Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

What's "The Klout Score"

feeoshea
Trust:

What's "The Klout Score"

Hey, does anyone know about Klout? I've heard that it scores your influence on the net through social media. From what I've read it appears to be targeted more to retail type websites ????
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
personally, I find Klout to be a total waste of time that can be better spent on things that actually mean something. the concept is that it ranks your influence based on how many people vote for you, as well as measuring things like likes on fb, how many followers you have in fb, twitter, and Google +, and a few other social sites.

however, their system is not very hard to scam, and many of the real influencers don't have a good Klout rating,while people who are focused on "social metrics" but not really doing anything influencial have learned many ways to scam the system and boost their ratings.

also, some niche markets will be more accurate than others. like anything, social influence is really about engagement, not numbers, and you really can't measure that in the tradional way. its not just a numbers game, and that is all they can measure.

I would rather have 500 followers who are engaged and actually taking action on what I want them to do ( mainly buying products through my affiliate links) than thousands of fans who like and share everything I post but never spend a dime.

However, a lot of SEO is being infliuenced by social signals, and klout can help you with tracking what is going on across multiple social channels.

I have a Klout account, but use it more for watching what is going on across my social networks more than trying to boost my klout score.

At the end of the day, you need the social signals to improve your seo and to get more traffic, but you need to ballance that with finding buying customers. Usually, the people who share and comment on great content are not the same people who buy the products you are trying to sell. you need to find your own ballance between the two, and speak to both groups of people through your articles to really master your online business in this day and age.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

feeoshea
Trust:
Thanks James for that - I appreciate it. Think I may give it a miss for now and just keep concentrating on the more important things.

This topic was started on Jul 23, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.