Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Should you buy just the .com, or the .com, .org, and .net?

kurt
Trust:

Should you buy just the .com, or the .com, .org, and .net?

I have come up with a really great name for a website that I plan on building later on after I have more experience building websites. But, since nobody has thought of it yet and it's a really good idea and good domain name, I figured I should go ahead and purchase the domain before somebody beats me to it. But, I'm not sure if I should just get the .com, or should I also get the .org and .net?

I foresee this becoming a very popular site in this particular niche or community. And a very big site like Affilorama. So, I figured I'd check to see how Mark Ling done Affilorama. I see he's got the .com, and .org. He just has his .org redirected back to the .com. He might also have the .net, but I can't tell because there is currently an error with that page - it doesn't redirect.

Should I get all three or what?

Thanks
PremiumMember
matty
Trust:
If you really plan for it to become huge like Affilorama, then it can't hurt to buy them.
It could save you some problems in the future.

If the $30 per year is no burden to you then it really can't hurt. If in the end you find you don't want the site, then it's really only $30 down the drain.

For smaller niche sites though I only ever really bother with buying the .com

This topic was started on Mar 05, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.