You will find the latest news and what is happening at Affilorama here. Any new announcements will be posted here before anywhere else.

Does Affilorama Really Work?

donald.ash.30
Trust:

Does Affilorama Really Work?

I don't know how long I've been at it but I know it's probably more than 60 days, and I just don't get it. No email list signups no sales, nothing. Does Affilorama really work? Was going the AffiloJetPack route the wrong idea? I know I've heard people rave about it Affilorama, but most of the people who say it rocks have been Affilo members for years. Mark seems like a pretty stand up guy I guess, but I'm still broke as hell...I mean like really broke. Is it really going to take years to see any kind of return?

I wanted to make this post because this is getting more frustrating by the day. I've been posting on forums, making ezine articles, spinning on SEO Link Vine, and removed Adsense as advised. I'm frustrated because I spend ALL of my free time on my sites, ALL of my free time doing articles and have NOTHING to show for it. People often say you should just outsource, but when I say I don't have any money, I'm not joking around. I couldn't even buy food this week. I have had the equivalent of about $7.00 in my bank account for the last to weeks, and I have about 27 cents in my wallet.

I've tried my very best to follow Mark's example nothing is happening.

I've been forum posting, I've submitedged, i-snared, modified e-books, e-zined, set up e-mail autoresponders, and I'm about ready to "e-cry" from the frustration.

I recall the Weimeraner training example and how Mark was able to generate sales within the first 30 days. Now I'm thinking that had to be done using pay per click. It just seems like if I'm really going the free route it's going to take far longer to see any kind of return 6 months? a year? It's a mystery to me.

I'm really losing it. I've been trying to make consistent money online for so long, that I don't know what else to do.

Please excuse the expression, but I feel like a "Guru Whore" except I'm not paid anything. I've tried course after course, been on this Guru's list, that Guru's list and my brain's about to implode. I know they say the vast majority of people fail because they aren't implementing what their being taught, and that's me. I have no problem working hard. The last course I tried before Affilorama, I blogged every single day for one year, seriously. I don't go out, this is all I do...exercise, work to keep my lights on, and blog.

Is it all a pipe dream? I'm just tired of trying so many different things (which is why I probably as broke as I am) just to see nothing happen.

I won't rant anymore, because it's not fix anything.

These are my two affilorama sites:

http://cnbmusclebuilding.com
http://dobermandogcenter.com

(the cnb muscle buiding one is the one I put most of my effort into)
PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
HI Donald,

I can really relate to what you're going through. It took me about 3 months of continuous work when I first got started before my SEO finally started to pay off and I began making regular income.

If you are getting no signups and no sales, it sounds like your main problem is traffic.

What kind of traffic are you getting now? None? 10 per day? 100 per day?

What kind of rankings do you have? Are you on page 2? Page 20? Not indexed?

If you're doing SEO, have you considered that maybe the keywords you're going after are too competitive?

It took me a really long time to learn how to do keyword research properly for the linkbuilding strategy I was using. Here's a post that I wrote on the specific things I look for when evaluating keywords. It is a bit long, but if you're serious about SEO, then please read this:

http://www.journeyofmyown.com/4000-word ... -research/

Also, consider other things besides SEO.

Do you have a camera? If so just start recording a few videos and post them on YouTube. They don't have to be professional or anything like that, just start talking and then put a few keywords in the title, description, and tags. Remember to link back to your site in the description and you'll start getting some YouTube traffic to help build your list.

So many people don't do this because they are afraid of actually showing themselves, but that just leaves a huge opportunity for the people out there who aren't afraid to get in front of a camera.

I don't know the dog or muscle markets, but I'd also strongly suggest that you start guest posting. This is a quick way to get some traffic.

Find some of the top blogs in your niche and submit a post to them. The important thing here is to target some of the bigger ones that actually get good traffic. Nothing is worse than guest posting and only getting a handful of visitors. Go for the big ones and you can easily get hundreds of visitors in a single day.

Use tools like compete.com to check their estimated traffic levels (I know that these sites aren't always accurate, but they should give you a good idea of whether a site is high traffic or low traffic). Check their twitter or facebook following to see if they have a large audience. Also check the number of comments each post gets. High traffic blogs tend to get lots of comments.

If you need some fast cash, I'd consider hiring yourself out as an article writer. There are people on places like Affilorama or the Warrior Forum who are eager to find writers to generate content for them.

Anyway, right now your problem is traffic, so focus on getting traffic to your website. Don't worry about loading emails to your autoresponder or anything like that just yet. Focus all your energy on getting traffic to your site. Don't just rely on SEO, think outside the box and find ways to get social traffic or video traffic and you should be able to get some faster results while you're waiting for your SEO to kick in.

I hope this helps.

-Clayton
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

chidi11
Trust:
Hi I am sorry to hear your problems and understand as I am in the same business. Unfortunatly the fitness niche is one of the most competitive so your need to find a niche within a niche and give the vistors some thing different. I can give you a couple of bits of advice which helped me untill google notices you. One look for a local bodybuilding or fitness show take a lot of business cards and hand then out I also have a podcast and ask people if they have intresting fitness related stories to email me and I will interview them(it keeps people coming back) this one thing brought thing brought me over 400 new people to me site. second put some articles in about cardio/low fat food/sleep/ its all related to fitness and google will rank you for different markets. one last thing go and have a look at the top players and take notes of what they are doing(dont copy)and change your site. Hope this helps its not easy out there
jrpventures
Trust:
It works but it takes a lot of persistence and you can never ever give up
http://www.affiliatesunderground.com
Secrets, Tips and Tricks

burkhardt5
Trust:
Hey Donald.

In Marks lessons he states that this is at least a twelve week program before you will possibly start to make sales. It took me just over a year ( only working 15 or so hours a week between work and family) before I made my first sale.

I am NOT saying this to discourage you but everyones experience will be diferent. I have been at it for two years (part time) and I am not yet making a full time income but some people can get there much quicker.

Check your stats at https://www.google.com/analytics/ and let Clayton know what kind of visits you are getting. He is a great mentor and has helped me on numerous occasions.

Like Clayton said, SEO takes time. The work that you are doing now could take months before it takes effect and makes a difference. I was close to quitting this many times but I am glad I didn't.

I read a quote that said
No one ever fails at internet marketing, they just quit before the magic happens
I remembered that every time I was ready to quit. Don't Quit!

Never Give Up!!!
Paul
Paul J. Burkhardt

Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
It's a curious thing, online business, and online training courses.

For some reason people think they'll get instant success, just because everything's virtual and involves computers (which should totally be able to automate everything for us, right?). But Internet businesses, just like everything else, require time input. They require that you learn, that you train, that you work on your business, and try different things. You can't just expect to jump into your first IM course and then have made a thousand dollars by next month.

It's kind of like expecting to get up tomorrow and go run a marathon, despite having spent the last two years sitting down for 12+ hours a day.

You need to work on it. It's new to you. Gradually you will build up your "fitness" online. You'll learn that certain things you've been doing don't work as well for *you*, and other things you've been doing work better. You'll learn that the training you've received is good all-around training, but it's only advice and you need to adapt it to your own needs, once you finally understand what those are. You'll understand the training is *not* a magic bullet, but most of it is useful in some way.

Certainly, some people do better than others. Some have a natural ability to get into shape faster. Most people simply need to stick to it - but they will eventually reach the same level. And others simply lack the willpower to stick with it at all. They pull out of the "marathon".

Problem is, you can't cross the finish line if you don't compete.

So stick with it. Learn. Adapt. Don't be afraid to change things, just make sure you watch what you change and see what effect (if any) it has.

More directly related to your question, Donald, it took me eight months to even make my first sale. In fairness, I put in (on average) less than two hours a week, and heavens knows my site certainly isn't making ongoing profits at the moment because I simply don't put in the time. Some people make a profit within a month. Some take more than a year. Affilorama is definitely still relevant. All I can advise is sticking with what you do.

"No one ever fails at internet marketing, they just quit before the magic happens"
I like that quote, Paul. I think it summarizes things quite well.
easyrider
Trust:
You can't expect to make any money within 60 days if you are a newbie. It isn't going to happen. There is just too great a learning curve.

If you aren't getting any signups or sales, this probably means that you are not getting enough targetted traffic to your site. This will take time - the traffic on my site is only starting to pick up now at the 9-10 month mark of my site.

Having said this though, I have just had a look at your Alexa Rank and it is 63364 which is extremely good for a new site. How much traffic are you getting?

I wouldn't bother with Ezine articles (which no longer carries a lot of weight) and spinning a lot of articles. You can quite easily get good links much easier than this. Try looking for authority sites in your niche that have blogs which you can comment on - especially auto-approve ones that haven't been spammed!!!

Furthermore, it took me about three months to get my first sale, so you are not alone. I have had quite a few since.

I see all this as a apprenticeship that I am serving. I have learnt most of the key skills that I need and now I know that I can throw up a new site and get it ranking and making sales in a fraction of the time.

My theory is that if other people can do it, then I definitely can. I am well educated and a lot smarter than many of the people who have been very successful online. It is just a matter of finding what works for me and being consistent at all.

