Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Dividing your website into categories - how should I do this

ronheller
Trust:

Dividing your website into categories - how should I do this

Hello Marc and all,

Congrats on putting together Affilorama! Looks like a great resource.
I just finished watching the 90 days plan videos, and I'm now watching the other videos. Have a few questions:

1. In the 90 days plan you say we should have "categories" in our website, and that we should divide our keywords into categories. But when I take a look at your sites e.g. hairstylestips.com, I see that all the pages are articles around keywords such as:

Wedding Hair Styles
Short Hair Styles
Black Hair Styles
Celebrity Hair Styles
Prom Hair Styles
Teen Hair Styles
Long Hair Styles
Advice On Hair Color
Hair Style Tips
Make Up and Hair Tips
etc.

So there are no categories, are there? just articles on differant sub-subjects. (correct me if I'm wrong)

So my question is: should I have categories or just a list of articles... And if I should have categories - how should I structure the site?

2. When choosing keywords for my site at wordtracker, should I pay any attention to the competition? I watched the video about wordtracker and you do mention the competition, but not what to do with it...are there any rules about how much competition you should have, which keywords to choose etc.?

Hope my questions are not too complicated :wink:
Thanks
Ron
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hi Ron,

Yes you should have categories. I don't always do things correctly, but yes if you plan on making your site very big, then you should categorise the various areas/sup topics of your website.

There is a great free book on it at www.seo2020.com (see the backlink report).

When choosing keywords for my site at wordtracker, should I pay any attention to the competition? I watched the video about wordtracker and you do mention the competition, but not what to do with it...are there any rules about how much competition you should have, which keywords to choose etc.?

I recommend you choose at least 50% of your keywords, irrespective of your competition, and 25-50% of those with less competition.

Best regards,
Mark
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

ronheller
Trust:
Hey Marc,
Thanks for your guidance.

Ron