Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

FTP HELP. I keep getting these error messages

PremiumMember
red129
Trust:

FTP HELP. I keep getting these error messages

I have watched the video, so please do not re-direct me to that. I have set up the FileZilla as it says in the video but I keep getting this message ??? What do I do?

Error: Authentication failed.
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server

I am using my domain name for the Host / User Name that was sent to my email along as my password. But nothing....
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Jan 10 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

wollowra
Trust:
Hi Red,
When you go into EDIT then SETTINGS.. is it in passive mode?
also, are you 100% sure you are using your correct FTP username and password and also no spaces?

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Yeah I second that: Check that you're entering the right thing into the host box. If you're with HostGator (like we were in the video) it will just be yourdomain.com (no WWW, no HTTP://). But some other hosting companies require that you use ftp.yourdomain.com or something similar.

Also make sure that you're not using the login etc from your domain name registrar. It's different.

Sorry if these seem like really obvious suggestions, but you'd be surprised how many people get this wrong!
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

PremiumMember
red129
Trust:
Ok checked the passive - Put on the fallback that did not work...

My HOST is Affilorama - I also tried to set up a new FTP user name and pass word that did not work either :(

I use the ftp.mydomain.com // user name . com // password - xxxxx

And nothing ...
wollowra
Trust:
Hmmm, I would contact support directly on this one, not sure about this.
Maybe Aletta can help more or just send in an email through the contact form at our support page.
Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
red129
Trust:
Yes am doing that as we speak... it's so funny how when you are ready to move forward you get tested... LOL
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
This is how I connect to my Affilorama hosting account:

HOST: ftp.mydomain.com
USERNAME: mydomain.com
PWD: The password that was provided to me by Affilorama hosting. Not my Affilorama password.

NOTE that there is never any www or http:// in there.
And that your FTP password is DIFFERENT from the one you use to log into Affilorama. I can't even remember mine off the top of my head.

I imagine that if you've submitted a support ticket, they're going to go through exactly the same stuff we've just mentioned here, and then they're going to pass it on to me :)
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Looks like your site is now working :)
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
red129
Trust:
The issue was :
The server type should be FTP - File Transfer Protocol
In the Video it says different...

This topic was started on Jan 25, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.