My advice to you is stop chasing after all the new bright and shiny objects out there in the IM world. Stop buying the $1997 guru courses, stop buying the $497 systems that promise quick and easy riches, and stop buying all the Warrior Special Offers. The reality is that almost all of them are a bunch of hype and not much else. If the people selling them really believed that they had the winning formula, they would not be sharing it with anyone. Instead they would be working these systems extremely hard themselves.

If you need a bit of quick money, I suggest that you create ebooks for the Amazon Kindle. If you write content quickly you can submit a whole lot of small ebooks and be making money from day 1 virtually. But don't expect to make $30,000 per month like this guy Ty Cohen is talking about in his Kindle Course. This just isn't going to happen.
Greg

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Donald,

I understand where you are coming from, having come from there myself a few years back. It's frustrating to work hard at something for a long time and not see your hard labor bear fruit. In time, you will get you depressed and demotivated, completely losing focus until you give up. And that's where you will lose all the more because you invested a lot but gave up in the end.

It's hard to keep at it but I hope that you find the strength to do so. We have members here who weren't able to purchase any of our courses but were able to build their site from scratch through our free lessons. It took them about a year or two, but they are now earning from those sites.

I would do as Clayton suggested and set shop for now as a writer. There's a need for content writers and you can earn being one. You earn on the side and still get to work on your websites.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Some really great advice has been given here. One thing I would like to add...

Remember, Mark has been doing this for a long time, and he has a full time staff who are really amazing at doing all the things you are LEARNING and trying to do yourself.

If I had 30+ people working for me who all knew their jobs as well as Mark's staff does, I could be making money that fast too.

However, when you are just starting out it takes time. I have been doing this for 3 years, and when I start a new site, I don't expect any sales for at least 3-6 months. Sometimes I do get them faster, but it usually takes a while to get things going, especially if you are an unkown person in your niche.

Focus on 1 or 2 pages on your site, get them ranking, then track what people are doing on those pages. remember, you are in school right now. as a student, you need to focus on learning the process, not rushing to the finish line.

Start engaging people directly in your niche. get involved in FB groups, Google Plus, and twitter. start reading the popular blogs and become a regular contributor to their comments.

Build trust with people, and leverage that to get people to your site. it will go much faster than spamming links and hoping Google ranks you.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

burkhardt5
Trust:
As usual, great reply James.

I am glad you mentioned the going back to school angle.

When someone offline asks me what I am doing online to make money and why it took so long, I always tell them that it was like going back to school at first. When you are in school you are learning not earning. And when they ask me for details I simply say that they would not understand as it is like speaking another language.

Anyway Donald, take these replies to hart. When I first started I scheduled specific times to learn and work on this buisiness. I got up an hour early every morning before going to my job just so I could do or learn at least one thing every day, seven days a week.

It starts out slow and seems to take forever but it will work.

Also I found it best not to talk about it too much. Even your best friends may say "you can't make money online" or "those online money making things are all scams" because they don't have the guts to try it and work it like any other business.

I know this sounds a little harsh but it's true, I got mostly negative feedback from even my best friends. Then I got my first check, I made some copies of it and showed it to my friends and they don't say anything negative anymore.

Never Give Up!!!
Paul
Paul J. Burkhardt

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
great advice Paul. Many people will tell you the way to live is to get a job and make someone else rich while you live in poverty. Ask yourself if you want to take advice from someone who is content with being broke for the rest of their lives...

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
And then there are people who juggle between their websites and keeping down a 9-5 job. There are also those that find other ways to work online as a writer, graphic artist, etc. so that they can earn a stable income while they work on their sites. There are people who work so they can study and become a lawyer, a doctor, a ballet dancer.

It's a matter of getting the right perspective and not giving up on your dream.
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
That is True Cecille. It all depends on What YOU want for yourself, and following it! You may have to work temporarily for someone else while you build your dream job, but don't let that stop you from pursuing your dream. commitment is the key!

I learned a long time ago that I suck as an employee. I had to go to work for myself, so I found a way to do it. Some people are content with their life,and don't want to own their own business. it all comes down to your mindset and finding what is the most important thing to you.

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
I'll tell you it works... I have a half finished site that only has maybe 30 or so links pointing to it and has had only a half-hearted effort across 2.5 years -- and it just got me a check. Now, if a site getting maybe 300 to 500 visitors a month can eventually bring me a trickle, imagine how much sooner I could have had that trickle (or maybe even a flood) if I had put in consistent effort?

I have another site that has had much more consistent effort (over at least half of the last 8 months, at least) that while it hasn't started earning money yet, it already is getting more traffic. I'm still working on building up the traffic just a bit higher before I start seeing how to make that traffic convert better. But the key is with this site, I have had more consistent effort.

I'm still going to go back and build the other one up more as I build the newer one, but I can tell you that it can work if you have patience and put forth the effort. And stay focused!
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
I was going through some posts in the YO blog and I think this article by James would be helpful:

Stop Negative Thinking From Destroying Your Dream Job

Have a good day!
Cecille

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Thanks for sharing my article Cecille. I forgot about that one or would have linked to it myself, LOL. Glad it could be beneficial to people.

When it comes to working in ANY business, you will have some people who make it work, and others who don't. Early on, I took to heart what Mark said...

"There is no such thing as a niche with too much competition, only sites that don't do enough to be competitive"

...and I have made that a mantra for all my websites.

It all comes down to asking yourself every day "what are you willing to do to be more competitive?"

now days, more and more of a social presence in critical to being competitive. people want trust and authority before they create a buying relationship with you. In order to do that you have to be willing to get out there and become involved in the conversations.

I also would recommend this video on listening to your customers via social media (its an hour long) about ways to use social media better. it works with ANY social platform including Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Social Bookmarking sites, Forums, Blogs, and any place with social interaction between you and a potential customer, because it is more about listening to your audience than trying to make a sale.

gedwards66
Trust:
Hi Donald - your sites are good - as good as any. The problem is that this market is really over saturated, and the only real way to make money is to sell courses on how to make money. In order to sell more courses people will need to say that it is easier to do make money to setup a website than it is, and hang in there, etc. whereas in fact the only money to be made is from taking money from the people who buy the courses, and making money from a 'niche' website is virtually impossible, unless there is real value offered - rather than via making 'affiliate' income. Good luck if you want to continue - but I'd get out, not pay another penny, and maybe create some non affiliate websites, but only as a hobby that might turn good. Note: small affiliate websites are hammered by the search engines - they see them as spam - affiliate links count against the SEO. Successful affilliate websites - such as gocompare - will always appear. Getting a big email list will generally cost more money than the list will ever make. So setting up an affiliate website at this point of market saturation, and expecting it to make money is akin to looking for gold under rainbows.
PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
gedwards66,

Actually, it's very possible to make money from affiliate websites without selling courses on how to make money. I'm sorry that you apparently haven't had any luck, but I know from personal experience that it works and I know several others who don't make money from the "meta-marketing" niche, either.

And as far as email marketing "costing more than the list will ever make," that's not true either. If you can't make $20 a month from a list of 500 people on Aweber, then I would seriously question how you've set up your list and newsletter. Testing and tracking is always key to optimize your results.

I understand that niche marketing can be difficult, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

A common mistake that I see people make is that they are too fast to just pass off visitors to an affiliate link without bothering to earn the visitors' trust. This pretty much "conversion suicide" and it is why I believe many niche marketers don't earn very much.

Anyway, I can understand your frustration. Believe me, I know how difficult the struggle can really be, but I believe you are being overly cynical and too quick to label affiliate marketing as impossible.

Just my two cents...
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I agree with Clayton. A lot of people blame the system and don't take responsibility for their failures. It takes a lot of work to make money in any business, and if you think you can just throw up a few pages, throw some links at it, and make money, you will fail. it takes a lot of tracking, testing and hard work to make money as an affiliate.

There is a lot of hype in this industry, and some people don't really show how hard it is, but it is possible to build things up.

Low quality sites won't convert well, no matter what you do. However, if you create really great quality content, and engage people in your niche, you can do it.

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
I used to think the same way as gedwards66 a few years back until one of my friends showed me one of his blogs and how he is making money out of it, recommending various products. This same friend of mine started a personal blog a few years ago that he is now earning from only through AdSense. He has quit his day job and now works from home as a writer.

I have another friend who likes to set up auto-blogs (bad, I know) and these earn him a 6-figure income. This is just a hobby of his. He also has a regular job so whatever he earns from his these auto-blogs are " on the side".

You can earn online and you can do so through affiliate marketing.

You don't always have to shell out cash. We offer free lessons here. You can continue working a regular job so you can pay for the domain (which can be as low a 1.99/yr) and hosting (which you can get on a per year package with domain). You do not have to outsource. You can lways write your own content and do the backlinking yourself.

One can always find ways to make it work, and excuses if it doesn't.
Cecille

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
And as for "saturation", that's all in your mind. If you believe the market is "saturated", you'll never find people interested in what you have to offer. But if you believe that there are a lot people looking for just what you have to offer and all you have to do is find them, then find them you will!

