Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Competitive niches

nakibk
Trust:

Competitive niches

Hi all. I am picking niches now and was wondering something. I am thinking of doing something along the lines of weight loss/dieting/nutrition. From what I understand, these are all pretty competitive. If I were to go through with this anyway, given I do everything according to the blueprint, will I see results later, or will I see no result at all? I'm not thinking about PPC yet, so by SEO alone would i see results in around 4-8 months, longer, or not at all?
Thanks (sorry if a question like this has been asked and replied to already)
nakibk
Trust:
I should mention I plan on using AMA...
fanatic
Trust:
Pick a unique angle.

Review the videos in the course.

Drill down into the niche.

E.g. Weight loss > Walking for weight loss >
Walking for weight loss while eating an apple

Then you could create a site like
WalkingForWeightLoss.com with articles
like "Walking for weight loss while eating an apple"
and "Walking for weight loss while eating an orange"
or something like that.

Ridiculous examples of course but you get the idea.
Need to outsource article writing or graphics design? Drop me a PM.
Follow me on Twitter? http://twitter.com/kangwei

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Yep, fanatic hit the nail on the head. Nothing wrong with picking a large market (often better than the small markets), but you've gotta drill down and find your own niche.

You also have to be better if you're in a competitive place. In smaller niches it's not hard to do this, but in weight loss you've gotta be a bit better in order to stand out.

There are loads of niches and subniches within weight loss. You can do mens stuff, womens stuff, kids stuff, older peoples stuff, weight loss for busy people and on and on it goes.

Post your thoughts here and I'm sure someone will be able to help you pick out one that's good.
Sean
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

nakibk
Trust:
ok thanks for the ideas, I got it now. I picked a broad niche because coming up with keywords were easier (since there are so many). Though looking at them now I could've just put keyword+"for men" or something like that for most of them anyway.

(I'm replying so late because I forgot to notify myself when there's a reply :P)
nakibk
Trust:
so something like 'lose wight running', or 'lose wight biking' would be better/easier than just 'lose weight' right?
and then I'd need to find 25 keywords around, for example, 'lose wight running'?

This topic was started on Aug 31, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.