Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

You sometimes wonder whos right and whos wrong

jacknife
Trust:

You sometimes wonder whos right and whos wrong

Now that I am in proccess of SEO my site I start gathering information about it. (Hey SEO was born just few years ago)
The world of SEO is very interesting but there are so many conflicting information, flood of programs dedicated to SEO, this guy tell you this and here comes the other who tells you to do it differentlly. And this is SEO: the way you choose, is the way where you put effort time and money in. The question is what if you choose a way that was wrong and you based your entire SEO on it? How do you know which programs are good? Objectivity is hard to come by. Who should you trust? Who is the one that can be the most objective? Or maybe there are different ways to do it? Or maybe everybody talk about SEO because no one knows the real answer. It becomes like questions about love' happiness, Everyone has his on experience with Love and happiness. So, is it? Does SEO is a personal journey that each take and what works for him/her that's what SEO for them? Is anyone out there has some sense of objectivity in regards what good SEO programs really worth putting time and efforts into?

But it is OK if there are many ways to do it !
Natural Health Remedies: www.productspreview.com

sonitin
Trust:
Hmm..

When choosing SEO keep following things in mind
1) Its easy to be a SEO consultant and hard to be the guy who gets it done. I recently saw a linkwheel plan distrubed for free from a reputed IM guy. Guess what? half of those sites were not even working. Its easy to draw boxes link them randomly and throw it to a desperate audience. So be careful whom you follow and make sure they actually have something to show.

2) When you are looking at proof from somebody then do check somethings like -
Age of their websites, if they had that website from 1999 and they are showing how well it did in search engines, then time to dump them immediately.

3) What are the current rankings and are they authority rankings or google bomb. E.g. if they are ranking for how to lose weight , but they are nowhere for how to lose weight fast then its clearly just some cleverly placed or bought links. They don't have the authority.

4) Check out their SEO blog if they have one - most good SEO's are too busy to have a blog on SEO. I have worked with a number of them and I haven't seen many of them having a blog. Its only guys who want to retire or for whom SEO isn't working that are posting daily on their blogs. Ideally I would expect only writers to blog daily. Now in case they do have a blog or twitter, then see the quality of their posts and other material.

5) SEO is all about staying updated and moving with latest trends. If you got quality links 5 years back but aren't getting anymore then Google can see thru that. Link age counts but search engines want to see that you are still being talked about and fresh. Similarly SEO information is so puzzled because people keep talking about old ideas and a newbie gets confused. E.g. when I started a lot of people were talking about RSS feed for SEO which was kinda confusing. Google has already adjusted to RSS feed but latecomers believed that this is a good way to fool search engines into thinking that you are displaying fresh content.

6) Finally I tend to agree that SEO is a personal journey and one should see what works. Also, there is more to life and web traffic then just getting backlinks. It should never be your only traffic strategy and in some sense it kills your creativity and business sense.

7) Regarding the courses - SEO book is a must read, SEOMoz also has good program. James Martell released some quality stuff 2 years back (see if you can find his link building workshop).

Finally all this is debatable so take this as my personal opinion and nothing much but I am sure it will help.
"offshoreally.com" - One click for all outsourcing requirements including bookmarking, submissions, dedicated staff, link building..

Looking for a qualified virtual assistant to help you with your work? Click here - "offshoreally.com/internet-marketing-outsourcing-seo/virtual-assistant-link-building"

Enter The" Bad Ass" SEO Guest Blogging Contest to WIN CASH PRIZES http://bit.ly/9knBFs

PM me for coupon codes!

jacknife
Trust:
Sonitin, great insightful thoughts to be considered.
Natural Health Remedies: www.productspreview.com

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
sonitin has some good tips. also remember, NOBODY knows what all google looks at. there are over 200 factors, and they wont reveal all of them. Also, who is right and who is wrong? usually the answer is niether is wrong. they just try to look like the other guy is wrong so that you buy their product.

There are many ways to get traffic and rankings for your site. I have tried and tested many of them myself (although not all). some worked better for me than others, but that doesn't necessarily mean the system didnt work,. it could be my interpretation of the system that didnt work.

the best way to find out is test things for yourself. I have used methods people told me wouldn't work, and got on page 1 with them. the thing to look at too is ask if you SHOULD do something, not necessarily if it will work. some SEO "Experts" are teaching shady tactics that can cause you trouble. some even claim they are legit.

always use your own discretion when deciding to try anything with your website. remember, it is your name and reputation within the niche on the line. everything you do can either build that reputation or destroy it.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

This topic was started on Aug 15, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.