Affilorama Birthday
Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Domain Selection Questions

dubie217
Trust:

Domain Selection Questions

OK, so I am trying to pick a keyword rich domain name that gets a lot of searches a month and I "THINK" I found one but I have a few questions. I went to the Google Keyword Tool and typed in my niche and found several possible keywords getting a lot of searches Globally. One I found had close to 400,000 searches a month and when I type in the keyword term with quotes in Google there are only about 30K competing pages. Here is where my questions comes into play. I am in the United States and the keyword term is only relevent in the UK. Does Google know where I am searching from and only display relevent content to me in the US or will it display the same content to someone searching for the same term in the UK?

Secondly, my search term is a variation of a company name. I am not going to reveal my niche or keyword but an example would be if my niche was hamburgers and my keyword was Mcdonalds-Hamburgers.net. Is there any legal or copywright issues for me to build a site around this type of domain?
The Death of Email Marketing!!!!!!
http://bit.ly/gON7RT

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Dubie217 wrote:OK, so I am trying to pick a keyword rich domain name that gets a lot of searches a month and I "THINK" I found one but I have a few questions. I went to the Google Keyword Tool and typed in my niche and found several possible keywords getting a lot of searches Globally. One I found had close to 400,000 searches a month and when I type in the keyword term with quotes in Google there are only about 30K competing pages. Here is where my questions comes into play. I am in the United States and the keyword term is only relevent in the UK. Does Google know where I am searching from and only display relevent content to me in the US or will it display the same content to someone searching for the same term in the UK?

The results would be dependent on the search settings of the user. If the location (UK) is specified on the Global Preferences ( http://www.google.com/preferences?hl=en ) then it will display relevant content in the UK. But if the keyword is unique in UK and the user did not set any location then the search results would display the same content wherever they are based.

Dubie217 wrote:Secondly, my search term is a variation of a company name. I am not going to reveal my niche or keyword but an example would be if my niche was hamburgers and my keyword was Mcdonalds-Hamburgers.net. Is there any legal or copywright issues for me to build a site around this type of domain?

It would be best NOT to use a company/product name in your domain. These are usually protected by copyright so your site might get suspended because of copyright infringement.
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

esolutions
Trust:
Hi Dubie217,

Even worse than being suspended, the copyright owner can legally force you to rescind the rights of the site to them. Don't try to make a play on well known brands, they will cut you down faster than you can believe.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

This topic was started on Feb 16, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.