15 Aug 10 4:23 am
When choosing SEO keep following things in mind
1) Its easy to be a SEO consultant and hard to be the guy who gets it done. I recently saw a linkwheel plan distrubed for free from a reputed IM guy. Guess what? half of those sites were not even working. Its easy to draw boxes link them randomly and throw it to a desperate audience. So be careful whom you follow and make sure they actually have something to show.
2) When you are looking at proof from somebody then do check somethings like -
Age of their websites, if they had that website from 1999 and they are showing how well it did in search engines, then time to dump them immediately.
3) What are the current rankings and are they authority rankings or google bomb. E.g. if they are ranking for how to lose weight , but they are nowhere for how to lose weight fast then its clearly just some cleverly placed or bought links. They don't have the authority.
4) Check out their SEO blog if they have one - most good SEO's are too busy to have a blog on SEO. I have worked with a number of them and I haven't seen many of them having a blog. Its only guys who want to retire or for whom SEO isn't working that are posting daily on their blogs. Ideally I would expect only writers to blog daily. Now in case they do have a blog or twitter, then see the quality of their posts and other material.
5) SEO is all about staying updated and moving with latest trends. If you got quality links 5 years back but aren't getting anymore then Google can see thru that. Link age counts but search engines want to see that you are still being talked about and fresh. Similarly SEO information is so puzzled because people keep talking about old ideas and a newbie gets confused. E.g. when I started a lot of people were talking about RSS feed for SEO which was kinda confusing. Google has already adjusted to RSS feed but latecomers believed that this is a good way to fool search engines into thinking that you are displaying fresh content.
6) Finally I tend to agree that SEO is a personal journey and one should see what works. Also, there is more to life and web traffic then just getting backlinks. It should never be your only traffic strategy and in some sense it kills your creativity and business sense.
7) Regarding the courses - SEO book is a must read, SEOMoz also has good program. James Martell released some quality stuff 2 years back (see if you can find his link building workshop).
Finally all this is debatable so take this as my personal opinion and nothing much but I am sure it will help.
"offshoreally.com" - One click for all outsourcing requirements including bookmarking, submissions, dedicated staff, link building..
Looking for a qualified virtual assistant to help you with your work? Click here - "offshoreally.com/internet-marketing-outsourcing-seo/virtual-assistant-link-building"
Enter The" Bad Ass" SEO Guest Blogging Contest to WIN CASH PRIZES http://bit.ly/9knBFs
PM me for coupon codes!