouldn't make a huge difference in traffic right? Could someone clear this up for me?
jasondodd
Trust:
Google use the TLD (Top Level Domain e.g. .com, .info) as part of the ranking algorithm and a .com will traditionally score higher than a .info, .coms will generally have a higher click-thru rate as well since they have a higher perceived authority level (due to the abuse cheaper TLDs have had (including TLDs like .biz).

Having said that there are authority sites like http://www.austria.info/ that use the .info TLD.

Keep in mind too that keywords in your domain name dont offer a lot of SEO benefit but can be helpful in PPC or getting direct traffic as they have a high perceived relevancy.
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

marklincoln
Trust:
Agreed! For me it's all about credibility. Personally, I'd put more perceived value in a site that ended ".com" (or an ending relevant to the country of origin, e.g. .co.nz, .com.au, .co.uk etc.) over a site that ended in .info.

Same goes for other less common extensions such as .net.

Especially if I was going to that site to part with my cash.

P.S. First post! I've officially lost my Affilorama cherry. Ok, back to the topic now!

This topic was started on Nov 08, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.