Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

Borrowing articles for newsletters?

icj1
Trust:

Borrowing articles for newsletters?

Does anyone have any advice on whether or not it is a good move to generate a series of newsletters comprising wholly of borrowed articles (all bios / links included of course).

I'm guessing it would bump up the spam rating? since they'd likely have to be in html format (to accommodate live links), rather than plain text - and have my bio/sig at the end too.

(I just changed a series of newsletters I already had, from plain to html - to facilitate live links - and the spam rating jumped up from 0 to 2.7 on some)

Thanks, Ian
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
What you could do is have your emails send people back to your own site. So provide a snippet of the article, and then say "to read more, visit mysite.com/articles/blah.html".

Otherwise you can either keep your emails as html and risk the spam filter. Check the policies of article sites to see if you can extract the URLs from articles and post them in a plain text email instead of having hyperlinked keywords... but this is bound to look ugly.

Does anyone have any advice on whether or not it is a good move to generate a series of newsletters comprising wholly of borrowed articles (all bios / links included of course).

This depends on how mission-critical your newsletter series is. Remember that people are going to stop being interested in what you have to say if you're just regurgitating content from other places that isn't particularly interesting. You gotta make it good and give them a reason to keep opening your emails. But that's up to you.

All the best,
Mark
Last edited by ampie g on 16 Mar 10 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: delinked url

Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

icj1
Trust:
Thanks Mark. I'd probably be OK since my question is centred around some offline marketing I'm doing ; small niche websites in magazines).

ian