Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

What are some Disclaimers to put on Affiliate Sites?

peternick
Trust:

What are some Disclaimers to put on Affiliate Sites?

Hi
I have just joined so hello to everyone. I have been reading some posts on the Warrior Forum about Bob Silber saying he was prepared to sue Mike Filsaime for $150000 for copyright infringment of his TOS and disclaimers.

Mike says he used weblawgenerator.com to create the pages but he still had to pay $3000.

This seems a minefield and I certainly would not want to be sued.
Can anyone give me information about putting disclaimers ect on affiliate sites and if it is law and where do you get the information without the fear of being sued?
Thanks

Peter
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
The easiest and most cost effective method is to simply create your own. Write a bunch of pages stating what you will do with the visitors information and how their privacy is guaranteed or whatever and how you are not responsible for the product being sold.

You don't have to use the fancy legal lingo which ebay.com would use.

Cheers
cyonics
Trust:
However, if you want it to hold up in court, it better have all that fancy legal jumbo that clearly explains all the fine details which in the end covers your a**.

If you are truly serious about your business and wanted something that would actually provide you with protection in a court of law, you will want a lawyer to to do all the writing of your legal documents. You can find lawyers out there who specialize in these types of services and generally these services are billed as a flat-fee (unless your situation is specialized and requires more time).

Do some googling and I'm sure you can find plenty of lawyers online. However, the best way is to grab your local phone book and start making calls. Generally most all Lawyers will give you a FREE consultation to try and win your business. I HIGHLY recommend you take FULL advantage of these FREE valuable services. I learned more in a 1 hour free consultation than I had with 3 weeks of scouring the web on my own!

In the end, the information that I gained for FREE was then used to help increase Profits! As the old saying goes "Knowledge is Power", however, when in the business world, I like to think of it as "Knowledge is Profit". It's a bit more fitting for my goals! :)

Anyhow, this is just my 2 cents, I'm not a lawyer, so take it with a grain of salt.
peternick
Trust:
Thanks for your posts. I will have to think about this.

Peter
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I'd be interested in what Mark had to say about this. I'm certainly not bigtime, so hiring a lawyer seems a bit like overkill to me.

Anyone else got some thoughts on this?
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

cyonics
Trust:
A cheaper solution is a cookie cutter legal document. These are plug-n-play type legal documents. When you order, their website will ask you some questions related to your document and then provide you with a semi-customized legal document.

Just remember they are not 100% iron clad and assume you are safe now. You would still want a lawyer to review the document and make sure it actually provides you with protection.