Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

My WordPress Is Stuck!

PremiumMember
kieran
Trust:

My WordPress Is Stuck!

I am having a weird problem with 2 pages of my AB WP Theme site. It started when I tried to change the product that I have been promoting. Since I am using php redirects this was a simple task, merely changing the product name in my html "recommends" codes and creating new directories via Filezilla. It has worked perfectly for 4 of the 6 page changes, but the other 2 pages appear to be "stuck" in their old format.

By this I mean that, whatever I do to edit the page text or html in WP, the old pages stay stubbornly on the internet website. I can update the page material or html until blue in the face, but the website pages do not update. If I go into Page Source I can see the old format but have no way of editing it.

My first "fix" was to delete the pages and then reload new pages. No change, same problem as before. I then deleted the actual file directories via Filezilla, then created new pages and published them. All worked well until I changed the URLs to the old ones (I need these because of backlinks). Suddenly the old pages reappeared on the website!

I have deactivated the only plug-in that might have a bearing on this (a WP Database Backup) but no difference. It is as if there is a memory base somewhere in the ether that keeps track of some (not all) of my pages.

This really has stumped me. What I want to do is edit the page source material, but I don't know where this is or how to do it.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions to help me sort this problem out?

Kieran
Kieran

www.moneymakingbuzz.com - the Key to Online Wealth
www.buildthingsdirect.com - the Top Site for Home Improvement Projects

potpiegirl
Trust:
Hi Kieran =)

Sorry to hear you're having such an annoying issue! I'm quite familiar with the things that make you want to put your fist right thru your computer monitor! haha!

While I am really familiar with WP, I'm not entirely sure of what's going on for you. However, my first course of action is to always try the simple thing first.

Now, this may sound silly, BUT...

Have you cleared the cache of those "problem" pages to be sure YOU are seeing the latest and newest version of that page?

I'm not a techie person, but in short, our computers tend to hang on to past versions of a page so it makes it easier to load. Sometimes that means we don't see changes that others DO see on our sites.

So, real quick thing to try so we can rule this out is this....

When viewing a page on your site that you just changed, push F5 on your keyboard. This will cause the page to reload and then display the latest version of that page.

(note: I'm on a PC so if the F5 thing is different for a MAC, I hope someone will say something...lol)

Yep, that is painfully simple, but I like to rule of the simple things first =)

Jennifer
~PotPieGirl

PS- Just a note from someone who had her main blog hacked a few months ago and lost YEARS of blog posts.... PLEASE be sure to reactivate that backup plug in. If I didn't have that, I would STILL be crying and all my work would be gone. Thankfully, I DO use it and I put my site completely back together in about 5 minutes. Priceless.
PremiumMember
kieran
Trust:
Hi Jennifer

Thanks so much for your advice. Yes, I did refresh the pages after making the changes, but still I got the old pages showing on the website. If only I could get at the page source material and edit it I think I could cure the problem.

On the backup plugin, I have not used it yet (only just installed it, lol) but do religiously download the database and public.html directories every week. I know this should be more frequent but the download via Filezilla takes such a long time.

Many thanks once again

Kieran
Kieran

www.moneymakingbuzz.com - the Key to Online Wealth
www.buildthingsdirect.com - the Top Site for Home Improvement Projects

This topic was started on Dec 12, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.