Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

What is "original content" to Google

liveinasiablog
Trust:

What is "original content" to Google

Hey everyone,
I'm wondering what percentage you would have to spin an article to for it to be considered "original content" by Google.

Thanks,

Ryan
PremiumMember
newstart
Trust:
I usually write two articles on the same subject. The better of the two is published on the website. The second article is spun. When comparing the spun articles against the first or website published article the AffiloRama Compare Tool indicates 80% difference. When comparing the spun articles against themselves using the same compare tool I get variations of 45 to 55%.

I use Rapid Rewriter to spin. Usually spin all sentences 5 times. Set the system to occasionally drop a paragraph and or a sentence. Maximum number of synonyms used.

Margene
liveinasiablog
Trust:
Hi Margene,
Thanks for the info. What I'm looking for, specifically, is the percentage difference that makes an article "original" to Google. Will your 45% to 55% articles both rank in Google for the same keyword, or are they considered to be duplicate content?

Thanks,

Ryan
PremiumMember
newstart
Trust:
I believe that Mark Ling claims the desired percentage is 50%. However, my notes indicate that Mark stated the minimum variation is 25%.

Other than AffiloRama, I do not know of any sources that specify an exact percentage.

An auxiliary question - I have tested my spun articles on various programs. Each of the programs produced a different result. If your spun article is at the minimum standard which program comparable is correct?

Margene
stefan1601
Trust:
newstart wrote:I usually write two articles on the same subject. The better of the two is published on the website. The second article is spun. When comparing the spun articles against the first or website published article the AffiloRama Compare Tool indicates 80% difference. When comparing the spun articles against themselves using the same compare tool I get variations of 45 to 55%.

I use Rapid Rewriter to spin. Usually spin all sentences 5 times. Set the system to occasionally drop a paragraph and or a sentence. Maximum number of synonyms used.

Margene

Hi Margene,

5 times spin/sentence + synonym spin is a lot of work for 1 article. How much do you pay for the spin? Or do you get it done yourself?

I only spin 1x per sentence. It shows 100% on Best Spinner, but yeah, it is pretty easy for copyscape to search some of the versions once it's been distributed, so I guess it wasn't enough to escape "duplicate content" label
PremiumMember
newstart
Trust:
I am a school administrator for a private school. As such I have access to students to write articles. Though I cannot demand results based on a time sensitivity I am able to get the very best articles written for minimal expense.

The students enjoy seeing their articles published on a website. This provides motivation for the student to excel in their article research as well as their writing.

Margene
esolutions
Trust:
Hi Margene,

That sounds troubling. I hope you're not using students schoolwork or assigning them schoolwork to create a financial gain for yourself.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

PremiumMember
newstart
Trust:
Yes, they are getting paid. All the revenue created goes to the parents of the students involved in the projects.
esolutions
Trust:
Hi Margene,

In that case, it sounds like you are educating both students and parents that non traditional income does exist and can be obtained! Nice!
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

liveinasiablog
Trust:
I just did a bit of a test. I spun an article to 100%--I rewrote each sentence 3 to 5 times. I submitted it to several places. Then I posted it to Hub Pages, who does not accept duplicate content.

It was rejected for being duplicate content!

This makes me think that all this article spinning is kind of worthless.

1. Sites like Ezine accept duplicate content, so there is no need to spin articles to get them published there.
2. Google does not penalize a site that get backlinks from duplicate, syndicated content.
3. And sites like Hub Pages can tell if an article is spun. Then they reject them!

So, really, there is no need to waste time with article spinning. Not unless you spin it at the word level and sentence level and the paragraph level and make it so unique that it is, in fact, a totally new article every time it is spun.
PremiumMember
newstart
Trust:
Check it on "Copyscape". This will tell you whether sentence and phraseology are identical to another article on the web.

I have instances where I have inadvertently used the same phrase in another article I wrote. This caused Ezine Articles to refuse it. Eliminated the duplicate phrases the article was accepted.

