Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How To Create If/Then Formula For Excel

PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:

How To Create If/Then Formula For Excel

I know there are excel forums, but I never get a response from them. I know there are some excel studs here so here's what I got:

I need to write a if/then formula changing only my cells with numbers but give the cells with alph-numeric values a separate value. Basically I've got a column with both numeric and alpha-numeric values and I need to give different values to each through an if/then formula. Help!!

Thanks!!

Jason
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Jason,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your post. I am no expert in MS Excel, but I think you need to be specific when it comes to if/then formulas. For example, you can only specify a particular number "if x=1, then change to y". Or something to that effect.

The following tutorial might be able to better illustrate what I'm trying to say:
Create Conditional Formulas

I appreciate your patience and hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hey Jason,

If I understand it, you're data is like this?
12345,<formula>,transformed_number
123AB,<formula>,ALPHANUMERIC
76829,<formula>,transformed_number
YZ123,<formula>,ALPHANUMERIC

If so, you can use this formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(<CELL>),<NUMBERFORMULA>,'ALPHANUM')

E.g.
=IF(ISNUMBER(A1),A1*12345,'ALPHANUM')

This topic was started on Oct 18, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.