Look at it this way. Odds are you probably have a McDonald's or a Burger King (if not both) very close to you -- most likely within a 5 to 10 minutes drive. And yet there are "mom and pop" hamburger shops popping up every day, some of which not only survive, but thrive, even in a "burger saturated" environment.

That's just one example. You can find similar examples in just about every kind of industry if you care to look.

Focus on lack, and that's what you'll find. Focus on plenty, and that's what you'll find! Practice the latter, and you'll find success!
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
Good point, Grady,

It's all about your USP (Unique Selling Proposition).

If you just offer the same bland and generic advice as everyone else, it's easy to think that a market is "saturated" because no one is paying attention to you. However, if you have a unique and clear message, then you can easily stand out in even the most crowded marketplace.

(PS: Grady, it's almost lunchtime where I live and you're making me hungry. I might have to wrastle up a burger...)
Clayton

gedwards66
Trust:
Thanks cterao, gradyp, cecille L and jmpruit for your feedback. With regard to USP - I am not sure that this makes sense in the context of affiliate marketing - you are after all not selling your own product but some one else's product.

Doing a search on Affiliorama on a search engine throws up 250,000 websites, mostly affilate sites, selling affiliorama products - it would look seem that selling 'how to make money on the internet' programs is the main affiliate income.

I think it is unfair to imply that donald.ash.30 has not done enough or worked hard enough, or the website is not good enough, or has not followed the instructions well enough. Looks pretty good to me.

I have looked at some of the Affiliorama videos, and the approach seems to be

(a) select a need (ideally desperate)

(b) write some copy to sell products that address that desperate need

(c) even create a product that ostensibly addresses a desperate need

(d) get testimonials for this product - paying for them is one method reccomended (NB this would mean that the testimonials were not really valid)

People will pay for these products because the whole shooting match is very convincing. But the collateral damage is that very large numbers of people waste great amounts of money.

Have a look at this very interesting piece by the UK BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ires_Club/

I think it gives a balanced picture, and talks to some of the victims who are chasing the dreams.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
well, if you look at make money online keywords, of course you will find people selling them in that niche. it is a profitable niche, and I do promote in it myself. HOWEVER, I actually make MORE money from other niche markets with LESS work invested in them.

Actually, the link you shared is slanted to the "victims". and ignores several key facts. It focuses on the negative aspects of what some people do, and claim that all people doing affiliate marketing do it that way, which is a lie.

It's like saying that "because alcoholics drink alcohol, all people who drink alcohol are alcoholics."

That is simply not true, and it twists the facts!

Just because some people scam google and game the system to get high search rankings, doesn't mean everyone ranking highly in Google gamed the system to get there.

I am not saying everyone will get rich following these methods. I am not rich myself, and never claim to in my promotions. In fact, I often tell people about all the hard work that they will have to do in order to see any money from this business.

There are a lot of scams out there as well, but the training here is some of the best that you will find! T
he majority of people who fail to make money in these programs did so because they don't follow several rules:

you oversimplified things. Yes, on the surface some of what you said is true. However, it takes a lot of testing to learn what sales copy converts. I never have a site that works right off the bat. it requires a lot of testing, research, and networking.

In other words, it takes HARD WORK to run a business, no matter what method you are using to monetize that business. It took me over a year to get my business profitable and it has taken me 3 years of networking and testing to feel confident in my marketing abilities. There is no "Autopilot" riches that will actually make you a ton of money. That is NOT what Mark is teaching here.

Most programs will tell you about the "overnight success" but not the years of hard work that it took to make that happen.

the difference between the "Victims" and the "Successes" in this business is the victims are looking for someone to blame for their failure, and the successes look at their failures as a learning experience and figure out where THEY made a mistake in implementing the strategy they were trying to follow.

Sometimes, its not a matter of working harder, but working SMARTER. If something isn't working, STOP, look into why it isn't working, and fix it or take a different path.

Two big areas I see this a lot is with outsourcing and paid advertising. I see people do both of these all the time and lose tons of money because they thought they could set it up one time, or hire some cheap freelancer through a freelancing site and then sit back and watch the cash roll in and never work again.

It doesn't work that way.

Have you ever had a job that you didn't have a manager or supervisor? If so, you probably didn't do the best job that you could have. Someone has to hold you accountable for doing your job.

if you are in business for yourself, then it is your customers that you are accountable to. If you aren't making money, its usually because your customers aren't getting their needs met by your business, and so they are spending money somewhere else!

if you are hiring freelancers, then you have to manage them, and hold them accountable for the job you hired them to do.

If you are using PPC advertising, you have to test and track what you are doing. Mark even once said he usually spends 500-1000 on a new PPC campaign to test it before it becomes profitable! testing is absolutely critical to your success in everything that you do online!

But, I see people all the time throwing away thousands of dollars on PPC, and when I ask them about split testing and tracking what worked and what didn't, I find out they don't even have a clue about what split testing ads is.

If you aren't testing things in your niche, you aren't going to be in it very long. you might see some short term success, but you won't have longevity.

I see people all the time chasing SEO rankings, and when google changes and they lose rankings, they blame google and the SEO experts.they never take responsibility that they relied on a single source of traffic for their business!

And what do those people do? the usually either CONTINUE chasing SEO rankings, or they quit. they don't even think about other options, or look for alternative traffic sources!

I don't make tons of money with my online business, ( Mark probably makes more in a day than I make in a month) but I do live a much better life now that I have my own business, and I have the freedom to do things that I want to do. Right now, I am writing 6 ebooks (crazy I know....) for diferent niches. I attribute a lot of that to the fundamentals I learned here in Mark's training.

A lot of what you see is that some people are out to just make money. Sadly, these people are the loudest and the ones you see the most in the media.

However, there are a lot of us that the money is secondary. Every site I build, every product I promote, and every Ebook I write has 1 purpose: to help people in my niche markets solve a problem!

I only promote products I actually use myself, no matter what niche I am in, and I share my personal experience with the techiques in those programs.

I only have 5 training programs that I promote on my IM sites, and 2 of them are from AFfilorama, because I have made money with both of them, (plus now my own ebook that I just put out last week) The rest of what I promote is the tools and services that I use myself to run my business.

I promote wordpress plugins and themes that I use, SEO tracking software, curation tools, computer programs, recording software and hardware that I use for my podcasting and videos, and all the other tools as well as SEO services that I use, freelancers I hire etc... Just this week, I have been promoting the Graphic designer who did my new logo for my podcast. And, I don't get anything for that promotionl. I did it because I am a happy customer, and I am actually paying him to do 10 more logos for all of my sites.

Yes I charge money for my time, If YOU don't, you aren't running a business.... sometimes I get commissions for my recommendations, but I also give up commissions regularly to help my customers achieve the success that they deserve. My goal is to help people improve their lives, whether it is through my IM blog and podcast, my dating site, my self esteem site, and even my personal blog that is just a fun random bit of quirky stuff that I think about.

It is all done to help people who come to my sites solve a problem. However, I do have to value my own time and work and I deserve to be paid for it.

I work on my business, often 60-70 hours/week. However, a lot of that is doing things I LOVE to do and so it doesn't feel as much like work. I can do it anywhere in the world.

If you actually pay attention to most of those "Gurus" who are always on vacation, they are still updating their blogs, emailing customers, and checking in with their business while they are on vacation. This business makes it easy to run your business from anywhere in the world from a laptop computer. But, you still have to run it in order for it to keep going.

I wouldn't go get a job right now if I went out of business tomorrow. I would find some way to put something online and make some money.

There are scams out there and there are people who get taken by these scams and lose a lot of money. However, the majority of the programs out there are actually not scams. Sometimes they over-hype the results or how fast it can work, but if you are committed to making it work, it can.

If you are committed to finding a reason why it wont work, you will definitely find that too.

Your focus determines your reality!

Sorry for the long winded rant, but this business does work, when you do it properly, and when you have the right mindset, which most people in the business never get.

Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
There are so much to digest in this thread. I am just a newbie here but so far I like the way members share their thoughts and advice. I understand where your rants and frustrations are coming from. I have also several unsuccessful and not-so-well turnouts, and I have been in the same boat as you are.

I looked into your site and they are pretty good in terms of content, layout, and traffic. You may have not seen these, but you are actually doing a great job. On the "con" side, if you are not getting money yet, try not to lose yourself. Being negative is not the way to resolve your problem. Instead, think of how you can go about this. A lot of good suggestions are already here and most of the people who are here are already earning income from homebased business. That alone is a proof that this business works. There is always something you can do about this, no matter how awful the situation has already been.
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! http://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: http://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: http://www.affilorama.com/facebook

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
jmpruitt wrote:the difference between the "Victims" and the "Successes" in this business is the victims are looking for someone to blame for their failure, and the successes look at their failures as a learning experience and figure out where THEY made a mistake in implementing the strategy they were trying to follow.

You really need to understand THIS ONE THING right here! This one thing James said will help you more than anything! How do I know? I've used this same strategy before myself on a completely unrelated area.

For the last 10+ years, I've been employed as a server. My first couple of years, I struggled. I had a hard time managing two tables, much less trying to do 3 or 4 like some of the other stronger servers were.

