Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

which niche to choose

scottbibbs
Posts: 122
Joined: 25 Nov 09
Trust:

which niche to choose

I am having a difficult time choosing a niche, I would like to do something on fitness which is something I am familiar with and I exercise myself frequently, however after doing some research I have seen how competitive it is , I had put together a weight loss website with the first blueprint and had some good rankings but no sales, so I guess my question would be is it best to do something your familiar with and have some knowledge and passion or do something else that is not so competitive and maybe I would stand a better chance at making sales, and then come back to the fitness once I have had some success , would appreciate any feedback thanks
  • 0
queenmaa
Posts: 17
Joined: 27 Jul 09
Trust:
What do you like to do or what are you familiar with? Those are the questions you have to ask yourself. If you like fitness I think you should go for it. It's like network marketing companies there are a million of them out there but they are all in business and people are using their products. You might say it is competitive but it's obviously enough money to go around.

Even if you do something less competitive and you don't really know what you are doing or how to do it do you really think you can be successful with it?
  • 0
chidi11
Posts: 57
Joined: 15 Dec 11
Trust:
If you love fitness do fitness but look for a niche in the fitness field that you will be seen as a expert. Also do a lot of Sociol commenting on fitness so google will and your vistors will come to you when your keywords are put in search engines. Health and fitness is a great field to get in at the moment as google is and will be taking your presence on sociol media to rank you.
  • 0
chidi11
Posts: 57
Joined: 15 Dec 11
Trust:
If you love fitness do fitness but look for a niche in the fitness field that you will be seen as a expert. Also do a lot of Sociol commenting on fitness so google will and your vistors will come to you when your keywords are put in search engines. Health and fitness is a great field to get in at the moment as google is and will be taking your presence on sociol media to rank you.
  • 0
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Posts: 4723
Joined: 19 Jun 09
Trust:
Fitness is competetitve because it is so general and broad, sub niche it down and find exactly what part of fitness you want to help people with. look at age group, types of fitness training you use and recommend, etc...
the more you sub niche it down the less competition there is. As an affiliate, most people aren't teaching to find a unique selling point, but you can still do it and promote other people's products.

Was just asked this yesterday by a client. one key area to focus on is to get a clear Idea of exactly who you are and what you bring that is unique to the niche. Why are you in the niche? what can you offer that others aren't? if you truly have a passion for this niche, then you can really do well. most people are just in it for the money and don't care enough to really do the reslarch into finding their own unique position in the niche.

ONCE you have your unique perspecive, find your ideal customer and what you have to share with them that they aren't getting already.

Finding a USP is essential to survive in a really competetive niche like fitness. Although it might seem flooded, new people are coming out and making it work every day. you can too.

I really recommend following this article from my friend Steve Scott on how to define your ideal customer...
  • 1
Your Focus Determines Your Reality
 
Site Admin
maryt
Posts: 3015
Joined: 16 Apr 12
Trust:
Try to look at several evergreen niches and pick the ones that you know you have knowledge with or you know you'll be able to enjoy promoting.

Do not think of whether that niche is over saturated or not. You should know that all niches/topics online are over saturated or almost over saturated. So instead of thinking that way, you can pick a general niche and sub-categorize this niche into smaller niches until you reached a super niche that you can easily promote and rank your keywords in SERPs.

I hope that helps.

Mary
  • 0
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! http://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: http://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: http://www.affilorama.com/facebook

***
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama
 
scottbibbs
Posts: 122
Joined: 25 Nov 09
Trust:
Thanks James for your opinion, I get your newsletters and like them, I guess I am a little concerned because my first weight loss site did not do well and I was thinking perhaps something else, but when you break it down that way it makes more sense thank you Scotteleselittle
jmpruitt wrote:Fitness is competetitve because it is so general and broad, sub niche it down and find exactly what part of fitness you want to help people with. look at age group, types of fitness training you use and recommend, etc...
the more you sub niche it down the less competition there is. As an affiliate, most people aren't teaching to find a unique selling point, but you can still do it and promote other people's products.

