Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Are all PR 5 sites created equal?

burkhardt5
Trust:

Are all PR 5 sites created equal?

This is going to be kind of hard to describe so please bare with me.
I have read allot of info about how important it is to get backlinks from high PR websites and it makes good sense, but I have also read that you shouldn't get caught up in only getting high PR links. Some people even say that any link is a good link and just get as many as you can regardless of PR. As far as I can tell, any link that is NOT from some kind of offensive or illegal site will count as a good link for your SERP but the PR of the page that the link is on will effect the PR of your page which brings me to my main question. If I get a link from a PR 5 blog but the page that the link is on is not rated by google am I still getting any benefit from the home page being a PR 5 or is it the same as any other not rated by google page. Also if I get a link from a PR 5 article site or PR 5 directory site or any other type of PR 5 site are they all considered to be the same quality in the eyes of google. I have been doing lots of article marketing to get backlinks and I also did an experiment with one of my pages just getting links from directory sites that had good PR. The page that I got links just from directory sites has not ranked as well as my others that I am working with articles, is it the PR or maybe the fact that the article relevance helps the links credibility?
Thank You
Paul Burkhardt
Never Give Up!!!
Paul J. Burkhardt

joshuas
Trust:
If I get a link from a PR 5 blog but the page that the link is on is not rated by google am I still getting any benefit from the home page being a PR 5

There is some benefit because of authority passed down but it is definitely NOT the same as getting a link from a PR5 page.

if I get a link from a PR 5 article site or PR 5 directory site or any other type of PR 5 site are they all considered to be the same quality in the eyes of google

Like the previous question, same thing applies here. You also need to keep in mind that Page Rank is a 'pseudo' ranking that Google releases to the public that only gets updated every quarter or so. This is why aside from page rank, you need to concentrate on link QUALITY which comes from factors like anchor text, do-follow links and so on.

This is probably one of the key reasons why you get better results from article directories. As you've already pointed out, article relevance does seem to make a difference.

Joshua
faradina
Trust:
Hi Paul,

I did a test last year. I published an article on my personal blog and also submitted it to ezinearticles (they allow you to do that if you are the author of the article and can prove it) and found that submitting to a site that has pages with PR means that your own article page on that site will have more chance of getting PR.

The article on my blog does not yet have PR but the same article on ezinearticles is now PR1. See

faradina.com/writing-effective-college-admission-essays

and compare it with

ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Write-Effective-College-Admission-Essays&id=4049124

This topic was started on Mar 12, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.