Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How do I monitor website changes?

gohanstark0
Trust:

How do I monitor website changes?

I am developing a strategy to actively monitor our top ten competitors and be aware of any changes they implement. For example, a change in design, price, or something small like a header's copy change. The idea is to start with ten competitors and expand over time. Is there a way to do this and perhaps have visuals for comparison? When discussing these changes in our monthly meetings, I want to be able to show old vs. new. Screenshots come to mind, but I haven't explored this option in detail. Screenshots come to mind, but I have yet to explore this option in detail, knowing how much I usually struggle to take full-page screenshots.
geraldwasap32
Trust:
It's always tricky to build a strategy from scratch. You can only learn by trial and error what works and what doesn't. The problem with this is that it can take a while. We tested a few ways to monitor a web page for changes, you can check them out. I will be particular about the factors that play a role in deciding what works best for you. For example, some tools work great with monitoring one specific part of the page. Others are great for monitoring price, but only if the page has no images (which is hardly ever the case). Some allow you to capture screenshots of a URL at set intervals and send them automatically to your cloud storage (since you mentioned screenshots, you might want something of this type).
gohanstark0
Trust:
Thank you, I will look into these. The details are super helpful actually. From a glance, I already have a good candidate.