Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Will I lose my ranking if I make major changes to my site?

mandywa
Trust:

Will I lose my ranking if I make major changes to my site?

I'd like to pretty much re-build my current site.
It has the main site and 16 subdomains.

1. I know wordpress is supposed to be better for the search engines to pick up etc, and I would love to have an affiliate blog on each subdomain - is that ok to do? Or won't the search engines like this? I have some great ideas of what I want to do with each one, as they are currently going stale.

2. I have some pretty high ranking pages on the website and am worried that if I change to wordpress from the current site format (I use dreamweaver) how can I keep those high ranking page names etc?
For example: (this is a mock url for the sake of this post) http://www.mywebsite.com/directory/the- ... he-mat.htm
What will happen if I change to wordpress? Can they be re-directed? Or will that just cause havoc?

3. Also does it matter that I have the main site and subdomains on the same server?

Sorry for all the questions. I want to include as much detail as possible in my business / website plan so I know exactly where I'm headed.

Cheers M
wollowra
Trust:
I think this may be better answered by the staff or Mark himself.
I haven't actually gone from dreamweaver to wordpress.. so would be interested to find out myself.
Anyone care to chip in?
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

mandywa
Trust:
Cheers Troy...

I have lots of questions but don't want to bombard the forums with them all at once. :-)

Kind regards
M
jasondodd
Trust:
I dont have all the answers but I'll throw in my 2c.

1 - The search engines wont have a problem with you having different blogs on your different subdomains (although you might have some fun doing separate wordpress installs for each). of course you wont get much value in backlinks between the sites since they most likely share the same IP address. as to whether wordpress has better seo - that all depends on how you setup your site, its nothing to do with wordpress although WP has some good plugins to help you down that road

2 - just use a 301 permanent redirection and you wont lose any pagerank, check out this lesson on Affilorama to guide you through it.

3 - nope but as i mentioned above backlinks to your different sites may be of little value
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium

mandywa
Trust:
Hi Jason

Thanks heaps for your help!

In regards to linking etc, I was thinking of linking to each of the subdomains only from the index page of the main site / domain.

Then linking to each of the subdomains only on the index page of each subdomain - not only any other page.

Also ensuring I DON'T link to the main site / domain from any of the subdomains.

How does that sound? I'm trying not to confuse myself when I'm explaining it. :-)

I would treat each subdomain as a seperate site.

I'll check out the re-direct info, Jason.

Thanks again
Cheers
M

This topic was started on Jul 19, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.