Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

More on Visual Persuasion

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:

More on Visual Persuasion

Visual Persuasion:
As a digital artist and online marketer with a degree in fine art and teaching experience at a fine art college, I've been studying Visual Persuasion in preparation for creating an info product on Visual Marketing.

Act fast:
One of the things I've learned about landing page optimization is that you have only a few seconds to engage your visitor's attention and get them to commit to start traversing your page and your sales process. I've heard figures of from 3 to 17 seconds. Whatever the number it's a very short time.

That critical UVP:
The first thing you must present is your Unique Value Proposition. If your UVP resonates with exactly what's in the mind of the prospect at that instant ("sales are made in the mind - not on the page") then you have jumped the first of many hurdles and gotten your first mini-call-to-action accomplished - of the many to come in your sales process.

Sequencing:
That is, your sales process doesn't have just one big call-to-action, like a hoplink, buy button or signup form. Because of the principle of sequencing (the "don't ask for sex at the first meeting. You have to lead up to these things gradually" principle) your sales process is a sequence of many small calls-to-action, each of which must succeed in the prospect's mind to move the sales process forward.

So, visually, what's your best sequenced item, in order to start with your UVP as the first thing? Will you display an image first? A video? a headline? Chances are if you start with an image or a video, your prospect will focus on that, instead of on the vital UVP in your headline. Also, any rectangular image at the page top may suffer from "Banner Blindness".

Banner Blindness:
Banner Blindness is the visual anti-noise perceptual self-training prospects have gone through because of being hit with so many visual ads and other visual noise every day. People have actually learned to be less observant because of visual environmental pollution.

My Advice:
My advice is to start with an easy to read text headline containing your well expressed UVP. Next, present your subhead (which moves the prospect from the headline to the story paragraphs). Then probably your first ad copy paragraph. After those, you can substantiate your above claims and present more persuasion via images or videos. You do need to substantiate all sales claims with 3rd party facts (no one believes what the actual selling person claims any longer).

Now, it is possible to present a UVP in a video. But I don't very often see it done well. I suspect that considerable expertise in video production is required to do it - expertise few of us have. Also, some people are biased against videos in ad copy (maybe only the older folk?).

All graphic elements must tightly match your UVP:
Whatever you do, don't present images or graphical elements (boxes, horizontal rules, background images, wild color schemes, etc.) that have no relevance to your UVP.
How many photos of female models wearing headsets and smiling into the camera can we stand? What's the UVP of this image? Use makeup? Buy toothpaste? Get this headset? No, don't come on to your receptionist? Your employees deserve a raise? What?

Remember what they say about that everlasting question,"Is it art?" - In visual persuasion, as in art, "It's all in the mind of the beholder."

Hope this helps you...
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi jimcoe,

Thanks for sharing this helpful post! Content is not just articles but images on your site as well and all other elements that make up your site. Knowing how these elements work and affect your readers will help one create sites that provide good user experience.

Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

This topic was started on Mar 18, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.