Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Anyone using Dreamweaver?

icj1
Trust:

Anyone using Dreamweaver?

I'm having a problem getting a "wallpaper" effect uploaded. I have set my site in page with border style (actual page/panel setting is 720) in similar manner to most other "IM" & "niche" sites and as described in Mark's early site design help video.

Using page properties I can quite easily set a background colour for this in page settings and also, a background "wallpaper" image. It also works nicely in my I.E. "F12". However, when I upload it, it will only show the colour (default or chosen).

How do background colour & background image work with one another? How do I specify/prioritise one over the other?

Thanks in advance for advice.

icj
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hi icj,

I suspect that you haven't uploaded your background image, or if you have, the path to the background image is wrong. A lot of people add images to their webpage from their computer, and then when they upload the site the path to the image reads something like:

C:\\documents and settings\great website\background.img

You can check what it is in your site by viewing the "code" of the page. (Easy way... just go View > Source in your browser)

If you really want to test it out, upload your background image, and then try to find it by typing it into your browser address bar. Once you've found it, copy the address in the address bar and stick that into your HTML as the location of the background image.

How do background colour & background image work with one another? How do I specify/prioritise one over the other?

Background image will always have priority over background colour. A lot of people set a background colour to display while the image is loading, and then the background image comes in over top of it.

Let us know if you still can't get it to work.

Mark
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

icj1
Trust:
Thanks Mark, yup, pages reloaded - but forgot pic. Schoolboy error - doh.