One day, I decided that I would start looking at the tables that were only leaving me 10%. I was getting a lot of these, so they weren't hard to find. With each one, I evaluated everything that happened on that table. I identified anything that could have been better and helped me get a better tip.

Know what I found out?

At least 9 times out of 10, the things that could have been better were things I had direct control over.

Did you catch that? Let me say it again. ALMOST EVERY time I was getting a low tip, it's because of something I did (or didn't do). Funny thing is that pretty quickly, over a period of a couple of months, my average tips rose up to the average of 15% and the more I kept doing this, the more that average pushed towards 20% and the better I was able to handle 3 tables (or more when I needed to).

So how does this help you? If you're not getting the traffic you want, if you're not getting the conversions you want, if you're not getting the opportunities you want, take a look at what you are doing. Is there anything that you could be doing better? Is there anything you're not doing that you could start doing? Is there anything you're are doing that might be hurting you? Honestly evaluate your own efforts. Then make the changes you need to make.

Some are surprised when I say it took me almost 3 years to get a paycheck. They're surprised I stuck with it that long. The whole reason I did was because I was evaluating my own efforts and I knew I could be doing better. But I didn't apply that knowledge. By knowing I hadn't put forth the effort, I knew the problem was mine, not the system's, but I failed to take action on that knowledge.

So before you give up, do yourself a favor. Evaluate your own efforts. Then take action!

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Doing a search on Affiliorama on a search engine throws up 250,000 websites, mostly affilate sites, selling affiliorama products - it would look seem that selling 'how to make money on the internet' programs is the main affiliate income.

There is a lot of money to be earned from promoting Internet/Affiliate Marketing courses. There are plenty of "gurus" out there selling their own AM/IM courses, and plenty more affiliates promoting them. There's no surprise there. But it is not, and will not, be the main income of an affiliate. This is because it takes a lot of work to succeed in this particular niche. This is a case of the commission being conversely proportional with the affiliate's efforts.

I think it is unfair to imply that donald.ash.30 has not done enough or worked hard enough, or the website is not good enough, or has not followed the instructions well enough. Looks pretty good to me.

Donald's inquiry is " Does Affilorama Really Work"? Majority of the responses on this thread say "yes, it does work" then proceed to give Donald feedback and recommendation on what he can do to improve his site and his conversions. I apologize to you and to Donald if my responses and that of the other members imply that he has not done enough. That is not what we want to say. We aim to provide Donald with moral support as well as feedback. I agree that the site looks good, but it is not converting and that is what we're trying to address while answering his main inquiry.

To tell him at this point to just give up because the system does not work will result to a bigger loss and greater frustration on his part. I suppose it's a matter of perspective, but in my opinion, it is a greater waste to work at something and then leave it just because you are not able to make it work. If the mindset of the greater population is to just give up when faced with a challenge, then there won't be any inventions or discoveries.

I have looked at some of the Affiliorama videos, and the approach seems to be

(a) select a need (ideally desperate)

(b) write some copy to sell products that address that desperate need

(c) even create a product that ostensibly addresses a desperate need

(d) get testimonials for this product - paying for them is one method reccomended (NB this would mean that the testimonials were not really valid)

People will pay for these products because the whole shooting match is very convincing. But the collateral damage is that very large numbers of people waste great amounts of money.

Which Affilorama videos are you referring to? I have yet to see an Affilorama video where we show that the best way to select a niche is to base it on desperation. Which testimonials and which product are you referring to?

A number of aspiring affiliate marketers do not make it to the cut for a number of reasons and not just because the course/system they bought did not work. Most of the time, money is wasted due to lack of follow through and careful planning.

It appears to me as you have tried your hand at affiliate marketing and have been badly burned. Maybe you can post a link here to your website and we can help? Affilorama, more that anything else is about providing affiliate marketing support. We have plenty of resources here for aspiring affiliates and we would not hesitate to help anyone who comes forward to say they need it.

Have a good day!
Cecille

gedwards66
Trust:
Thanks gradyp, cecille L and jmpruit for your further responses.

I look at things differently - and I believe the BBC link I gave gives a more even handed picture of the market place than positive appraisals that you give.

That being said - credit to your dedication - and I hope the money you make is offering real value to the people who are spending on you. It might be the case.

There was one question in your feedback, which I will answer:

Which Affilorama videos are you referring to? I have yet to see an Affilorama video where we show that the best way to select a niche is to base it on desperation. Which testimonials and which product are you referring to?

Mark Ling held a discussion on a money making website that he created about bettafish that generated about 300 NZ dollars a month, and on that discussion Mark flagged the 'desperate need' approach and also explained how he paid for the testimonials on the website. Ask Mark and he should confirm that this is the case. The bettafish website might have been the site that lead Mark onto the internet training path. But I have heard the desperate need emphasised in more than one place - I thought it was accepted by IMs that that was where efforts should be focussed.
PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
You can absolutely make money with affiliate marketing but, you can't overcome a faulty product with the world greatest mindset.

While AffilioBlueprint is a good start to learn some basics it is just a blueprint....... go and search for "how to get your ex back review" in the top 10 of google. It looks like someone has spewed in the serps. IF I where a regular searcher I would probably think WTF is this all about and goto a much more Legit site Like amazon and download a relevant product directly to kindle for instance.

That is also one other issue with Clickbank there are some legit products but there are also a abundance of scammy products. so Pepole head over to amazon instead to download electronic publications directly to their kindles and Ipads. And morover they actually buy products from legit Authors that a lot of times has studied their subject for a life time... Not from a random Pen Name on CB.

CookieCutter Blueprints does not work. You need to find your own way to do things where you can give your audience a fresh perspective and be a special voice in your chosen niche. You do also need to have a great designed site that makes you look legit, not something that looks like it is from the late 90s Search Engines Crack down on this type designed sites that does not have a real design with a real logo, real contact details Like real businesses have.

So that is another problem! Who in their right mind would like to promote products like "how to remove butt acne" and create a site where they can add their own name to make the site look legit to the searchengines. If you get great traffic to your site and get a manual inspectation from google this type of site will get nuked in seconds by their manual reviewers. And almost anything really promoted from CB looks scammy.....

One other problem with these type of products is that the creators is never in the trenches and create these sites themself because they make way more money on churning out products selling them to you... And while it is good economically for them it might be bad for you.

This sums up the whole Make Money Online industry and most off affiliate product creators
>> [Link no longer available]

So I would recommend not to buy into their products. Instead go and find some blogger that actually makes real money some of them will even be transparent and show what they earn on their website.

Nobody that is away from the affiliate game for even a short period of time will be able to follow and keep updated on what happens in this fast moving industry, other than those who promotes affiliate sites every single day. And unfortunately that is not those vendors/experts/gurus who create products for others on how to promote affiliate sites.

There are a reason why most of the high profile members in this forum has turned into creating their own products... because they failed to make enough of money on promoting CB products... But you will hear the explanations like "I like so much to create my own product"....

Still you can earn a lot of money with affiliate marketing but I encourage you too look further than your next "expert".

I have some cb sites and i earn a little from them but I mostly make my money from promoting real products created by real brands. Amazon CJ shareasale are great affiliate networks for those and so on. There are a lot of great affiliate networks out there, and it will make your life a lot easier to promote a product that is actually a real brand that search engine users already are familiar with and trust, after that half the battle is already won.
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
hey Sir Matts,

Part of having the right mindset is picking out only high quality products to promote. Mindset is the most critical thing, and most of what you said is really focused on the mindset people need to have. Focus on finding someone legit. However, unless you are some kind of prodigy and can piece together thousands of bits of information, you aren't going to learn how to profit online just from reading free blogs.

I follow lots of blogs myself, and they always leave out small bits that are included in the products they sell. All those bloggers are doing the same thing I do. They help with simple tactics, but for the strategy that puts all those tactics together, you have to buy a product.

It also means focusing on your customers and what they need, and helping them to get that need met. Focus on things you CAN control like your webpages and how many links you have, and where those links are coming from. Then, things outside of your control like how many people buy products will get better results.

For example, I had a consulting client that I worked with a couple of months ago who had been working for over2 years and hadn't made a single sale. He was on the verge of giving up.

we went over his site and analyzed it. He had several pages low on page 1 rankings, but the bounce rate was at 85% and very few clicks on his affilate links.

WE took 1 page on his site, and just by breaking up the text, adding some bold and italics, including some subheadings, and changing the call to action on his affiliate link, he saw a massive change. the whole change took 5 minutes to do. I was chatting with him on skype a few days ago, and now he is ranked #1 for his keyword, his bounce rate is at 40% and he has made 10 sales on that page since we did that 2 months ago.

Now he is going through his entire site and making changes to all of his pages, focusing on looking at every page like a customer would.

Simple changes can often have a huge impact in how your site is performing. But, most people that I see have the mindset of "Try it once, it didn't work, so call it a scam and go on" rather than looking at "what did I do wrong, and how can I fix it to do better?"

