Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Australian Domain Names

PremiumMember
cat07
Trust:

Australian Domain Names

Hi Guys,

I'm curious to know if you can host an australian domain name (.au) with Hostgator. I've heard it's not good for seo purposes to have a different ip address to the domain name, that it's better to use an australian web host. Is this true? I was thinking that maybe Hostgator had somewhere when registering that would allow you to nominate where your website is. Does this make a difference or not?

Thanks,
Catherine.
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Catherine,
From my experience no it does not.
When you register a .com.au domain then Google sees that you are targeting the Australian Market.
It does not care where you are hosting the domain.
But hows this for strange...
I just built a website for a client and it's a .com domain.
He has an Australian business.
I got him on the front page of google Australia for a certain keyword with a .com domain... go figure..lol

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
cat07
Trust:
Hi Troy,

Wow! That's interesting. Just goes to show you that anything is possible if you use the right keywords etc. You've been a great help.

Thanks,
Catherine
wollowra
Trust:
Yes, keywords and linkbacks are important.
You're welcome.
Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

This topic was started on Nov 28, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.