Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Will An Upgrade to PHP 5.3.2 affect my WP sites?

covenantguy
Trust:

Will An Upgrade to PHP 5.3.2 affect my WP sites?

Hi

My wordpress sites are hosted by a friend . He has "spare space " on his server.

He says he has an " issue with upgrades to some sites I'm hosting that require PHP 5.3.2. Currently we are on a server running 5.2.17. This means that we will all have to migrate to another server running 5.3.2... I do need to do this by the end of this week.
Please take the time to research this so that you understand the risks involved. It might be a good idea if you put out a few questions out on the forums about PHP 5.3.2 compatibility with your ..wordpress versions your running"

So I'm putting the question out as I have no idea what PHP bla bla bla means!
http://johnreason.com/recommends.php?linkid=Affiloblueprint
Build a Successful Website in 12 Weeks.

PremiumMember
bizinhome
Trust:
Hi

We have sites hosted on Lunapages and were updated to PHP 5.3.2 a few days ago.

I have found that older versions of WP will not work correctly with this version. Also some plugins do not work, even when fully up to date. For us it was a few old no longer relevant plugins, plus Fast Secure Contact Form (recommended inside affilo theme), Cforms, bad behavior (a security plugin, there has since been an update to this one, still need to try it) and also WordPress Mobile Pack (I'm using WP Mobile Detector in it's place).

These plugins caused the site to just load a blank page, you couldn't even log in. To fix this you need to de-activate all plugins and then re activate them one by one into you find the ones that cause the problem. To deactivate the plugins without being able to log in follow this article: http://codex.wordpress.org/FAQ_Troubles ... e_menus.3F

However i still have a problem with this update, and that is that I can not get affilo theme to work correctly. The theme will not show any images (including header) and from with in the options you can not select the different theme colors, use the header generator (just says not found), changing font size etc doesn't seem to work and other things I'm probably forgetting.

So far i haven't found away around this. Just to note however this was the first time I'd installed the theme on LunarPages, so it is possible that these problems are non related to the PHP change and are to do with their set up in general.

Jayen
covenantguy
Trust:
Thanks Jayen for that indepth reply

Do you suggest I deactivate ALL my plugins then before handing my sites over to my host to upgrade to the latest version PHP-or just the plugins you mentioned and/or just the sites with Affilotheme?

What about the sites that have the Wordpress Jetpack?

I've had major problems getting affilotheme installed as it is so am not looking forward to refixing it if this causes further problems. Would this problem not affect sites hosted by Hostgator or do you think it
will eventually affect any wordpress site hosted by someone else?
http://johnreason.com/recommends.php?linkid=Affiloblueprint
Build a Successful Website in 12 Weeks.

Site Admin
mikeantiga
Trust:
Hi Covenantguy,

Upgrading to PHP 5.3.2 will not generally affect Wordpress sites unless it using an outdated version of Wordpress. Please also make sure that all your plugins are up-to-date. In comparison, our AffiloJetpack and AffiloTheme hosting servers are using PHP Version 5.3.3.
Want lessons on Affiliate Marketing, SEO and Content Creation? Get them here for FREE:
http://www.affilorama.com/lessons

This topic was started on Sep 03, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.