Also, most people who BUY make money online products don't value the information they paid for enough to use it to their full advantage. For example, a while back I had a client call me up who had spent thousands of dollars on training and never seen a sale. The first thing I told him was not to spend ANY money on another training product until he made his money back on what he had spent in total following what I was teaching him.

Since then, he has bought 3 more products that I have promoted to my list (he bought them through me) Now, most affiliates don't care, they just want to make money. However, I was actually upset. I wasted hours of my time to help him and he isn't applying what I told him to his business.

Sadly this is more often the case with people in this industry than the people who will go through training or hire a consultant and actually apply everything they learned.

In A lot of Mark's training and keyword research, he does talka bout finding the people in Crisis. the reason why is because these are your ideal customers. they are the most eager buyers. If you are running a business, you have to find the best target customers for the products you are trying to sell, whether they are your own, or someone elses.

These crisis desperate people are the most willing to buy quickly!

Yes, this does give you a great responsibility to provide quality information and promote products that help people solve that crisis. When I write an article targeting these people, I ask myself

However, if you ignore your biggest source of customers as unethical because some people do it in an unethical way, you are going to struggle to stay in business for long!

You cannot control how other people run their business. If you don't like how they do it, strive to do it better yourself. Focus on things you can control like how YOU treat your customers, and what YOU do to provide value to them. Dont worry about how other people run their business.

In the long run, you will have the trust and authority within your niche needed to survive, while those others will struggle to run consistent income with their business as they lose trust and respect from the niche community.

If you do, you will eventually be successful.

Although for the most part I do agree with you, I wouldn't say all CB products are bad. That is the same as saying all affiliate marketing is bad. I have a variety of products that I promote and not all of them are from CB.

I recently created my own product, not because I don't make money as an affiliate, but because I had a method I was using that I couldn't find a guide teaching.
So, I made my own.

I don't have testimonials on my sales page yet, but I have several people reviewing the book for me in the hopes a few will give me some. I would never pay for them.

I have talked to several people who are product owners as I was developing my own and working on setting it all up. One thing I found is that most of them don't create their products to make them money on the front end. in fact, by the time they pay for Affiliate commissions and their own promotions, they actually LOSE money by selling their product.

But, through that process, they are building trust and authority within the niche, and they are building a list of proven buyers. This is something that is critical to understand in your business.

Proven buyers are more likely to buy again than people who have never spent any money at all. I was also told people who spend a certain amount can be expected to pay up to 5 times more for another product later on.

This means, if you are selling a $30 product, you can expect to upsell up to a $150 product later on with good conversions. If you are selling a $100 product, you can expect to sell up to a $500 product to that same list.

So, building a list of proven buyers or even multiple lists dependent on how much they spent for the product is really important in this business.

gedwards66
Trust:
Hi James,

From the below...

Also, most people who BUY make money online products don't value the information they paid for enough to use it to their full advantage. For example, a while back I had a client call me up who had spent thousands of dollars on training and never seen a sale. The first thing I told him was not to spend ANY money on another training product until he made his money back on what he had spent in total following what I was teaching him.

Since then, he has bought 3 more products that I have promoted to my list (he bought them through me) Now, most affiliates don't care, they just want to make money. However, I was actually upset. I wasted hours of my time to help him and he isn't applying what I told him to his business.

Sadly this is more often the case with people in this industry than the people who will go through training or hire a consultant and actually apply everything they learned.

and the below...

These crisis desperate people are the most willing to buy quickly!

I understand that you see that people who buy your products are desperate. Often it is the desperate or vulnerable who cannot effectively act on information, and effectively learn to do exactly what you are doing, and make money your way. You are upset because someone buys products from you and does not benefit? I would say that the majority of people who buy these products make no return at all - either because they arrived too late in the game, or just lacked the skill set to do it.

Have you done some consumer satisfaction, and found out what percentage of buyers of your product found that it helped them do what the sales letter said it would? Do you have any idea of the percentage of buyers who have made money from your products? I would say 5% max, or even 1%. Just because it is one multi level sales pyramid. To my mind the guru market is a way of redistributing money to gurus - and the great majority of the people buying the 'help you' products waste time and money to make no return - the promised easy methods are in fact really inaccessible to the ordinary person.

Sir Matts hit the nail on the head:

This sums up the whole Make Money Online industry and most off affiliate product creators
>> [Link no longer available]
PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
SirMatts wrote:
>> http://openwork.org/how-to-get-rich-quick/

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that this comic is for sale for $19 ($1 less than a "magic rock")?
Clayton

PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
@gedwards66,

I'm a little confused by your message. Are you

1.) Saying that marketers should not be selling people solutions to their problems because they will likely not act on them to get the desired result?

Should gyms and fitness centers close their doors because the majority of their members don't take full advantage of their membership by going often enough to lose weight or get ripped? Are their members just duped into joining out of desperation based on poor body image, and in that moment, they believed that they would exercise several times per week?

Should grocery stores in the US stop selling food since Americans waste an average of 34 million tons of food each year ([Link no longer available])?

Should publishing companies stop publishing authors because the majority of all books published sell poorly (I've heard figures ranging from 95% sell less than 5,000 to 80% sell less than 100). Are authors being conned into trying to make a living off of publishing their work?

Should stores like Amazon shut down because I keep ordering books from them that I never finish or never get around to reading? Have I been scammed for buying a product that I didn't use?

Or...

2.) Are you saying that marketers should not be selling people solutions to their problems because their solutions don't work?

In which case, what products have you purchased and used that did not work?

Have you tried AffiloBlueprint or AffiloJetpack? If not, then how do you know that it doesn't work? If you have, then which part did not work?

Which "help you" products have you purchased that consisted of "inaccesible" methods?

Just trying to understand your position here...
Clayton

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Spot on Clayton.

I know there is a lot of bad info out there, and Mark isn't perfect (none of us ARE perfect...) but his training is some of the best available, and Mark makes most of his money as an affiliate outside the IM niche, although he does make a lot here too. He is involved in making sure all of his students sites do well although he can't do the work for you, and he requires all of his sites provide the value that his visitors need to solve their problems.

When it comes to my own products, I try to help people develop the skillsets needed to do the things I am talking about. Is it perfect? NO, but I am trying to do it better and better. Also, you can't expect a product that sells for $17 to go as deep into the details as a product that sells for $100 on the same topic. This is one area that I am talking about of people not valuing the products they buy.

I try to help every customer that comes to my sites wether they spend $10 or $1,000 but I also realize that I can't make them do what they need to in order to succeed. I have to ballance helping people with valuing my time and focussing my efforts on people who want my help. One thing I make clear to my customers is that I am available for support. How many of those people actually ever email me with their questions? less than 2% of them ever email me with a question!

IF they don't ask, I can't help them! Although I try to figure out problem areas people might run into, and I have given out more free review copies than I have sold ( my ebook has only been live for 2 weeks with no launch behind it) trying to get feedback so that I can use the backend emails to help people more.

I have a 2 month auto-responder set up that is full of emails to help them get more out of my ebook, and there isn't a single promotion in that email series for another product. its all pure help and value to help with the problem areas that have been addressed from people who have reviewed the book. I am working on including all those emails in the 2nd edition of the book.

So far, only about 5% of the people who have bought my book are even opening the emails I send them. I am working on tweaking my headlines and trying to improve the open rate, again I am still in testing phase of this, since it is my first product, and I have learned a lot in my journey, but my goal is to help people succeed. I can't really make them do that.

As a business owner, you have to balance helping people with managing your business. I am in business to make a profit. Yes, I do help people as much as I can, but I also know the results of focusing too much on helping people and not focusing on my bottom line. My bill collectors still have to be paid, whether I get paid or not. I can't help everyone just because they want it.

I spent a lot of time early on in my online business doing just that. I was broke, and I had to live with my mom because I couldn't pay my own bills. You aren't going to run a business by complaining about everything being a scam. if that is how you feel about this business, then go get a job and be happy in that job. Otherwise, you have to learn to be a business owner, and find the balance between compassion for your customers and running a profitable business. Some days its like walking a tight rope and one missed step can send you plunging to the death, but its a challenge that I love to face every day.

I am passionate about helping other business owners succeed. if I wasn't I wouldn't be in the IM niche, which is really a pain in the backside to work in and the ROI isn't really worth all the headaches.

I am not saying there aren't scams or bad products out there. but people also need to take responsibility for THEIR actions and their lack of taking actions on what they are given.

I am also one of the first to tell you that this business isn't for everyone. Some people can't develop the skills or mindset needed to run a business. if you think like an employee, then be one, and enjoy it. I suck as an employee. I got fired from too many jobs because I didn't have the right mentality for it. I always hate being restricted in how to run my business or manage my employees.

I am not a guru and I never claim to be one. I don't like the Guru method much either. the reason I made a product is because 1 people asked for it repeatedly, and 2 I couldn't find one teaching what I wanted them to learn

at the end of the day, my whole point in this thread comes down to one thing: if you hate affiliate marketing so much, why are you in an affiliate marketing website? You won't find many people here who believe affiliate marketing is as much of a scam as you are claiming.

