Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

What makes affiliates fail?

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:

What makes affiliates fail?

It's Friday afternoon here in the future (a.k.a New Zealand), so it's time for a pop quiz.

One of the things we often hear people say is that they "tried and failed" a bunch of different things before they came to Affilorama. (Aww, warm fuzzies.)

What do you think it is that makes you fail?

Is it because you get stuck on a certain step? Do you KNOW you have to do something, but it's hard, so you don't go any further?

Or is it that you couldn't really figure out what you had to do in the first place?

Or do you get distracted by something else?

Or do you think you're not really sure if anything is ever going to work for you, so it's hard to be motivated?

Or are there too many good things on TV? (Guilty!)

Or do you think you still have too much to learn, so you're waiting until you know it all?

What do you think it is that's stopping you from getting to where you want to be? (And for bonus credit, how do you think you could overcome that?)
Last edited by aletta on 15 May 14 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

thejewel
Trust:
I think it's uncertainty (in yourself)-second guessing yourself if you've made the right decision. You overthink it you end up discouraging yourself. In the end, you just give up without even giving it a chance.
emlj
Trust:
All of the above I reckon. The problem is, these things usually conspire to convince you that you have failed even before you really start. The worst kind of failure is not taking some kind of action.

Create a plan and stick to it. If you fail, but can put your hand on your heart & say that you gave it your best shot, then you will be on your way to finding success. You just have to have the resilience to try again. The more you try, the more lessons you will learn & the better you will become.
felistas.mutonono
Trust:
True. I think its all of the above and more. Like most of us do not have the staying power we walk away at the first sign of difficulty or challenge. We are lazy we want it easy and quick. If not, we are easy to quit and jump on the next shiny object.
ecommerce-services
Trust:
Exactly, thats absolutly the way it is as said by felistas.mutonono. Nowadays we go for what is easy and quick instead of staying for one thing and trying to figure out the issue.
mamagy
Trust:
Hi!
In my case, there are several causes combined. At first I was very overmotivated, I started working on a project and dealt with several tasks at once. Then the easy stuff (creating content, setting up and tweaking site, basic backlinking) was done for a moment and then I felt that I don't know enough to go on...
Then difficulties of personal life and health, they have distracted me from my goals more than once...
Now I have hard time of concentrating on anything. Hell, I almost quit typing that response...
Weird thing is, that I have never doubted in final results, I just never gotten there.. I have made about 100$ in affiliate marketing over the times so I am 101% sure it works just fine. Problem is in me- I just haven't enough strength and determination to pick myself up again and start working.

The last reason you stated is probably most interesting and biggest reason why people, including me, start to drift away. In a while I have learned a lot. A LOT, really. And I'm happy about it, I'm interested in it. But in my case, I start to wonder about what I yet don't know. Thoughts like "What if I'm doing that wrong" and "Should I do anything more about it" were constantly bugging me and twisting my mind.

I guess that I'm not going to earn any "Bonus points" for that, but I guess that one thing that helps (probably not everyone) is that you should give yourself enough time. Don't expect too much from too short time. Find out, what can you do best and, well... Do that! Do that as long you succeed.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Don't expect too much from too short time.

I think that's really good advice. Nothing is gonna kill your motivation more than the expectation of overnight millions, and the subsequent dose of reality.

Problem is in me- I just haven't enough strength and determination to pick myself up again and start working.

When you first started out you were super motivated. What do you think has changed between then and now?
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

mamagy
Trust:
aletta wrote:When you first started out you were super motivated. What do you think has changed between then and now?

Well, I think the main reason is, that I should have gotten psychical treatment looong ago. What was first just a bad feeling and low spirits has evolved to severe depression. I have no idea what causes it and in last six months my doctor haven't had the best success with meds. So I guess until I get that stuff sorted out, my ability to concentrate is really low.
I actually started to make some plans in affiliate marketing again but development is slow and I'm not even trying to push it because it may lead to quitting once more.
I really hope that things start to get better soon as I love the nature of this kind of work.

And I'm a little surprised that you remember something about me, that's.. nice ;) It's still four years since I first started to participate in this community.. :)

Mait.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Well, I think the main reason is, that I should have gotten psychical treatment looong ago. What was first just a bad feeling and low spirits has evolved to severe depression.

Sorry to hear that. It stinks when your brain chemistry doesn't want to come to the party, and I know it can take a long time to balance things out again. It's yet another exercise in patience, I guess. Patience and persistence and faith that it'll work eventually.

IN THE MEANTIME, I think you're doing it right. Just take it slowly, and make sure you celebrate and enjoy your small successes. I like to think of it as climbing a big hill. Don't think about how much further to the top, just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and stop to catch a breather and enjoy the view now and again.

This topic was started on May 02, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.