Was just asked this yesterday by a client. one key area to focus on is to get a clear Idea of exactly who you are and what you bring that is unique to the niche. Why are you in the niche? what can you offer that others aren't? if you truly have a passion for this niche, then you can really do well. most people are just in it for the money and don't care enough to really do the reslarch into finding their own unique position in the niche.

ONCE you have your unique perspecive, find your ideal customer and what you have to share with them that they aren't getting already.

Finding a USP is essential to survive in a really competetive niche like fitness. Although it might seem flooded, new people are coming out and making it work every day. you can too.

I really recommend following this article from my friend Steve Scott on how to define your ideal customer...
  • 0
scottbibbs
Posts: 122
Joined: 25 Nov 09
Trust:
Thanks for your comments if I do go with fitness I will break it down to a niche inside a niche, my first site was a weight loss site did not do well howeverit may have been to broad as James had suggested thanks Scott
marytordecilla wrote:Try to look at several evergreen niches and pick the ones that you know you have knowledge with or you know you'll be able to enjoy promoting.

Do not think of whether that niche is over saturated or not. You should know that all niches/topics online are over saturated or almost over saturated. So instead of thinking that way, you can pick a general niche and sub-categorize this niche into smaller niches until you reached a super niche that you can easily promote and rank your keywords in SERPs.

I hope that helps.

Mary
  • 0
scottbibbs
Posts: 122
Joined: 25 Nov 09
Trust:
Thanks for your comments, sorry it took awhile to get back to you however my primary business has been very busy as of late, now in regards to your comments my first site was a weight loss site with the first affiloblueprint and even though I had some good rankings I had no sales and I gave up on it after about a year of trying so I wanted to try again with the new blueprint course and was thinking something different perhaps less competitive although all niches will have competition the fitness and weight loss industry is the most and as far as being successful in a niche you really don,t know that much about in the beginning it can be done because I can learn enough about it by doing research and I also pay for my content to be written for me this is another business venture and that is how I look at it, I just want to feel I have a reasonable chance to compete. However my last site was my first and I did learn alot and when I do a fitness site I wil break it down into a sub niche as James has suggested thanks again and good luck to you Scott
queenmaa wrote:What do you like to do or what are you familiar with? Those are the questions you have to ask yourself. If you like fitness I think you should go for it. It's like network marketing companies there are a million of them out there but they are all in business and people are using their products. You might say it is competitive but it's obviously enough money to go around.

Even if you do something less competitive and you don't really know what you are doing or how to do it do you really think you can be successful with it?
  • 0
scottbibbs
Posts: 122
Joined: 25 Nov 09
Trust:
Thank you for your comments Scott
chidi11 wrote:If you love fitness do fitness but look for a niche in the fitness field that you will be seen as a expert. Also do a lot of Sociol commenting on fitness so google will and your vistors will come to you when your keywords are put in search engines. Health and fitness is a great field to get in at the moment as google is and will be taking your presence on sociol media to rank you.
  • 0
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Posts: 4723
Joined: 19 Jun 09
Trust:
I understand how frustrating it can be, especially now days with SEO being so up in the air. However, if you really dig in and find something that sets you apart from the crowd, people will start talking about you, and that is when it really takes off.

Also, as you get into the niche, start networking with other fitness bloggers, and try to get to know some of the product owners whos products you promote. These people have followings of raving fans, and they can often help you bypass the competition and get a lot of traffic without waiting for months.

It will also help your seo to have respected authorities mention you in a blog post or through their social media channels. Google does watch that kind of thing, and it will boost your credibility within the niche as well.
  • 0
Your Focus Determines Your Reality
 
Site Admin
maryt
Posts: 3015
Joined: 16 Apr 12
Trust:
Thanks for your comments if I do go with fitness I will break it down to a niche inside a niche, my first site was a weight loss site did not do well howeverit may have been to broad as James had suggested thanks Scott


That's right Scott. :) Just start with a super niche site BUT make sure that the one you will pick still has a huge market out there. Try to research about that niche first and then see if it's worth promoting.

Good luck!

Mary
  • 0
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! http://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: http://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: http://www.affilorama.com/facebook

***
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama
 

This topic was started on Feb 01, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.