You will find the latest news and what is happening at Affilorama here. Any new announcements will be posted here before anywhere else.

Enabling additional phpBB forum features/tools?

kjhosein
Trust:

Enabling additional phpBB forum features/tools?

Hi Affilostaff - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these forums are run on phpBB, and there are a whole host of features that phpBB has that would make using the forums a lot easier. For example, 3 jump to mind:

* the ability to mark an entire forum as read
* being able to quickly see a list of all new threads since you last logged in
* the ability to preview a post would also be fantastic

Any thoughts on enabling these and/or possibly upgrading your version?
Thanks!
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
We stripped out a bunch of stuff from phpBB when we put it into this site, because so much was unnecessary and cluttered, and confusing for the less technologically inclined.

I'm proud to say I was responsible for the banning of smilies :)

That said, those things would be quite nice. Except for post previewing. I never understood the reason for that!

I will note your suggestions, but they might be a little way down the priority list, I'm afraid.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

kjhosein
Trust:
Thanks Aletta for at least considering it. I actually quite like the uncluttered look of the forums here. In fact, I had first thought it was home-grown software.

But yes, as another example, being able to follow my *own* topics for example would be a huge time-saver. If your forum population doubled for example, it would become almost impossible to do that or really keep up.

Oh, post-previewing is pretty nice when you've got a complex post with a lot of BBcode and/or HTML, but I guess you're right it's not really needed here.

Cheers!

_Khalid
essexboyracer
Trust:
I actually quite like the stripped down look and feel of this forum, and I didnt even recognise it was phpBB! Good work to the team on customizing it
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
@ essexboyracer - Thank you! I appreciate your feedback. Not to be partial, but I also like how the Affilorama forums look although like Speed, it would be nice to subscribe to a thread without posting. I will inform our developers and see if we can have that too. :)
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

essexboyracer
Trust:
The other thing which I find useful, presentation wise, is to some how show that post has been stickied, as there are always the same posts that sit at the top of a forum. But like I said it is a really good re-work of phpBB, you have given it a blog comment type feel that makes it easy for users to post

This topic was started on Mar 12, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.