Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Why wont my site show up in Search Engines

skywalker
Trust:

Why wont my site show up in Search Engines

I have had my site up for about a Month now. I have submitted it to google. I have put it on Twitter. I have a couple outside links Eg. Video on youtube! It wont even show up if you typ the actuall page address in the search field. the site is www.snakeeyescostume.com Does anyone know why this is?
mortalengine
Trust:
Its showing up for me both with www and http in address bar but not search this is normal for a new site
When you said submitted to Google did you go to Google webmaster tools add your site and verify it, this really helps in indexing, if you have click resubmit
May not be indexed yet
Last edited by wollowra on 12 Sep 09 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling

PremiumMember
bblackwell
Trust:
Definitely follow affil96754's advice on verifying it via Google Webmaster Tools, and also generate a Google Sitemap for it (there are a bunch of free tools online that can do this for you, just search for them) and submit that to them as well. That'll tell them exactly which pages they should index, so it'll often get you indexed quicker.
Client Knowledge Guru at ClickBank - Follow me on Twitter www.twitter.com/beaublackwell or www.twitter.com/clickbank
For more help with ClickBank check out www.clickbank.com/blog or www.clickbank.com/help
Please note that my postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions or positions of ClickBank.

skywalker
Trust:
Thanks for the info. When I submitted it google, I did it through http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl

When I make a sitemap, do I want to map All of the sites pages or just the Home page?
PremiumMember
bblackwell
Trust:
You'll definitely want to map all of your pages. Also, looking at your link structure, all of your pages just have URLs like ?page_id=277.

I'm not sure what program your site is built with, but if at all possible, try to get your page URLs more search engine friendly- for example, the page Why Snake Eyes? should have a URL like www.snakeeyescostume.com/why-snake-eyes if at all possible. It'll help with your rankings in general, and will look much better to Google in your Sitemap.
Client Knowledge Guru at ClickBank - Follow me on Twitter www.twitter.com/beaublackwell or www.twitter.com/clickbank
For more help with ClickBank check out www.clickbank.com/blog or www.clickbank.com/help
Please note that my postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions or positions of ClickBank.

skywalker
Trust:
I used wordpress to build the site. How would I change the url's?
skywalker
Trust:
I tried to change my permalinks but wordpress says my .htaccess is not write-able. I tried follow their directions but ended up making all my posts and pages have 404 errors! I had to re-due them all to get it to reset.
mortalengine
Trust:
go to settings / permalinks/custom structure and ad /%post_id%/%postname%/
skywalker
Trust:
When I add: /%post_id%/%postname%/ to the costum structure field it says this below:

If your .htaccess file were writable, we could do this automatically, but it isn’t so these are the mod_rewrite rules you should have in your .htaccess file. Click in the field and press CTRL + a to select all.

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c> RewriteEngine On RewriteBase / RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteRule . /index.php [L] </IfModule>

How do I add this to my .htaccess file and where is this file in my cpanel?

This topic was started on Sep 11, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.