Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How Do I Activate My Website?

PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:

How Do I Activate My Website?

Ok, we typed in our web address, and we received a page that says the following:

Welcome to: thesportsmaniacgroup.com
This Web page is parked for FREE, courtesy of Affilorama Group Limited.

So we logged in and hit launch and it then showed the site was active, however, when we retyped our address in, it cam to the same page....What are we doing wrong.

Thanks
Jason
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Jason,

I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion caused. Please switch your domain's nameservers to ns1.doubledotmedia.com and ns2.doubledotmedia.com. You may follow the steps at: How to change nameservers on Affilorama.com/domains?

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Ok, we went in and changed the nameservers. I wasn't sure we needed to because we are affilotheme members. Now, when it does end up transferring over and changes to production mode, all the affiliate redirect links, will we need to change those or will the url change automatically. As of now, they all (only 3 of them) have that "stage" extension on them.

Thanks
Jason
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hey Jason,

The system's designed to change the base URL from staging to your actual domain automatically (and hasn't failed yet); but if it doesn't, I promise I'll change the URLs by hand myself :)

Jonathan
PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Hi Jonathan,

Looks like it all worked out. All the URL's look good. Thanks. One thing though: When I pull up my site, it always has the Affilotheme toolbar at the top where you can edit the pages. Is this because I am accessing my site with the my computer? I am assuming anybody going to my site will not see that info?

Thank for your help.

Jason
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hey Jason,

That's because you're logged in as admin; if you log out (so you view your webpage like a visitor), you'll find that bar goes away

Jonathan
PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
So even though I am logged in as admin, a visitor to my site will never see that bar

Jason
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hey Jason,

Nope, they shouldn't; to be sure, try accessing your website using your browser's "Private Browsing" or "Icognito" mode (which'll treat your website like a new visitor). If you're not familiar with doing that, try accessing your website from a friend's computer instead (this'll have the same effect), and check you cannot see the Admin bar

Jonathan
PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Just opened it using the private browser.....looks good. Thanks!!

Just started the site yesterday and really happy with how it is coming. Having fun going in and tweaking different areas.

Oh, how do you get rid of the words that have the double green line under them and when you hover over them pop up comes up?
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hey Jason,

I'm not quite sure what you mean; if you can't figure it out, though, email through to our support who should be able to walk you through specific steps to solving your issue

Jonathan
PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Well, in the body of most of my texts, there are random words that are underlines and when you scroll your mouse over them, and ad pops up. That make sense?

Jason
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hello Jason,

Normally I'd put that down to a plugin you've got enabled in your site; however I can't see the issue you describe when I visit your website, which makes me think that you might have an odd browser plugin or ad-ware program installed, unrelated to AffiloTheme/Affilorama/WordPress, which is highlighting words in websites. Do the green underlines appear on any other websites (specifically WordPress ones)?

Jonathan
PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Yes, they show up in a few places in the word press admin area. Would you happen to know what plug in would be causing this.

I guess as long as it's not an issue when others are visiting my site...

But I would like to get it off my browser. Please let me know I you know the name of that plugin or add-ware program.

Thanks for all your help...you guys are great.
PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Jonathan,

I cleaned up my laptop and was able to get rid of those annoying lines...
I was wondering if you could look at my landing page and just tell me if I'm on the right track. I just started this website yesterday so I know I have a lot more work to do, but just wanted to get some feedback on the work we have done.
http://www.thesportsmaniacgroup.com/

Thanks a lot!

Jason
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Jason,

Your site is looking good. You've started only a few days ago, but you've gotten the site up pretty quickly. I don't have any feedback or suggestion at this time as you seem to have a lot more to add.

Keep moving forward! :)

Have a great weekend!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack

PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Thanks Cecille. I appreciate your feedback. I want to get a newsletter sign up going and also just keep posting relative information on the blogs (posts) As soon as our web-store is done being rebuilt, I want to add some back-links to that from the sports merchandise page, and start posting daily product highlights.

Is it better or worse to have too many banner advertisements? I don't want to flood my site with advertisements, and does google look down on that?

Thanks for the help....you guys truly are awesome. My next site will be a major marketing endorsement for your company!!

Jason
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Jason,

Too much advertising can is distracting to users. It might take them away from your site, and keep them from clicking on your affiliate offers. If you have banners or ads for the products you promote then make sure to keep them on only one or two parts of the site and not all over. Like I said, they can be distracting to users (to some, downright annoying!) so keep them to a minimum.

Google does look down on a site that has too many ads, particularly on the first/upper half of the site. This brought about the Penguin algo update which targeted sites with too much ads, among other things.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

This topic was started on Aug 01, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.