Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Building a website through the use of a third party product

ruttandavid8
Trust:

Building a website through the use of a third party product

Greetings fellow affiliate marketers.

I have a few questions that require answers and any help is greatly appreciated.

1- I feel as if it is necessary for me to learn coding languages that are related to website building such as HTML, PHP, CSS, and Javascript. Any recommendations as to where to learn these languages?

2- Affiliotheme is great, although I have decided to use a different theme for my website. I am a little confused as to if the layout will be the same as Affiliotheme if I purchase one from a different vendor. I am still relatively new to affiliate marketing and am at odds in regards to utilizing step 3 and 4 mainly because these steps are based on Affiliotheme.

3- Are there any website recommendations in regards to purchasing a word-press theme? Will these themes purchased require me to learn any of the above coding languages in order to properly use them?

4- Will Google consider content such as flash games duplicate if I get them from another website rather then hire programers to build me new ones? Will I get slapped for this?

5- I was wondering where to find writers capable of coming up with recipes for my site. Is iwriter suitable for this?

My apologies for the large amount of text, thank you for taking the time to read.

Kind regards -Dave
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Dave,

1- I feel as if it is necessary for me to learn coding languages that are related to website building such as HTML, PHP, CSS, and Javascript. Any recommendations as to where to learn these languages?

You don't really have to but having a bit of knowledge on HTML helps when building sites. You can go over the lessons in W3Schools

2- Affiliotheme is great, although I have decided to use a different theme for my website. I am a little confused as to if the layout will be the same as Affiliotheme if I purchase one from a different vendor. I am still relatively new to affiliate marketing and am at odds in regards to utilizing step 3 and 4 mainly because these steps are based on Affiliotheme

Affilotheme has a different structure than other themes, but you should be able to use other Wordpress themes just fine. Which steps are you referring to? Are you referring to Step 3 Video 3 and 4 in Affiloblueprint?

3- Are there any website recommendations in regards to purchasing a word-press theme? Will these themes purchased require me to learn any of the above coding languages in order to properly use them?

We don't have any recommendations. Themeforest is pretty popular and they have a lot of themes your can choose from. You don't really need to learn any coding languages to use these themes. Themes are set up to look a certain way so they don't require any HTML or coding. Not unless you like the theme but want to tweak it some more to look like what you want.

4- Will Google consider content such as flash games duplicate if I get them from another website rather then hire programers to build me new ones? Will I get slapped for this?

I don't think so as long as you give credit to the site where you got the games from.

5- I was wondering where to find writers capable of coming up with recipes for my site. Is iwriter suitable for this?

I'm not sure about recipes but you're sure to find good writers in iWriter who can write the content on your site for you.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Advice:
Knowledge of HTML and CSS can be a big help in making WordPress themes more flexible. Learning PHP is not really necessary, but will certainly give you advanced power Vs most competitors. I consider it important enough that I'm gradually learning PHP myself.

PHP is a true programming language and more challenging to learn than "Pseudo-Code" like HTML or CSS (which use easy English-like elements). For example, you need to set up a local Apache testing web server on your computer, etc. If you want to do this, I recommend a book, "PHP Solutions" by David Powers, and installing the "XAMPP" product.

PHP knowledge would let you re-design WordPress themes, rather than just changing their formatting via HTML and CSS.

For learning HTML and CSS, I recommend using books. O'reilly publishing has particularly good books for programmers.

CSS has an "Inline" use, where you put CSS codes directly into your WordPress Pages, Posts and widget "text" boxes - very handy. By installing the "Advanced Code Editor" plugin, you can also easily edit your theme's CSS layout and formatting. This makes formatting automatic, rather than using inline CSS in each page or post.

I also recommend staying away from free WordPress themes (many written poorly by amateurs). I use the commercial "Genesis" framework and it's child themes from StudioPress.com - as do many online marketers.

There are also good WordPress plugins for SEO - particularly Joost De Valk's ("Joast") "WordPress SEO", which I find superior to the "All-In-One-SEO" plugin often recommended here ("All-In-One..." is older and folks here may not be aware of the superiority of "Joast's" "WordPress SEO" plugin).

ELance.com is a good job portal for finding contractors.

Hope this helps...
_jim coe

This topic was started on Oct 04, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.