Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

I need help / input with website hosting

solar81
Trust:

I need help / input with website hosting

Guys I've run into a brick wall. I've half completed my website and just recently was told i need to use a server hosting plan.

What my website entails is the common affiliate links then on another page people can log in and add their photo - limit of 5 with a size limitation) for a fee each month. Then people on the outside vote which photo they like the most and the winner gets a prize. I was hoping to allow people once signed in to upload their photo on my website but i may have to get them to go to a place like image shack.

My problem is I've been told that i need to use a server hosting plan - and they are not cheap considering this is my 1st website. Are there any alternatives to hosting?

Any help would be terrific.

Solar
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Solar,
Do you mean a dedicated server?
I am a bit confused on what you are asking.
If you want to run a site like this, you will need hosting no matter what.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

solar81
Trust:
i know ill need hosting regardless but im still trying to figure out what type of hosting ill need, ive asked a few companies and ive been told ill need to use a hosting server - i dont know the tec name of it.

i just want to make sure that when my website goes online that i have chosen the correct type of hosting im a a bit confused as to what i should use or how to go about it
esolutions
Trust:
Hi Solar,

The site that you describe seems rather simple (not a huge amount of storage nor bandwidth needed). Check out Godaddy hosting or Hostgator. Get one of the smaller accounts (something like $5 a month or so) if you need to scale up in the future, that's not a problem with either of those. You definitely don't need your own dedicated server!

UPDATE:
I recently found out about GVO which offers hosting, plus autoresponders and more. Now I can do everything in one spot. See my Sig...
Last edited by esolutions on 27 Jan 11 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

Site Admin
mikeantiga
Trust:
You only need a dedicated server once you reach the 10,000 visitors-a-day mark. A shared hosting package will be enough for your website at this time.
Want lessons on Affiliate Marketing, SEO and Content Creation? Get them here for FREE:
http://www.affilorama.com/lessons

jeniferflxs
Trust:
Initially you can opt for a VPS or shared hosting.Then based on the visitors you can go in for a dedicated server.VPS gives more privilege like root access to the server than a shared hosting and keeps your site up and running and your site does not get affected based on other sites performance.Where as in shared hosting your site will get down if there is a problem with any site sharing the same server.
I suggest you to host with XnYnZ.com as I find they have cheaper and a reliable service.

This topic was started on Jun 07, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.