Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How do I pay tax in Australia on my US website?

solar81
Trust:

How do I pay tax in Australia on my US website?

My website is almost ready to go but i just though of a problem.. im from Aust but ive used hostgator.com to build and host my website, ive also added mostly american affiliate programs onto my website. When i signed up with linkshare they asked me for my tax info - i dont have any american tax info as im a australian residant, how would i get around that problem? Also speaking of tax because my website isnt based in Australia how would that effect me paying any tax for the commissions i may earn outside of australia? ive used clickbank and afew other programs linkshare etc.

solar
PremiumMember
graceharman
Trust:
Hi Solar,

For Linkshare, I think you would just use your Australian tax file number, or ABN.

When you come to file your tax return in Australia at the end of the year, you need to add any additional earnings from affiliate marketing to your return, and then work out a final figure to pay in tax. If your affiliate income is more than $4,000 a year, it's probably worth consulting an accountant, as you might be entitled to the small business capital gains tax concessions, or be able to deduct other business expenses etc.
solar81
Trust:
Would i need to sign up for a small business in order to get the benifits then, if so where would i go to sign up my website as a small business and how much would it cost to set up
wollowra
Trust:
I am in Australia and yes, Grace is correct.
Each persons Tax will be different but you need to declare what you earn in profit.
Your Accountant will be the best person to talk too.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
graceharman
Trust:
You can be a sole trader and still get tax deductions on business expenses (like the cost of your Affilorama subscription!), but once your earnings reach a certain point it's a good idea to register your business. Once again, your accountant is the best person to provide advice on this subject.
mack45
Trust:
Hi great info I hope it works the same for Canada but I can ask my CGA
Pro at basic WP and keyword research willing to [email protected]

This topic was started on Jan 03, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.