I don't want to be harsh either. I want you to understand that. You can do it, and you can make a good living at this if you want to, but you have to ask yourself if you want to really be successful. If you have been through the training here, and you aren't seeing results, you should ask for help rather than callling it all a scam. there are several of us who are here to help you make your business work, but complaining about it all being a scam won't help you at all.

There are several people here (not me, but others) who give of their time to help other members with no interest in the IM niche. I personally have a bit of a vested interest. I get a lot of customers to my IM stuff through this forum, but I know several active members, who are just as helpful as I am, that have no interest in the IM niche. They are just here to share what has worked in their business and help others succeed.

You won't find that kind of help on most Affiliate marketing forums. I know because I have been a member of a lot of them over the years.

I make most of my money as an affiliate in other niche markets. all of them are ones I am personally involved in, and I have built relationships with my customers and I try to help them as much as I can. sometimes the best way I can help them is to recommend them to a proven expert in the niche through an affiliate link. That doesn't mean I just throw any affilaite link I can find at them.

I actually personally review every product I recommend, and If I am not enough of an expert to know if it is a good product, I get help from my network of friends, both online and offline, who can help me decide if a product is worth sharing. and these recommendations from my friends have NO financial gain on their part, they do it because of the relationships we have.

There are a lot of ethical lines that get drawn in the sand, and you have to find them for yourself. Sometimes there are grey areas that you will have to fudge a little. its not being dishonest or lying, but you sometimes have to put compassion on hold and focus on what is right for your business and not always giving everything away. You have to value your time as a business owner.

Those gurus didn't get where they are by sitting around blaming other people for their failures. they got out there and networked with the right people, and those people helped them build their business. They analyzed everything that didn't work, and figured out where it went wrong.

Over the years, I have built over 100 websites, and I have actually made money from less than 20 of them. I don't focus on those failures. Most of them didn't work because of MY mistakes in the niche, not because some guru told me something that didn't work.

Last year, I sold off most of my sites and focused on just a core few that are niches I am passionate about. Now, I make more money, I have more free time, and I enjoy the work I do a lot more. I am running a profitable business, but the money is secondary.

If you want to run a hobby site and help people solve problems in their life for free, you can. I have a lot of online friends who do that. You will waste a lot of time trying to help people who don't value YOU or who don't value what you have to share.

If you want to run a business though, you have to set aside your compassion slightly (not completely) and value YOUR OWN TIME.

Research has shown that people who read free information and pay for the exact same information are 10 times more likely to value the information after paying for it, and apply it to their life, whether you are talking about marketing and business, or saving a marriage.

This was one lesson I had to learn the hard way. I lost a lot of potential sales by not valuing my time, and not putting my efforts on the right things. This is really common, and I see people who quit every day, not because they didn't work hard, but because they worked hard on the wrong things, and never honestly looked at where they were wasting efforts.

I fully examine myself all the time, and I completely accept that the reason my business isn't more successful than it is right now is because of MY lack of focus, MY not working on the right things, and MY own failure to take advantage of the opportunities that I had in front of me. I had a HUGE opportunity a few months ago that I made excuses for ignoring, and it could have easily trippled my business within a few days if I had not squandered it. I am the only one to blame for that.

as a final thought, here is a video that really shares the core about how I run all my websites, and what many of the biggest experts online do to build their online marketing business....

Many of the online business owners I see struggling fail to accept that kind of responsibility for their business

PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
Goodness, James, I think this is the longest response to a thread I've ever read...

(And this thread has definitely stirred things up here!--It inspired me to write up a blog post on my blog too.)

But at the end of the day, I believe that most people have either made up their mind one way or the other on whether IM is a scam or not.

If someone is set in their ways, then there's little point trying to sway them one way or the other (I'm reminded of the heated discussions about politics that sometimes happen in my family over Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner).
Clayton

easyrider
Trust:
"Research has shown that people who read free information and pay for the exact same information are 10 times more likely to value the information after paying for it, and apply it to their life, whether you are talking about marketing and business, or saving a marriage."

Exactly!

One of the things that gurus have got right is to put a big price on their products and this then causes people to think that these products have got a lot of value (being Mr Nice Guy doesn't seem to work too well). Often the key theories of economics are proven wrong eg. upward instead of downward-sloping demand curves (the higher the price, the higher the quantity demanded) - or at least large flat regions of demand.

At the moment I'm coming to the conclusion of an experiment on Amazon with my 146 page dating book for women. I started out charging $8.97 for it (as that guy Ty Cohen said was the best price point according to his testing). Then I reduced my price to $2.99 to try to get my sales up and therefore get a better place in the Amazon rankings (before increasing it and hoping that its high listing will then be self-supporting).

The funny thing is that it has had very little impact on my sales. And today I have found that some person refunded my book at $2.99 - what an insult!!!

Therefore considering the demand is inelastic, my revenue-maximising price point is going to be to charge the highest price possible $9.99 (or $9.97 lol).
Greg

burkhardt5
Trust:
WOW! I go away to play golf for a few days and this thread exploded.

James and Clayton could make an ebook just with their input.

Anyway, I will keep this short.

Easyrider, I was a retail marketing specialist for several years and I think the reason you got that refund was because the person noticed that you had dropped your price and purchased your product with little desire to keep it. They saw it as being on sale so they checked out the deal. If you researched the original price and found it to be a good price range, stick to it and only drop it a little as a temporary sale promotion.

Glad to be back.
Never Give Up!!!
Paul
Paul J. Burkhardt

PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
Oki I see there are some new posts here great :)

Affiliate marketing does work very well dont get me wrong, but as I said CookieCutter Blueprints does not work. As soon as there is a huge influx of almost identical designed sites promoting somewhat similiar products and those sites are setup the same way the overall conversion rate will go down to hardly exist. But when beginners buy into CookieCutter blueprints they never get informed that is the case, and that the responsibility of the product owners should do. Beginners will think it is just to churn out websites with same approach as the "expert/guru/product owner says but that alone will be a huge fail.

But What Makes me almost puke about these experts/gurus/product owners/vendors is all the junk products they are pushing to the beginners that do trust them at first glance when they don't know better. Only after you have been in this game for a certain period of time you have activated your "bullshit" radar and know what to not buy into.

For Instance here AMA has been always promoted and that is because someone knows someone else that are doing JVs all the time so they have to cross promote each other. Imagine how many newbies that have bought into the junk Networks like AMA here, it makes me almost puke.

Why can't beginners be promoted some genuine product that actually work and not JV junk products? So they can start of in the best possible way? No wonder they come back saying this and that does not work when they follow the advice of the expert/guru/productowner/vendor that is promoting them a faulty product like ama or seolinkmonsters.

It is like these experts/gurus/productowners/vendors does to the best of their ability to flece beginners while they are still active, and unfortuantely this activiy is going on here as well.

I know that SeoLinkMonsters got promoted over here at Affilorama. Anyone who has been in the domain buying game and buying their own aged domains knew that it would be a huge fail from the beginning. The huge amount of (OBL:s) out bound links that would suddenly appear because of all the experts/gurus that was involved in the huge JV Launch would stickout like a sore tumb. What was even more funny is that the network had huge indexation problems before it hardly was started. And this was way before the overall deindexation of these networks.

Other top networks at this sametime had a indexation rate of 99%! When Seolinkmonsters was completely viped out. Morover this network was built like it was created by some beginners with way too many blogs hosted on same ips.

http://dbpmarketing.com/seo-link-monster-update/

So many newbies bought into this network, but those who has been in the game knew to not buy into. These two networks are just a example. But this same shit happens time and time again and then blog posts like these are put when the deindexation of all networks finally happend over nite. Mind you that was at least a month after Seolinkmonsters got viped out.

http://www.affilorama.com/blog/the-goog ... -deindexed

Seriously? Experts/Gurus/productowners/vendors needs to clean up their act this is almost fraudalent activity! Who can in their right mind trust a Expert/Guru/productowner/vendor like this?

Only those very tight JV partners that does all they can to fleece noobs id imagine... That could not care less and only see money... But time is catching up on these type of activities and there are alot stricters laws comming both from US and Eurpoe on this stuff.

How can a newbie navigate thru all this crap? It is a very legit question to ask if "Affilorama" works or not. Because is their mind, all the crap they are promoted that does not work must look like a huge scam.
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I know I have been against AMA for a long time, and I understand where you are coming from. Howeve,r I know for a fact that Mark promoted them because he was actually using them quite heavily himself.

My own problem with it was more that it did nothing for my focus: direct traffic to my sites. its entire purpose was to inflate seo rankings, and IF you used them that way, and did a TON of submissions to them, along with other link building methods, they were effective in doing that for years.

Now, that isn't the case any longer, and I know Mark is working to compensate for some of these type of complaints in the new AB course that is coming out.

the thing is, I have several AB sites and AJP sites that are using Marks theme, look just like the others and I am still making money from them very well. This is why I say its not the system that is the problem. Early on, Mark told me something through one of his webinars "there is no such thing as a niche that is too competitive, just sites that don't do enough to compete in a busy market" the more time I spend online, the more I see it every day.

I see people who follow these blueprint style sites but don't follow through and analyze things properly, yet blame the system for their lack of success.

