Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Website Advice

mikekaz
Trust:

Website Advice

Hello
I was told to post in the forums for website critique.

*broken link*

Please be brutally honest, I can take it :) .
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Feb 10 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove broken link

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Hey Mike,

This doesn't appear to be an affiliate site, so I don't know how helpful my comments are going to be.

An obvious thing that I can see is that your header takes up half the screen and offers no value. You're wasting a whole lot of precious screen real estate right there. In fact, I bet if I were using 1024 x 768 (most common screen resolution) I wouldn't even see any products without having to scroll. People on the internet aren't that diligent!

I think your front page could offer more "pow" factor by having more products displayed. People are coming to your site looking for products, and if all they see are a smattering of anemic pictures floating around in a table, they might not think you have that much to say. You could also have a "read more" button or something in those boxes. You need more call-to-action objects on your site in general... buy now! read more! Tell your visitors what to do!

On that note, when I do click through on a product and read all the info down the page... then what? There's no buy button! I have to scroll back up the page (if I've got the smarts to do that) and look for the buy button on the right. Make it easy for your customers!

You dont' appear to have done much on-page SEO on your site (although I've only looked at a couple of pages). You need to make sure you're using H1 tags with your keywords inside them. Make sure you've seen our SEO lessons in the SEO section here in Affilorama.

You've got something funky going on in your HTML... it's like it's trying to start a whole new page halfway down the page. I see <html><head> etc tags and everything. There must be something wrong in your templates or similar. Don't know whether it's going to hurt you all that much, but it's a good idea to clean this stuff up.

While you're there, think about using an external stylesheet rather than putting it all in the head of every single page. You'll save yourself some bandwidth and increase your page load time (a tiny bit).

In general I think a really good idea would be to look at really big, popular retail sites like Amazon.com and see how far you can emulate what they're doing in terms of design and layout. These guys will have spent a great deal of money getting the most optimal layout for their site, and the best converting buttons and navigation, and you can just swoop in and "take inspiration" from their ideas for free! :)

You did say "be brutally honest"! ;)
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

mikekaz
Trust:
This is perfect! Thank you. The site I use for this isn't very flexable with out having to rebuild a whole new site which what im probably going to do. I have recently switched my focus to doing Affiliate Work. I will post my affiliate site in a couple days. Thanks for the honesty!

This topic was started on Jan 12, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.