Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Does Google Like Duplicate Content? Yes!!

steve8755
Trust:

Does Google Like Duplicate Content? Yes!!

Many think Google will drop you down the page rankings if you have duplicate content. But you can see duplicate content on the first page of Google all the time.

First let's define duplicate content. Having the same content on different pages of the same site. This is the key.

But, you can have the same content on different sites. The best way is to see this in action.

Google a popular review site. Then copy a paragraph from the review.

Paste the paragraph in the search bar with quotation marks at the beginning and end of the paragraph. This means Google will search for sites with these exact words only.

Google will search a maximum of the first 32 words in the search bar.

Then you will see the different sites that contains these exact words. This was an eye opener for me, I always thought Google didn't like duplicate content, until I understood what duplicate content actually was.
Learn how to make money online, drive free traffic, and create blogs and websites with ease.
http://www.getoutofdebtlikeme.com

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Hey Steve,

Many think Google will drop you down the page rankings if you have duplicate content. But you can see duplicate content on the first page of Google all the time.

Perhaps you can share with us a search query that will give us a whole lot of duplicate content on the first page of search results? The only time I see this "all the time" is in the case of things like song lyrics, where frankly it can't be avoided.

Then you will see the different sites that contains these exact words.

This doesn't mean it's ranking well for any search terms. Just because it's in Google's index, doesn't mean Google is smiling upon it. There are two ways that duplicate content can be dealt with: Complete de-indexing (not all that likely, unless it's very obvious that you're trying to manipulate the search engines), or just not having a chance to rank well. Most of the time, duplicate content will just not rank well.

You can certainly find content duplicated on the web. Sometimes sites can get away with it (ie, rank well) if there is a substantial amount of additional unique content on the page, or if they just quote a portion of the content (as is the case with "review roundup" type articles). But it's a very big stretch to say that "Google likes duplicate content".
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

squierslydia
Trust:
Matt Cutts said you should not stress about it, in the worse non-spammy case, Google may just ignore the duplicate content.

This topic was started on Dec 27, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.