I do believe they often over hype how fast they can work. If I had a full time staff of SEO experts, top notch article writers, and social media fanatics who all knew their job, I could build a new site every week and rake in a fortune too. However, doing most of the work myself, and only outsourcing what I can, it takes longer to get it all done. I am constantly still writing new articles, recording and editing new videos, engaging people on social media, etc...

It all comes down to what you want to achieve. For every big guru that I hear people calling a scam artist, I know other people that are following their tactics and working.

Affilorama has never really made any secret that they are teaching fundamentals. Without the core fundamentals I learned here, I wouldn't have been successful with any of the other things I have done. None of the other programs I went through taught those fundamentals as well as Mark does in his Blueprint course.

there are a lot of strategies that you can learn and use, which all work. However, it depends on how you use them and what works with your own personality.

gedwards66
Trust:
@cterao

Nothing here has convinced me that these IM products work - and no - I have not wasted my money buying them. Generally speaking the disclaimers on the websites are enough to ring loud warning bells. But again - false testimonials, recomending clickbank that sells everything from systems to enlarge the male organ through to perpetual motion machines through to a bazillion weight loss schemes, or clever how to get a girl friend ebooks as well as the 'get rich work at home schemes'- shout out 'scam warning' to my mind like nobodies business.

IM is to a great part a glorified multi level marketing scheme - where a few very competent marketers and salesmen make some money (or good money) - leaving the great majority underwater, wasting time and money. It is simple mathematics - money is passed from many people into the hands of a few and nothing of great value, for the great part, is produced.

There will of course be a good number of affiliate and internet marketers who make an honest buck - but I believe these are in the small minority, and they don't spend their time selling their methods to other people, because their methods work, and will only work, for as long as they, or just a few of them, are running them.

Hope this helps answer your questions. I am sorry if my earlier answers were not clear enough.
PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
@gedward66, I agree that there are many scams out there that offer something too good to be true, but I would like to think of Affilorama as the oasis in the desert of scams and hype.

I've been following Mark Ling and Affilorama for nearly 3 years, and in that time I've learned so much from him and this community.

I know that it's possible to be cheated out of $7 or whatever by the latest Warrior Forum scams, and I'll admit that I've fallen victim to those more than I'd like to admit, but at the end of the day, I know that I can count on the community here at Affilorama to give me advice that is honest and effective. (And not to sell my email address to the latest scam-artist.)

Anyway, I don't know if you've given Mark Ling and Affilorama a fair shake, but I've followed the advice here and I've been able to turn a profit. If you've struggled to do the same, I want you to know that we're all here for you if you have any questions or concerns along the way.

I've met several people who have used what they learned here to supplement or replace their full-time jobs and Mark Ling is one of the few people who I would trust in this over-hyped marketplace. I understand your frustrations (I really do!) but I believe that they are misdirected when it comes to Affilorama.

Anyway, I wish you the best, and if you have any obstacles, we're all here for you!

-Clayton
Clayton

gedwards66
Trust:
@ctearo - Clayton - thank you - cool response. I still have the big reservations in respect of the whole shebang though - as mentioned before. However my main worry is that the people who post to the forums (this one included) are in the top 0.1%, and are the ones who are making money, and it is in their business to shout about how great it is, and keep going, and that you will succeed in the end. The other 99.9% don't really post their result or comments on fhe forums, try for really quite a long time, and then walk away quietly having wasted a lot of time and money, and sometimes in quite dire financial straits. If there was some way of Affiliorama showing that say 50% of their clients made money for themselves, and the other 50% lost time and money to Affiliorama - then that would be reassuring. Even 25%, or even one in ten. But I don't think Affiliorama would do the market research on this, as the results might well be one in a 100 or one in a 1000 actually makes a profit - and this would kill off Affiliorama's business, along with the business of the cream of internet marketers who are associated with Affiliorama. But I would be happy to be proved wrong. Thanks again for your fair response - I don't doubt your results - but I don't think it is right to infer to anyone that anything more than a very very small minority will ever make any return on affiliate or internet marketing. Simple mathematics. And then there are the ethics of the products sold on Clickbank mentioned above, the reccomended bought testimonies, the slightly suspect niches, etc. If there is information to prove me wrong - then good luck in your on going quest, and well done. But my view still seems to make too much sense to me.
bootit
Trust:
Here is my story....

I signed up for Affilojetpack about 2 years ago. My computer skills were quite advanced as I am a qualified web designer.

I started a site in the dog niche and went completely nuts with my level of work. I would say that I put in 20-25 hours a week (on top of 50hrs at my job) worth of doing all the things Mark talked about. I did this for about 3 months or so. Well above what he recommended and efficiently with my skills.

I'll be honest and say I didn't see any sales and had probably around 10 people in my list. I had worked my backside off and wasn't seeing the results and got fed up.

I left the sight for a good 18 months when I logged into my CB account and my Aweber account that I'd kept running. The site had made 10 book sales and had a list of o 200+.

One major problem. I'd only put my domain on a 1 year purchase and some clever person had purchased my domain as soon as it became available.

The last time I checked the domain it is now for sale for $1880.00US on GoDaddy.

Personally I do wish that I'd followed through with my dog niche site. No doubt I'd be turning a profit and would have gained encouragement with some better results.

I do think Mark has a responsibility to be realistic with people about time frames for making sales. This is especially true for the launch of a product as the market is getting flooded with similar sites with similar articles selling similar products.

I find the ongoing promotion of JV products as a boring and an insult to my intelligence. If anyting I think it confuses newbies because on one side you are being told Affilorama is all you need. But this is great also. If I spent all my time buying and learning how to use all these new products I'd never get the foundation work of my affiliate site complete.

Am I bitter towards affilorama and Mark Ling. Absolutely not. I still have all the articles and work I created for my dog niche site so I can rebuild the site changing all of the domain names to my new one.

More importantly I have gained a lot of knowledge on the fundamentals of Affiliate Marketing. I think Mark Ling is a legit guy and I don't know him from a bar of soap. He is pretty genuine I'd say.

He must be. He's a New Zealander.
dazzlecat
Trust:
I was looking for info on Affilojetpack to see if i should purchase it even though its 2 years old. And I came upon this REALLY long winded post. Its pretty cool to hear everyone's experiences with the product and with internet marketing in general.

My main interest in it is that it has a year's worth of autoresponder emails. That is some serious work that could be taken off my hands. otherwise i actually love building websites from scratch.

I don't know if its for me though, it sounds like you need to do backlinking on a daily basis for MONTHS - this is my downfall in internet marketing. I just don't have a plan of action that works for me. I sort of throw things at the wall and hope something sticks. Does Affilojetpack just give backlinking/traffic training or do they give you an actual blue print of what you should be doing every week? I really need something like that.

at Kurt Tully - I am so sorry to hear about your site. What a bummer!!!! I hope you don't give up on it, it should be pretty simple to just redirect. the backlinking and traffic building will be the biggest job to have to redo.

Great thread and forum. I need to spend more time here.
Are your arms, hands, or fingers hurting from all the internet marketing you're doing? Learn how to stop the pain before it become debilitating and ends your IM career. http://carpaltunneltreatmentnow.com

carlmasure
Trust:
I haven't been here for a while, but I couldn't resist this thread. Especially for Donald and any other newbies here....

Mark Ling is a straight up guy and offers an excellent program for people who want to learn about affiliate marketing and how to build a good quality website.

But, the game has changed significantly in the last year for one reason and one reason only. Google decided that it wanted to be an advertising company instead of a search engine company. For many bootstrapping affiliates, this was a death sentence. Why? Google has around 80% of search market share, and...

Have you checked G's search results lately? Crap, pure crap. Wikipedia and About (an utterly useless website) clutter the top of the organic results. And, If I wanted to see Wikipedia results in search, I'd just search Wikipedia. Yet, the very top page results are Google Ads. Usually 3 of them. That's almost the entire fold my friends.

Sole proprietor affiliate marketers with great sites and good back links saw their websites tank after Panda and Penguin. The deck is stacked. It doesn't matter if your content is really good or if you have worked hundreds if not thousands of hours trying to do whitehat SEO. You cannot dominate a niche unless you have tools. I'm not talking about rank checking tools or B.S. blog networks that Google nuked months ago or blog commenting, etc. I'm talking about automation on a grand scale.

And, it's not exactly white hat. And why should it be? Do you think Matt Cutts is telling the truth every time he opens his pie hole? Quality results my axx.

G hates you because you occupy market share that they believe is rightfully theirs. Their algorithm became their own worst enemy, so it had to be changed to eliminate you.

If you have the cash, you'd be wise to invest in Xrumer, Scrapebox, or other such tools, or at least pay someone to do the work for you. On your own, you will never make more than a couple bucks every month with Google at the helm.

Rant off.
lloydc1c1
Trust:
I really enjoyed reading all the comments, Donald keep on keeping on
thomasedmund661
Trust:
I can see that quite alot of people can make money by selling Affiliorama products as an affiliate, but I am trying to find out some examples of websites which make money using the Affiliorama approach. I can see that Donald is struggling, but it would be really great to see some examples of websites (apart from those of the super gurus) that ordinary people have made, and that make them money (i.e. after any money they have had to spend).

