Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Categories as keywords

PremiumMember
stiznef
Trust:

Categories as keywords

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering about categories in wp themes.

I've been creating each category to match the keyword for the post.

I noticed in Marks Webinar that he created just a few categories and I suppose intends to file the various posts under certain categories.

Is the way I've been doing it gonna mess things up for SEO?

In permalinks I'm only using /%postname%/ not categories.

Do I need to switch everything for optimum seo?

Thanks,

Stiz
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Stiz,
This is up to you really but what you have is fine.
If you think you will have a lot of categories then you can just have the various posts under certain categories.
For a niche WP site/blog, I would have just the postnames as the site may be about red socks and you will have 30 articles about red socks. So red socks is in itself a category really but you have a whole site about it.
I would have seperate categories if the niche was on different things and aspects.

For example, just say I had on my blog a category like PPC and another about blogging and another about SEO, then yes.. they all deserve different categories.
But if my blog was solely on just SEO, then I may just put all the post names under 1 category (SEO)

Hope that helps.
Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

sandsbeck
Trust:
Let's say that I have subcategories:

Is it better to make WP subcategories or to combine the the subcategories into a category (flatening it out).

Main Topic
Category1
Subcategory1
Subcategory2
Subcategory3
Category2
Subcategory1
Subcategory2
Subcategory3

<or>

Main Topic
Category1 Subcategory1
Category1 Subcategory2
Category1 Subcategory3
Category2 Subcategory1
Category2 Subcategory2
Category2 Subcategory3

Stan

This topic was started on Dec 11, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.