Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Google anayltics

mark schaaf
Trust:

Google anayltics

I track google analytics every day as well as use google keyword tool to find the best keywords. With that in mind I am on google page 1 position 1 for about 7 of the 12 keywords I track and google say the traffic potential for I guess all the keywords combined are about 5000 a month but with this much traffic that they say is out there to be had I am only getting about 500 hits a month.

The keywords I am on top for are the ones they say I should get the most traffic from so my question is why am I not getting at least a couple thousand hits a month based on what google says.

It shouldn't matter what the site looks like or if people don't like what they see because they haven't clicked anything yet. I have been told for so long that once you get to google #1 that you will get all this traffic but I am not seeing it. What could be going on.
Mark

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
there are a lot of factors. Your headlines and descriptions are the sales copy to get the click. usually thats the first thing I look at. How engaging is your headline? how do you write your page descriptions? are they engaging? do you have a call to action asking people to click the link and read the article? do they pomise to fulfill an emotional need?

It all comes down to testing and seeing if there is a change in your results..

also, with more and more adwords ads going above the search results, less and less traffic hits the search results pages.
another thing to consider is are you looking at exact search or broad match?

I generally look to get about 15-20% of the traffic that searches for any particular term to actually click and come to my website once I have it tweaked to maximum performance.

So if a term has 1000 monthly searches, I can probably expect to get about150- 200 clicks to my site from that term.

Also, realize the numbers is based totally on past history. I believe they use an average of 3 months.
some terms will remain consistent, but some terms fluctuate over time. Just because 5000 people searched last month doesn't mean 5000 people will search this month.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

mark schaaf
Trust:
Thanks for your input James but one thing I have noticed a lot lately is that what I see in google and yahoo when I am looking at my listing in the search is that my description isn't there and that google and yahoo often takes some line of text from an article and use it instead. I don't know why they do this but i have seen it in several of my pages listings when I am checking thing in the search results. I did read somewhere in some google article that they don't always use the description provided my the site owner so sometimes it seems like we can tell people what we want to
Mark

This topic was started on Feb 01, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.