Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

What is the best dictation/voice recognition software?

briancol
Trust:

What is the best dictation/voice recognition software?

Anyone got some clues? i think this could dramatically speed up my article creation
[*]how long do they take to be effective?

kind regards
Brian
traeth
Trust:
Dragon Naturally Speaking is a good option.

http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/

You could use the old version over buying the newer version that came out with in the past year, and have just as much success. Find a copy on ebay or something like that. Sometimes you can find the older versions at stores when they are going through a version change.

Also, a friend told me, don't spend anymore than about $30.00 on your microphone headset if you need one, you don't need $100 mike to be successful.

Hope this helps. I haven't used the program but watched as someone else did. Biggest learning curve is breaking in software to get your voice patterns down, but that goes pretty quick.
Much Success!!
Tracy

santiago
Trust:
HI Brian,

Mac or PC? I use a Mac and have tried MacSpeech Dicate. It works but for some reason the translation is a little buggy. I'm not the great at typing so its a good way to take a break and talk my article to completion.

Supposedly, Dragon NaturallySpeaking (version 10) uses the same engine as MacSpeech so it should be pretty good.

VERDICT: It very cool to watch it type the words out as I say them, but trying to correct the typos (misunderstood words) during the session is a little annoying. I say it saves about 30% of my time vs typing.
*) Absolutely FREE Headers for Your AffiloBlueprint Site!...

PREVIEW: http://www.youtube.com/user/ABHeaderPro

*) Join UniqueArticleWizard Via Link http://bit.ly/UAW-Bonus & GET PDF Cheatsheet to Increase Ezine Clickthru
PM me for more details. :-)

briancol
Trust:
Thanks Guys

I was looking at dragon until i saw the price *Gasp..

Then i began playing with cheaper software that does the same thing, but its a bit buggy, ive been trying to train it and it seems to be getting better, for the price of dragon it better be BLOODY EXCELLENT and require almost no training to get 95% of the words right.. its $600 or more on amazon. professional edition.

PC
slvrsrfr
Trust:
i don't see why you need anything more than the preferred version for $199.

still, a chunk of change to be sure!!

jason
evolution
Trust:
Brian, I'm still Using Dragon Naturally Speaking 8.1 and have no need for anything else.
It worked fine out of the box with minimal training and after that it was more or less learning how to correct and edit using the software, that took about a week or so with everyday use.
Now i can crack out an 1800 word peice in notepad in about 10 minutes. It dictates into dozens of different programs chat, word processing, xsite pro etc and saves me a ton of time in writing articles.
I also use it when browsing for content to gather notes for research and am just getting to the stage where i can read something on a web site and translate that directly into my content notes in the way i want them to be read effectivly researching and writing the article at the same time.
I do a bit of editing and restructuring once the main article is written. It saves me heaps of time! i would recommend it to anybody. It is well worth the time it takes to train it as it comes back to you later in time savings of hrs if not days or weeks.
briancol
Trust:
Thanks Evolution,

Very good advice, i have been playing with a free/cheap version and its quite hard to train, it does speed up productivity and produces an entirely different style of article, one i quite like.. im seriously considering getting dragon naturally speaking - preferred version.

kind regards
Brian
slvrsrfr
Trust:
wondering if anyone has used windows voice recognition that comes with the operating system. does it work? well?

thanks,

jason
briancol
Trust:
Thats the free software i was trying, well its 3rd party using microsofts voice recognition,,,, try out speak 2 text (from tucows) for a free try, they claim 95 % accuracy after training, but i found it not so accurate, more like 50% then again it may be programmed for an American accent, mine is South African - a far cry from the original programmers etc, dont know how much this features,,
PremiumMember
depthdefy
Trust:
I recently bought the $200 Naturally Speaking. It came with a headset and I'm pleased with it. Sometimes there are problems with punctuation and some words it refuses to get right but it's still much quicker that manually typing. I've found that the fastest method of dictation is if I read a whole paragraph and then go back and proofread it. $200 seemed steep to me, but with the way I can get pretty dyslexic when I type it's quite worth it over the long run.
vqaa
Trust:
Hi
Windows works well if you train it speak slowly and clearly
It does not like accents
zargonoth
Trust:
I have Vista 64 bit edition and it works okay, it's fairly accurate.

I purchased Nuance DNS 10.01 since they enabled 64 bit compatibility and WOW it is a big difference. Only 20-30 seconds of training during setup and I'm more accurate and productive than using the built in Vista software.

I've learned to do commands and essentially keep my hands away from my keyboard and mouse until I need to scroll down or use the arrow keys for some reason. Pretty nifty software for this version.

Like the others have said, speak clearly and constantly and the money that you spend will be well spent after you break out a 500 plus article in a few minutes (over and over again.) Spend the time on training, it's very little compared to version 8.0 and you should come out on top.

Best of luck,

FYI: This is written with DNS 10
sarasmiles
Trust:
If you're talking about something that types what you speak....Video Professor online tried to add it to an item I was buying once, via phone. They went on and on about how great it was!
briancol
Trust:
So the verdict is Out? the best overall performer seems to be dragon naturally speaking and version 10 or later if possible, im keen to do this as i really think it will pay for itself with the speed of the articles being produced.

What got to me with the microsoft version was that it almost slows me down when compared to typing.. i have to re pronounce again and again and it still gets things wrong(some words!) and i have to speak like im dictating to a secretary...

i dont really like that, im thinking DNS would be a lot better and no i dont expect to speak really fast but faster than i have with windows at least.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I hope i can make enough money off my first site to pay for it :) it would be nice to not spend hours typing out an article. that is the main thing slowing me down at this stage
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

carrson
Trust:
Wave To Text - powerful English speech recognition software

A useful English speech recognition software 'Wave To Text v5.2'. Help you convert your voice to text in real-time, while the program's wizard enables you to convert your Windows Audio WAV files (speech recorded) offline.

[Link no longer available]
devintx
Trust:
I just installed Naturally Speaking last night and wanted to weigh in here.

I picked up DNS 10 Standard for under $45 on eBay, and it's absolutely one of the best investments I've made since I started my business.

I cranked out about 6 good articles last night, normally I only have patience for one. What I'll do now is create the main article (the really high quality one) and then immediately create 2 or 3 more for Ezinearticles, Squidoo, etc.

The fact that you can pretty much just lean back and ramble away and watch the content stack up makes this a total game-changer for me. The accuracy is nearly 100%, I just have to make sure I speak clearly.

Highly recommended!
The Challenge: $10k/mo in 365 days - www.devinelder.com

This topic was started on Jun 20, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.