You will find the latest news and what is happening at Affilorama here. Any new announcements will be posted here before anywhere else.

I Need Advice on Email Marketing

golftrainer
Trust:

I Need Advice on Email Marketing

I am an 11 year veteran of online retail and affiliate marketing, but have come to the conclusion I am an Internet Marketer/Affiliate Marketer, and would like to get much better at my email marketing as I have a good-sized database in my niche of golf.

My only concern is how do you market consistently to this list with Clickbank and other products without diluting your list?

If this is how I'm going to make my living, I would like to hear from other experienced and successful affiliate marketers and how they do it with their valuable lists.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Oct 09 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hi Mike,

There are two essential principals to successful email marketing:

1. Email your list regularly. Email them daily for the first 7 days after they join, then continue to email them every 3 days for the following 2-3 months. After that time you can drop off to weekly, but NEVER go longer than this without emailing. A lot of affiliate marketers make the mistake of only emailing their list casually, e.g. every couple of months when they have a product to promote. But if you want to maintain a relationship with your list you've got to be consistent and email them a lot more regularly than that. Otherwise, they'll forget who you are and consider your emails spam - and consequently your conversions will drop right off.

2. Send high quality, relevant content - especially in the first 10 emails. Establishing a reputation for high quality, valuable content (not just sales stuff) is also extremely important. Ensure that about 6 out of every 7 emails contain instructional content, the 7th can be a hard sell. You can still promote products in your instructional emails, but keep your promotion subdued. You won't dilute your list as long as you stick to this ratio and continue to email them regularly. Of course, you'll always get a small percentage unsubscribing, but they are likely to be there for the wrong reasons anyway, so it's no great loss. Likewise, you don't need to be afraid that promoting products to your list will damage your relationship with them per se. Most people like to hear about products available that will benefit them - just so long as they are relevant to their needs and are balanced with good content so you don't seem like a pushy car salesman with a one-track mind!

The value in email marketing is the relationship you form with your list. If they don't hear from you for ages, or you don't send them anything of value, then just like a poorly maintained friendship, the relationship will gradually die. On the other hand, if you do put lots of time into emailing your list regularly and send them good quality information, then you'll reap the benefit of lots of loyal, repeat customers.

All the best,
Mark
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

golftrainer
Trust:
Great to hear from you Mark! It's been a long time. Hope you, your wife and your business(es) are doing well.

I was wondering how often at the very beginning and you mention daily. So would this be as you say, instructional with maybe a hard sell on email #5?

In the first 4 or so, would you make them completely informational (educational) with no mention of a product?

As you may remember, I was in the "fitness for golf" niche, and now mostly market golf instructional products, and that seems to be working.

With that being said, should I stick to mostly instructional emails, or still sprinkle in some of my fitness since I have already developed these products and still produce them, so I give up no split, I get the whole sale; it's just a much harder sale, as I've mentioned to you in the past.

Also, long term wise, how often would you market (solo blast) an affiliate product? If this is how I need to make my living, I feel I need to market to my existing list(s) at least once a week to make money to provide for my family.

Does this sound right? Would really appreciate your input on this.

Thanks,
Mike
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hi Mike,

Michelle and I are great- busy as usual! Thanks for asking :)

The best idea would be for you to follow the newsletter strategy I outlined in my Affilorama lesson here:
http://www.affilorama.com/email-marketi ... r-strategy

This contains a break-down of what emails to send out and when. You don’t need to follow this exactly, but it’s a model that’s worked really well for me in the past.

To briefly answer your other questions:
• There’s no problem including some emails about golf fitness – this is an important issue for golf enthusiasts after all. As long as the bulk of your emails are instructional, you can intersperse with emails on a range of topics related to golf, especially if you find good affiliate products on them.
• Regarding solo blasting an affiliate product: In the newsletter strategy above I recommend 1 in every 7 emails is a hard sell. You don’t need to follow this precisely, but it’s a good rule of thumb. Plus you can also promote your products in your instructional emails, but that would be a lot softer.

By the way, the link to the entire email marketing section is: http://www.affilorama.com/email-marketing

Hope that helps!
Mark
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Mike, the way Mark taught me was to just deliver pure content for the duration of the mini course. If you're "selling" the mini course and keep mentioning a product it can annoy some people.

But if you just deliver good content, people will be happier at the end. And if you do a hardsell with time sensitive bonuses on the last day, you'll notice a spike in sales.

My experience as a merchant doing affiliate blasts is that every couple of weeks is fine, as long as what you're promoting is genuinely helpful. Don't keep promoting the same stuff over and over.

Hope that helps,
Sean
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
just a suggestion, what i have done is my mini course has links to articles on my site about the same topic. after the mini course i follow up with a hard sell. this will get them used to clicking a link without being sold
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

golftrainer
Trust:
I've done that before. What I am more interested in knowing is the "ongoing" affiliate marketing to my list. I mean, long-term. There must be an effective way to send "non" sales, valuable content AND offers on a weekly basis to continue making a living as an affiliate.

I would like to hear from affiliates and how they do their email marketing for the long-term.
PremiumMember
graceharman
Trust:
The longer term email marketing strategy Mark recommends still follows the one hard sell for every 7th newsletter rule, but the rest of your emails should focus on providing high quality content.
To give high quality content, most of your emails should be at least 1,000 words, and every 2nd or 3rd email should be 2,000 words. You should find you get higher conversions from the longer emails. You can still promote your products in the content emails, but it should be kept subtle. Here is an example from the Affilorama course:

“For a course that tells it like it is, and that's PACKED with spot-on, laser-accurate analyses of men, love, dating, relationships, and sex, I recommend you check this out: https://www.meetyoursweet.com/recommend ... /index.php

You’ll notice that it is carefully placed to tie in naturally with the rest of the content. It’s barely even noticeable.

Too many hard sells will make people stop opening your emails.
charlies
Trust:
Sometimes people like consistency in repetition. It shows stability. Just don't drowned em' with too much over a short period of time. Change is good but not for everything and not all the time. Look back at your sales quarters and see which periods were the most successful. I would reuse some of the ads you had running during that time period. Charlie

This topic was started on Aug 10, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.