Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Organizing site on large product into pages and categories

jcdean
Trust:

Organizing site on large product into pages and categories

I am building what I hope to be my first succesfull WP Blog.

I am doing it about a physical product. For this Physical product there are several different types, dozens of sub types,and thousands of different brands and modles.

I could eventually have hundreds of articals about the individual makes and models. Low comp on the long tail ;)

My question is......

Do I put the types of this product into different pages or different catigories?
Should I put larger categories (types) into Pages and Sub categories (types) into different categories?

How will having different pages effect SEO. Will having different pages make me lose link juice?

In short when to use a category and when to use a page?????

Hope this make since to some one. Thanks!!!
Respect,
J.C. Dean
http://KillYourDayjob.com

wollowra
Trust:
Hi Jc,
I would just put the main categories of each widget and then put the types of widgets.
EG:

Category- SOX
Sub Categories- Blue Sox , Red Sox etc..

Don't worry about link juice if you are going to have that many pages.
Most likely every single page on your site will be ranked differently depending on popularity of the sub categories and the keywords you target.
You will find a few sub categories will be money makers and the others not so much.
You can then think about traffic and link juice and tweak a few things.
People will be landing on Sub Category pages anyway in relation to their search query.
My advice, build a good site that users will find easy to navigate with great info on it.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

jcdean
Trust:
Thanks Troy,
You always come through.
Respect,
J.C. Dean
http://KillYourDayjob.com

This topic was started on Jan 06, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.