Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

A Records and domain names

lablori
Trust:

A Records and domain names

Hi all

I have a question for you about host records.

I have an affiliate site that is hosted for me by the affiliate (a product site) using my own domain name and pointed the A hosting record to the affiliate site - all works great. I'll refer to it as my affiliatedomain.com

But, I have a blog for it behind one of my other self hosted domains (referred to as mydomain.com) and would like to point blog.affiliatedomain.com (or affiliatedomain.com/blog) to the mydomain.com/blog address. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. Is it possible?

My main hosting account allows me to have unlimited subdomains, but if I create a subdomain for the affiliatedomain.com name, would it mess up the store displaying correctly???

I want to add a forum/community site to the affiliatedomain.com as well and not sure if I can do it or not. I know how to install the software, but not how to point to it witht he correct domain name.

Hope that makes sense :P
vqaa
Trust:
A little unsure
Do you want visitors to be able to acces the blog and forum from my affiliatedomain.com
if so you would need to add links (nav bar) on my affiliatedomain.com to blog and forum and vice versa
It would mean having acces to the product site files so you can alter them

subdomains and directories will not mess up the main site, the only way you can do that is if you add files to the product store directory

you can point them to my affiliatedomain.com with redirects but this would mean your visitors would not have acces to read them as they would be redirected
lablori
Trust:
My problem is that since the affiliate hosts the website for me, I do not have access to their hosting to add redirects, etc. I do have a link on the store to the blog, but not properly as it's domain.

I want to basically cloak where the blog is located so it doesn't appear as a separate domain name other than the site the blog is for which is what it is doing right now.

Not sure if we can post links here but I'll take the risk.
The store in question is: http://www.simplypleasuresextoys.com
The blog is http://www.sensual-desire.com/simplypleasure/

but I want the blog to be accessible from say blog.simplypleasuresextoys.com

Hope that makes more sense :P

This topic was started on Jul 07, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.