Be really grateful for some site urls/examples: including income per month, and costs per month, and setup costs.

Looking through this site, I have found the odd website link, but not one that I could see how it could be making money.

Can anyone help? Many thanks.
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi thomasedmund661,

I am unable to provide you with links to specific sites as most are in the Affiloblueprint or Affilojetpack members only forums. You can try asking members directly be sending them a message. You can click on a member's username and on the member's profile click on the Send Message link on the top right.

Hpoe that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

thejapanguy
Trust:
Where do I start...

I am just getting the chance to read this thread, because for months, I honestly just gave up.
After reading this thread, though, I am...in a word...humbled. I knew this forum was good, but I truly can't believe how candid everyone was with their responses. Even the disagreements were supportive. I hope everyone can see how special this forum truly is.

After sitting around moping for months, moping about not making any money. I just realized that this IS something I TRULY want to succeed at, and being down on myself won't get me there! My mother didn't raise any quitters and I'm not about to give up on my dreams. I want to create something that people can find useful, something that reaches people and helps them at the same time. I want an internet business but one that people would be crazy in love with even if all the Google servers just blew up tomorrow.

I heard so many great posts in this thread. I TOTALLY agree that just following a cookie-cutter approach isn't the best way to go. After being here in Affilorama's forum and seeing how many people reached out to help me, a person they don't even know, is really what brought me back here. With so many gimmicks out there, it's just nice to be here where I can, if nothing else, get an honest take on internet marketing.

In the end I realized I I got too caught up in seeing zeroes in my Clickbank account, and it completely threw me off. When I focus too much on the money, then I start to forget how interesting and how much fun business can be. Discovering how to improve a difficult aspect your internet business is like getting the answer to that math problem you just couldn't find the answer to. It's like solving a puzzle that, at first you couldn't do anything with. It's like being Indiana Jones finding the Holy Grail.

Today is Thanksgiving and honestly, I'm thankful for you guys. You've being so supportive. I don't know if I'll ever reach multi-millionaire status, but you have really inspired me. I'm not ever giving up. I KNOW I can do this now.

Happy Thanksgiving, Everybody!!

Donald Ash
"If you use every drop of potential inside of you, no less, you will accomplish the impossible and your dreams will become tangible."
-Donald Brandon Ash

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
thomasedmund661 wrote:I can see that quite alot of people can make money by selling Affiliorama products as an affiliate, but I am trying to find out some examples of websites which make money using the Affiliorama approach. I can see that Donald is struggling, but it would be really great to see some examples of websites (apart from those of the super gurus) that ordinary people have made, and that make them money (i.e. after any money they have had to spend).

Be really grateful for some site urls/examples: including income per month, and costs per month, and setup costs.

Looking through this site, I have found the odd website link, but not one that I could see how it could be making money.

Can anyone help? Many thanks.

Hi Thomas,

there are those of us who are making money using this method. However, those of us who are serious about it rely on those sites for our income. When you share a site publicly, like you are asking us to do, we KNOW we will be ripped off and are making it harder for ourselves.

Mark and many other of the big name gurus have no problem with this. they have enough sites that if the few they share publicly (and Mark only shares a small portion of his sites publicly) lost all their income, it wouldn't matter much to them.

I only have a few of my sites that I publicly talk about, and none of them are actually strictly following Mark's teachings.

One thing to also keep in mind is that what mark is teaching is FUNDAMENTALS for newbies, and many of us have taken what we learned here, profited from it, and reinvested our earnings into more advanced marketing methods. For example, Most of my sites still follow the AB format initially, but now I run my own consulting services, membership sites, and other monetization methods, on top of my affiliate sales. We don't strictly follow marks method after the first few months with a site ( at least most of the ones I see regularly don't) because we are targeting different monetization methods,

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
thejapanguy wrote:Where do I start...

I am just getting the chance to read this thread, because for months, I honestly just gave up.
After reading this thread, though, I am...in a word...humbled. I knew this forum was good, but I truly can't believe how candid everyone was with their responses. Even the disagreements were supportive. I hope everyone can see how special this forum truly is.

After sitting around moping for months, moping about not making any money. I just realized that this IS something I TRULY want to succeed at, and being down on myself won't get me there! My mother didn't raise any quitters and I'm not about to give up on my dreams. I want to create something that people can find useful, something that reaches people and helps them at the same time. I want an internet business but one that people would be crazy in love with even if all the Google servers just blew up tomorrow.

I heard so many great posts in this thread. I TOTALLY agree that just following a cookie-cutter approach isn't the best way to go. After being here in Affilorama's forum and seeing how many people reached out to help me, a person they don't even know, is really what brought me back here. With so many gimmicks out there, it's just nice to be here where I can, if nothing else, get an honest take on internet marketing.

In the end I realized I I got too caught up in seeing zeroes in my Clickbank account, and it completely threw me off. When I focus too much on the money, then I start to forget how interesting and how much fun business can be. Discovering how to improve a difficult aspect your internet business is like getting the answer to that math problem you just couldn't find the answer to. It's like solving a puzzle that, at first you couldn't do anything with. It's like being Indiana Jones finding the Holy Grail.

Today is Thanksgiving and honestly, I'm thankful for you guys. You've being so supportive. I don't know if I'll ever reach multi-millionaire status, but you have really inspired me. I'm not ever giving up. I KNOW I can do this now.

Happy Thanksgiving, Everybody!!

Donald Ash

Hey Donald, glad to see you jumping back in the game. I have been there, and know first hand how discouraging it can be. However, if you keep at it, and focus on things other than the money, you will get there. this is part of why I generally recommend choosing a niche with passion. if you truly are passionate about it, and love what you are doing, you will keep doing it, even if it doesn't make any money.

However, I DO recommend focusing on ONE site and sticking with it! focus on TRAFFIC, not sales first, at least until you are consistently getting 100 visitors per day (which really isn't all that much!)

by the time you get there you should be making at least SOME sales, and if not, then its time to look at the conversions.

I did a guest blog post a while back where I shared a formula (that I actually learned from Mark) that will help you evaluate your website and see where you should be working, and what you need to do to get there. Make sure you are evaluating your progress, and tweaking the right things at the right time. Using analytics tools like Google analytics, Traffic Travis (and the awesome NEW affilorama premium tools that are on the way...) will help you evaluate your progress, and see where you need to make adjustments. However, it all starts with having clear goals, not only for your overall business, but for every page on your websites.

thejapanguy
Trust:
Awesome article, James; very clear & very straightforward.
I can see that conversions are where I'm coming up short on my larger site. The smaller sites are a combination of low traffic and conversion problems. I've also found quite a few issues with SEO, etc.. It's really eye-opening. I know this may take work, but now that I know the issues, it's time to do something about them!

Thanks for always having something useful to share!

Donald Ash
"If you use every drop of potential inside of you, no less, you will accomplish the impossible and your dreams will become tangible."
-Donald Brandon Ash

easyrider
Trust:
Donald, I can assure you that the stuff works if you work it. But a couple of huge pieces of advice I have to give you are to focus on one site first until it is successful, and don't rely on SEO. These days it is very hard to make any money by throwing up a bunch of quick sites using outsouced articles and then ranking them with low quality links (eg. from article directories, forums, blog comments). Also, it helps to boost your credibility if you are a product owner rather than just an affiliate.
Greg

thejapanguy
Trust:
Greg,

I truly appreciate it, brother! I know you're right. I think the days of quick money with little sites are fading. Although I'm sure a small site can still make money, I would imagine that any profitable website (regardless of size) has to provide true value to visitors in order to earn profits. I am currently a product owner, but I have fallen short on the marketing side of the things. I think I've gotten the kick in the pants that I need though. So I hope to be singing a different tune one day in the near future.

I hear you. It's time to for me to "WORK IT!!"

Donald
-Donald Brandon Ash

PremiumMember
live4therisk
Trust:
I started reading this thread and I am filled with inspiration. I started about 3 months ago and finally have a site built. I hope that I can get this thing going and generating income. Its a tough learning curve but I think its important to set a schedule and keep it. Never Give Up. Follow your Dreams!!! Thanks everyone
surveyguy11
Trust:
It also took me around three months to see some results a few years ago on my first site. It was not much at first, but it showed me that this thing works. And it was for EASY (in Traffic Travis) buyer intent keywords.

But my site was around a topic that I was not too comfortable with and I didn't believe in the product too much either -- even if that product is now very popular on ClickBank and the key word I used has passed from EASY to NOT SO EASY.

Today I focus on something I'm comfortable with that also has good products related to it trying to find key words that are easier to rank also.

I also want to build a list and have GOOD newsletter content to build a relationship with my future subscribers... I just don't want to be a salesperson... I want to bring something more in their life... I want to give them what they are looking for and make it easy for them....

Here's a good post I like in here, it's from Mark Ling http://www.affilorama.com/blog/what-if-i-had-to-start-again

Hope it help and encourage you,

Guy

This topic was started on Mar 29, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.