You will find the latest news and what is happening at Affilorama here. Any new announcements will be posted here before anywhere else.

Do-not-track feature soon to come in browsers?

faradina
Trust:

Do-not-track feature soon to come in browsers?

Hi All,

I just came across this news today and I am concerned abut the impact that it will have on affiliate marketers like us who rely on tracking features to record our referrals.

You can read about it here.

I just hope that the merchants and affiliate networks are already busy coming up with a solution.
stefan1601
Trust:
So is this means a lot of data won't be accurate anymore (like they're accurate now..), including data from google kwtool and analytics?
faradina
Trust:
To tell you the truth I had not even started thinking of keyword search counts and website statistics yet. I had been focusing on affiliate referral tracking.
jjperkins
Trust:
Hmm, and I hadn't thought about affiliate tracking!

My initial thought was that it wouldn't be a big issue as so few people are likely to use the facility.
But if it affects affiliate tracking then even a small percentage could be a problem, especially in niches such as IM where more people are likely to savvy to the use of it.

PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
In this specific Matter I can actually accept both options. However you should maybe not argue against the arm that feeds you :)

With my affiliate Hat on its gonna be tough to not be able to track.

If I would not be involved with any online marketing just a standard user, I would not see why someone else would have the "rights" to track my browser activities. In this case I think it all boils down to on what side you are operating.
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

PremiumMember
captain
Trust:
The main thing to track is sale conversion, and that you will allways have access too. So get good at driving traffic and converting that traffic with a good valye product, and you should be all fine
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
I am using Firefox 4 and the do not track option is included as part of their advanced security feature. It does not come enabled when you download the browser though, so unless the average user goes through documentation before using the browser, they will not know to turn the feature on. This is not to belittle the average internet user, but Mozilla seems to have made it a user preference and the default being the do not track feature is disabled. Unless the user turns this feature on, then their keyword searches and online behavior remains trackable.
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

fastnobull
Trust:
I didn't know that it wasn't on by default! I should really check out Firefox 4 soon actually. The only reason I haven't upgraded is because I'm really liking what I'm seeing with Chrome.
ineedq
Trust:
Thats a scary thought.

This topic was started on Jan 26, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.