Looking for a program to promote? Found a product but not sure if it is any good? Discuss anything on programs and affiliate networks here.

Who gets the credit if a customer clicks 2 affiliate links?

PremiumMember
thumbdog
Trust:

Who gets the credit if a customer clicks 2 affiliate links?

Hello all...

Maybe a noob question, but hopefully someone can take the time to explain it to me.

I was on Affiliatebot (a competitor to ClickBank) checking into some of their programs. On nearly all of them, they mention, in the Commission Plans section, a cookie expiring after n number of days. I understand what a cookie is - I'm just unsure as to how it relates in affiliate marketing. Specifically, if, for example, two affiliates are promoting the same product and the commission details for that product indicate a cookie expires in 90 days, what happens if potential customer hits the merchant's site via affiliate "A"s website (but doesn't purchase), and the next day hits the merchant's site via affiliate "B"s website and doesn't purchase? Does the cookie the merchant's site places on the potential customer's computer resulting from their visit to affiliate "B"s site "trump" the one obtained via affiliate "A"s?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.
Last edited by michellerana on 15 Mar 10 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

jcdean
Trust:
last cookie wins
Respect,
JC Dean

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
The credit is given to the last unique affiliate. If someone else's affiliate link was clicked on after yours, the other affiliate will earn the commission.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

jpastorizo
Trust:
For Clickbank, I will agree with both JC and Michelle, but for other affiliate programs that says the cookie life is 90 days or so - the one who gets the credit sometimes (at least in my experience) is the previous affiliate's cookie. As long as the cookie is still within its lifespan of 90 days or whatever the setting was.

Maybe Mark can tell us his experience...

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

marcovandaar
Trust:
i was wondering the same thing. i will follow this one
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
The last cookie wins (ie B).
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

pzenji
Trust:
Well ThumbDog, I think affiliate "B" would get the commission.
I'm not here to sell you anything but glad to help whenever I can only through Pivate Msg.

lindaknor65
Trust:
I noticed that some merchants are listing that in their terms and conditions. All of them that have mentioned it, have said that the last affiliate link clicked gets the commission.
Linda Norton

One stop shopping for kids and family
http://www.kidoffer.com

This topic was started on Mar 13, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.