Even using a spin software can create duplicate content if you are putting in sentences that are identical to what you have written earlier.

I try to insure each spun article varies in word count, sentence count, as well as paragraph count. In this way there are NO easy tell tale signs that the spun article is produced from an earlier published article.

Margene
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
I just did a bit of a test. I spun an article to 100%--I rewrote each sentence 3 to 5 times. I submitted it to several places. Then I posted it to Hub Pages, who does not accept duplicate content.

We recommend spun articles should be at least 50%. But I think it's best to spin an article 100% and run it through Copyscape before submission. That process, albeit arduous, works for me.

I think article directories define original content as something that passes Copyscape whereas Google puts more weight on quality..

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

smuigal
Trust:
There's a lot of confusion with what it means to have Fresh or Quality content. I watched several videos by Matt Cutts and here's what he encourages...

1. Fresh is not about posting more often. It's about posting content that is new, relevant, and offers value to the visitor.

2. Fresh is about doing research and gathering up all your facts and figures, then writing an original article based on your research, opinion, and ideas.

3. Fresh is not about rewriting articles that are already posted online.

4. A blog can post a FRESH article 1 month after the last post and it is FRESH because it is original.

Personally, I spend a lot of time on my content that I post on my personal blog. It's like being a reporter. I gather up a lot of material from the Internet, news, sometimes offline materials, then I write an article on it.

Articles that I have written to boost the SEO of my site are far less in quality content. It would cost me fr more than $10.00 an article if I were to pay someone to write the type of quality content required to be posted to my blog.

I think if you want to have a fresh blog, then you need to think of the visitor value you offer with each post. I have just networked with these two people who have launched 2 successful WSO's of the day in the Warrior forum. What attracted her to me was the quality content on Netwoozy. This lead to her wanting to work with me on my WSO launch yesterday.

I mention this because there is far too much information about creating content for the sole purpose of generating backlinks and the power of creating high quality content on your blog appears to be lost in translation.

The best way to generate traffic is to generate traffic that will snowball on it's own, without Google pushing it down the hill.

I've only just started to focus my attention first on my visitors benefits, and I'm seeing good results because of it. I think it's probably the more difficult road to travel, but I do believe it will be the highest rewarding one.

Last thought - I think I remember Mark Ling saying that he spends $100.00 per newsletter issue of one of his popular websites. I'm guessing that with that quality of content in his newsletter, he's generating a high amount of income, but also a lot of referrals and traffic that are coming from social traffic rather than all from Google.

This is what I'mma thinkn,
Chrisi
Need help? Looking for answers? I've coached 70+ students to 5 and 6 figure success. Private message me on FB for details on a one on one session for help knowing where to start your success or end your failure. https://www.facebook.com/netwoozy.gal

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
I mention this because there is far too much information about creating content for the sole purpose of generating backlinks and the power of creating high quality content on your blog appears to be lost in translation.

The best way to generate traffic is to generate traffic that will snowball on it's own, without Google pushing it down the hill.

This is so true. Most marketers get caught up in getting backlinks that quantity takes the front seat while quality sits out the back. This happens not just in article submission but in forum posting and blog commenting too.

I think this has a lot to do with the idea that you need tons of backlinks to boost page rank. While this is true, I think there's more to be gained by getting traffic from the links rather than page rank. You need to convince users that your site can give them further information and the best way to do that is by making the article/comment interesting and informative.
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
There really isn't much new being said online. However, you can always put a new spin on it, or throw in a personal opinion or story to help others understand something better. One great way to do this is through video. I like to take dusty old plr articles, rewrite them with a story, and turn them into videos that I can syndicate. Video brings a lot of direct traffic to your site when done properly, and can help you build your reputation quickly.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
I find this recent post on duplicate content from SEOMoz helpful:
Duplicate Content in a Post-Panda World

The article illustrates what duplicate content is and towards the end, gives tips on how to fix it.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

This topic was started on Nov 01, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.