Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Analyzing Keyword Phrase Competition

ggrimes43
Trust:

Analyzing Keyword Phrase Competition

I am following along with the advice that Mark gave in the Blogging Bootcamp on using TrafficTravis to analyze the competitiveness of keyword phrases.

I've come to a sticking point though. I'm not sure which phrase would be better to use. I have two 3 word phrases. One phrase has a search vol. of 5400 and gets 3 stars from TrafficTravis' SEO analyzer. The other phrase has a search volume of 880 and gets 4 stars.

I'm sure that the 4 star phrase will be easier to rank for but I'm a little confused if that is enough search volume, being that the other phrase has nearly 6 times the searches.

Could someone help me with this?

Thank You,
Gary G.
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hi Gary,

Whenever I'm unsure as to whether to choose one keyword or another (like in your situation), I usually go for both. ie. instead of choosing one of those phrases, choose them both and set up a separate article on your website that is optimized for each of those phrases.

As a general rule of thumb, I try to make sure that at least 75-85% of the phrases that I try to target initially have a keyword difficulty of about 4 stars in Traffic Travis. I prefer to go after more competitive phrases when my website has aged a little first.

All the best and happy new years!
Mark

(I'm on vacation at Kaiteriteri beach, New Zealand right now - just for those interested, it's 4:12pm New Years day here and it has been a really hot sunny day). Just hopped on quick while my wife is taking a short nap ;)
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

ggrimes43
Trust:
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the help. I was thinking somewhere along those lines also and you made it more clear for me.

Thanks for you time.

Happy New Year!
Gary

This topic was started on Dec 31, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.