You will find the latest news and what is happening at Affilorama here. Any new announcements will be posted here before anywhere else.

Very New To Affilorama

bede
Trust:

Very New To Affilorama

Hi There,

I am from Sydney Australia. I am a techno phobic when it comes to the net and computer use. I even have differculties negotiating this forum.I like the feel of Affilorama and I am from Christchurch way back.

Is there a dictionary of terms I could get hold of about affiliate marketing,web site design etc.I am in a semantic jungle at the moment and I must admit a little confused by all the new things talked about.

I am glad to be here and looking forward to be cured of my techno phobic concerns.I am past 50 years old and have chosen this place to get up to date.By the looks of things so far this seems to be a good place to be.

Best Wishes
Bede
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Welcome along Bede,

Just take your time... it's a slow learning process... think of it as a daily hobby!
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
hey Bede,

Don't try and understand all of this stuff overnight. Take your time and learn at your own pace.

And let us know if you need a hand.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hey Bede,

A glossary of terms is a pretty good idea!

I did a basic search for "web design dictionary" and "affiliate marketing glossary" and came up with a couple of sites that might help you.

http://www.motive.co.nz/glossary/index.php
http://www.marketingterms.com/dictionary/

and not forgetting the old favourite... http://www.wikipedia.org

Generally if you don't know what something is, just google it. Good to see another Christchurch..ian... on the forum! Like the other guys said, just take it easy. You'll start absorbing stuff as you go, and soon enough you'll be able to talk jargon like a pro!

All the best,
Mark
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

bede
Trust:
Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the encouragement and good advice of making haste slowly.As I go thru each lesson starting from the beginning six free courses I will jot down all terms I don't understand or concepts i am not clear on.

It is so good to see that I will have good relevant help as I move along.Thanks again.As you can see I am getting the hang of using the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is BBCode?and the two items below it.What are the options to the left of those?how do I save the replies I get like this so I can access them when I want to?Is there a video on the mechanics of using the forum?

Bede
bede
Trust:
Hi Mark,

Thanks fot the two sites with all the terms of this new activity for me.They both look what I was looking for.

Bede
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
BBcode is the code that allows you to make words bold, link to websites, insert an image, etc.... but only in this forum.... anotherwords it replaces HTML which is the standard code for websites.... most if not all forums use BBcode.
bede
Trust:
you say

"BBcode is the code that allows you to make words bold, link to websites, insert an image, etc"

could you give me an example of that? Is it like a programme that you cant see but does things.Sorry about being thick on this but all this HTML BBCode is hard for me to think with in a clear way for some reason.

Bede
bede
Trust:
since I posted I found this on google and it has made things alot clearer.

"How does a Web page work? Well, the odds are you're sitting at your computer looking at this Web page through a browser. Most likely you're using a browser called Microsoft Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, Opera, Mozilla, or Safari. A browser is a computer software program that can take you to different places on the Web by typing in the URL of a Web page and clicking "go" or "enter" on your keyboard. A browser also looks at the HTML tags on a site and translates those tags into what you're looking at now, a Web site. Different browsers interpret HTML tags a little differently, so what you see on one browser is not necessarily what you will see on another browser. Your browser asks the Web server of the URL you're trying to reach to send the information (Web site) that you requested. The Web server sends the information back to you and you see it on your browser."

"What is HTML? HTML (hypertext markup language) is the computer language that is used to create documents on the Web. It can be kind of confusing to understand at first. HTML documents are text files that consist of HTML tags (which can place the text or images wherever you want to place them), and text you can place between the tags so that the text will show up on your page when you publish it on the WWW . Tags are instructions that tell your browser what to show on a Web page. They break up your document into basic sections. All tags start with a < (left bracket) and end with a > (right bracket)."

"What is a URL? URL stands for "uniform resource locator." It's the standard address that can take you to a document, or a specific place on a document, anywhere on the
    http://WWW.

I never really new what people meant by browser,URL,Server.It was good advice Mark to search on google.This is a page for kids and quite frankly that level works for me.

thanks again

Bede
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Bede,

When you type a message in this forum... you will see buttons above the area where you type.... "B I U Quote List Img URL" etc....

For example... I highlighted these words then clicked "B" button... made them bold.
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hey Bede,

Well, we all had to start somewhere! Keep up with the learning and you'll be fine. I'm trying to remember my first steps in learning about web design... things seem really strange, and then you suddenly make something work and it appears in your browser, and you're like, WOW! :)

Once you've got your head around these basic terms and you want to start making a web page, a really good site to look at is this one:

http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/

If you take the introductory essons in order before you try to learn a new web design software like Dreamweaver or Frontpage, things will make a lot more sense.

And don't worry too much about the intricacies of using the forum! For the most part you won't need to use any BBcode or anything to get your point across.

All the best,
Mark
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

bede
Trust:
Thanks for the web site

Bede
bede
Trust:
Hey Mark

This is a very good site for someone who doesn't know a thing.Check it out it might help people in my situation.Its for kids but is is very clearly written.

*broken link*

Bede
Last edited by michellerana on 28 Feb 10 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove broken link

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Yup, being written for kids certainly makes things clearer!

Be careful with webmonkey, though. They teach some tricks and shortcuts that are "a bit 1997" (according to my web designer) and aren't good practice these days.

For instance, they say that you don't need to close <p> tags (actually, you should close ALL tags) and that you can omit "" marks around things (for instance, height="20" width="20") because they're not really necessary. (They are.)

Use webmonkey to get a general overview of how things work, but then look at that other site I mentioned. He gets it right.

All the best!
Mark

bede
Trust:
Hey Mark,

Don't worry.I only thought of using this site for getting the concepts down ,not the application of the concepts.I wish to learn your method and how you work with the concepts.As the psychologist William James said "the one who can produce the results is the authority in any given field".So I won't be messing around with other methods unless you point to them directly.But thanks for the tip.

At the moment I am working on being clear on the terms so I can work from a context which is based on a clear understanding and free of confusion.

Bede
bede
Trust:
Mark

I have sent you two private messages but have received no answers.Am I sending them wrong .Please let me know how I can do this.

Bede