Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Which directories are worthwhile submitting to?

nerodea
Trust:

Which directories are worthwhile submitting to?

Hey Marc,

Just wanted to know if you may have the answer to this. Is there a such thing as a directory that is not worthwhile? If so, what types of directories should i submit to, and which one should i stay away from? Is PR a deciding factor, and is there anything else a person should look out for if they want to submit to a quality directory?
alvin
Trust:
Hope you don't mind if I reply to this...

The primary purpose you'd want to be in a directory is to benefit from the high PR (which is believed to increase your own PR).

Some directories with little or no PR will require you to subscribe to their email list or even to trade links to be in them. I normally stay away from those.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
nerodea wrote:Is there a such thing as a directory that is not worthwhile? If so, what types of directories should i submit to, and which one should i stay away from? Is PR a deciding factor, and is there anything else a person should look out for if they want to submit to a quality directory?

Yes there are directories that are not worthwhile. Not everything is worthwhile in life and as with everything, the good requires patience and searching. Major directories that will benefit you are ones such as DMOZ, BCentral, Skaffee, GoGuides, Arelis, and others. You could also count Ezine articles in there too if you wanted too.

You want to stay away from directories known as link farms. What these directories do is allow you to submit your site information and "Blast Ad" them to "millions" of sites. This is a waste of time because their links pages are constantly getting changed and thus your link never receives any value. Plus they count as link farms.

PR is not a deciding factor unless you are crazy about PR. What a high PR link will do for your site (over time) is give you a trust authority link and say in the internet. It's weight will be worth more than hundreds of PR0 sites.

Adrian,