Affilorama Birthday
Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Do I Have to Use the target Keywords in the Categories?

PremiumMember
kanejohnston
Trust:

Do I Have to Use the target Keywords in the Categories?

How important is it for seo to include the full title of the article and therefore the keyword for the article in the categories menu?

The reason I ask is that my articles are very informative and useful articles for the end reader as I am trying to build a website that people will find useful information on, organized in a reader friendly fashion, BUT I have been forced to work my selected keywords into the article titles and the really don't need to be there.

Take the wholesale sourcing niche, an example would be If I wrote an article on sourcing "finding suppliers who will dropship" the article would include a keyword such as "dropship iphone", so the article title would be "finding suppliers who will dropship iphone 5's". Im forced to do this type of thing with most of my articles, but in my opinion it would look cleaner and more professional if the title of this article in the menu was "finding dropshippers" or something similar.

My logic here is that yes, not using the keyword is bad for internal linking structure but if not using it means that users will enjoy my site more, stay on it longer reducing bounce rate and come back to it for more information the positive seo implications out way the negative.

After all I keep being told to build a site with the reader in mind.

Any thoughts appreciated :)
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Kane,

You should always put users and user experience first as your site is for them, not for the search engines. Using your example, your articles would be about finding dropshippers for various items such as finding dropshippers for the iPhone 5s, finding dropshippers for baby swimsuits, and the how to find dropshippers guide. These articles could all be put under the category "Finding Dropshippers" not because they are using the same keyword, but because each of the article is about finding a dropshipper.

I suggest you look at your keywords and lump them together under one main category. Most of the time, the category would also be the main keyword. I suggest you look at Mark's Enlightenment Gateway site. You would notice his categories are using his target keywords, or part of his target keyword. This helps the on-page SEO of the site, but helps users navigate the site as well.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

PremiumMember
kanejohnston
Trust:
Thanks for your reply.

What I ment was not the category but the actual title of the article when locating it in the menu Eg. The user sees an article called "finding dropshippers" in the menu and upon clicking it is taken to the article titled "finding dropshippers for iphone 5s"

This topic was started on Jul 27, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.