Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Will a blank forwarding page harm my site's ranking?

thabacus
Trust:

Will a blank forwarding page harm my site's ranking?

In order to promote a Clickbank product, I'm sending traffic to a single page within my website. This page is blank (apart from the words "one moment please") and simply forwards the traffic to my Clickbank affiliate link.

I'm concerned that Google will penalise my website because of:
(a) the blank page.
(b) the bounce rate - visitors will only spend a couple of seconds on the site before being forwarded.

Are my concerns unfounded? Should I scrap the idea and buy a new domain just for such a purpose?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
David
www.withu.co.uk

valcine
Trust:
I would venture that this would be harmful. A high bounce rate is never good.
thabacus
Trust:
Thanks Valcine for that. Appreciate your comment. I've been trying to find a way around the problem, and think I may have come up with a solution.

Adding the meta tag <meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" /> tells the search engines not to index that page and not to spider any links from that page. I'm going to try that - unless anyone has a better solution...
David
www.withu.co.uk

This topic was started on Jun 11, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.