Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Advice on setting up Wordpress templates?

wayfarer
Trust:

Advice on setting up Wordpress templates?

hi guys,

As I'm new to wordpress, need some advice on setting up new templates.
after I downloaded it to the Win RaR zip folder

How am I going to attach the new template to my WP account?
wayfarer
Trust:
I now realized that wordpress.com and wordpress.org are2 different animals.

Man..Friday the 13th has been hard on me doing my first blog

Anyone can walk a thru a new theme installation :shock:

Try doing it on CP hostgater but no avail...uploaded the winzip file and browsed thru many images ...etc..a wrong step somewhere
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Wayfarer – If you want to make your life easier, an ftp application like SmartFtp or CuteFtp (both free) will be easier to use to upload your files rather than using the file manager in Cpanel.

Which ever way you decide to go:
You need to unzip the theme before you upload it to your server. Then just open the wp-content folder of your domain. In there you'll see the themes folder - open it. If using a Ftp just "drag and drop" your new theme folder into the themes folder or upload it through cpanel.

Then just activate your new theme in your WP presentations tab.

NOTE: make sure that the directory folder holds the rest of your files and does not have another directory folder in front of them or you'll get a can't find a css file error... that drove me nuts when I started using Wordpress :evil:

So your theme hierarchy folder should look like this:
theme-name/theme-files
and not
theme-name/theme-name/theme-files - if it does, get rid of the second one before you upload it to your server.

HTH,
PC
P.S. here's link to SmartFTp - www.smartftp.com/download/ you'll need your hostagtor ftp account information to use it. It's usually in your welcome to hostagtor email. They even have some tutorials to get you connected to your server.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Nice post PC
wayfarer
Trust:
wow promo, it will take me a while to get a hang of this, wish wordpress provide live help..thanks anyway for the info :D
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Well wordpress is free, so you can't really complain :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Wayfarer wrote:wow promo, it will take me a while to get a hang of this, wish wordpress provide live help..thanks anyway for the info :D

Yeah, it may take you a bit of time to get used to working with Wordpress, any application has a learning curve and WP's is pretty narrow by some standards IMO.

Use http://wordpress.org/support/ - it's the next best thing to live help. If that doesn't work, just ask here :)

PC