Affilorama Birthday
Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Visitors clickthru to an aff offer then goes back to my site

nates450r
Trust:

Visitors clickthru to an aff offer then goes back to my site

Through daily website stats, I see a pattern of visitors visiting an article page then clicking the affiliate offer (in the main panel just below the fold - its a text link) spending 1-2 minutes then clicking back to my website then leaving the website.

It sucks because I know the product is a proven great seller so I could be losing tons of sales. This is happening mostly with my article pages, not on my product review pages. I use redirects (format: mywebsie/recommends/aff-product) so I don't know if the visitors are surprised to be taken to a different website. Any ideas?
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi nates450r,

From the way you described it, I am thinking, yes, visitors might actually be taken aback at being referred to another webpage so once they get to the product page, they go back to your site. No sale.

If possible, could you post a link of the page you're referring to so I can take a look at the link? Maybe it needs a bit of tweaking so that it would look more as an external link instead of text?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

Add us on Google Plus: http://www.affilorama.com/googleplus

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
It's also possible that the keyword that you are using is not relevant to the product that you are promoting. Does the product solve a problem / is relevant to your article?

If you were promoting a product that could fix a problem in your article then you'll make more sales with that word than with a more general keyword. Try to use more specific keywords.

For example, if you use the keyword "weimaraner", someone typing in could just be looking for pictures of a weimaraner or a general information about the dogs. Or for a keyword such as "weight loss", you might say that people typing that in want to lose weight but it's also possible that someone might be experiencing unexpected weight loss! And there are so many different topics inside “weight loss” that you don’t really know what they’re wanting. Are they wanting weight loss diets, workouts, programs, surgery? Use keywords that are really specific like “how to lose pregnancy fat”, “lose belly fat”, “get six pack abs” etc.
Michelle
Customer Support

=========================

Want a step-by-step training program in affiliate marketing? Affiloblueprint is a "hand-holding" course that will will show you how to build a site, drive traffic to it, and monetize it.

Go to this link to start building your profitable affiliate sites now!
www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

Unless your visitor is in the buyer mindset, like "I need to buy right now", it may take more than a simple link to get them to purchase. You can determine this by the keywords that you've used and the keywords and traffic sources that your visitor uses to arrive at the page in question.

If it's not super urgent traffic, that's fine, you can do two things to improve conversions:

1. Improve the page content to lead them through solving their current problem or curiosity and progressively show them the next steps (get them into the buyer mindset by showing them why/how it will benefit them and build upon what they are searching for).

People have a short attention span, which is why in addition to #1, you should also:

2. Get them to subscribe to your list. Once subscribed, you send them periodic emails, walking them through the steps to solve their problems, introducing related problems and solutions. Little by little you earn their trust and you teach them how buying the product can help them.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

nates450r
Trust:
Cecille L wrote:Hi nates450r,

From the way you described it, I am thinking, yes, visitors might actually be taken aback at being referred to another webpage so once they get to the product page, they go back to your site. No sale.

If possible, could you post a link of the page you're referring to so I can take a look at the link? Maybe it needs a bit of tweaking so that it would look more as an external link instead of text?

Hope to hear from you soon.

here is one of my most popular articles that this click back problem has been happing with.

http://abdominalsuccess.com/Foods-That- ... y-Fat.html
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
one thing that I would do with a page like this is rather than having an affiliate link, I would link to my product review. This helps give you that chance to presell people on the product, especially with keywords like this one that don't have a lot of buyer intent.

This is a good "authority building" type keyword. it builds your authority and brings you readers, but people looking for it aren't in a buying mode yet. I agree with using these type of keywords to funnel people into a review page or onto the email list rather than into a product.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

nates450r
Trust:
jmpruitt wrote:one thing that I would do with a page like this is rather than having an affiliate link, I would link to my product review. This helps give you that chance to presell people on the product, especially with keywords like this one that don't have a lot of buyer intent.

This is a good "authority building" type keyword. it builds your authority and brings you readers, but people looking for it aren't in a buying mode yet. I agree with using these type of keywords to funnel people into a review page or onto the email list rather than into a product.

Thanks for your input its always helphul.
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi nates450r,

Thanks for giving a link to the webpage you're referring to. Looking at your CTA link now, it leads people to thinking you are offering them a " nutrition guide". It appears to be a link where you can get more information related to the article so readers click on it and are taken to the product page, all the while thinking they will get a " nutrition guide". You can keep the same verbiage for your CTA link, but refer them to your review page for the product as James suggested.

Another option is to change your wording for the CTA link and say something like " Get rid of the flab through a healthy diet. Find out how ...NOW" .

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Step by step guide to "Penguin-proofed" sites : www.affilorama.com/affiloblueprint

nates450r
Trust:
ok i started today beefing up my articles with more useful content and inter-linking also i revised the CTA links to link to my review pages. Because i understand now that just because someone is reading one of my weight loss articles it does not mean there ready to buy anything at that moment.

Now that im tweaking my website(s) post panda will google re rank the pages? the next time the spiders crawl? i guess its a waiting game again right?? lol
Site Admin
cecille.l
Trust:
Now that im tweaking my website(s) post panda will google re rank the pages? the next time the spiders crawl? i guess its a waiting game again right?? lol

Yes, they'll probably re-rank the pages. I don't think it'll have too much effect on your website though since this is a minor tweak. I've found that getting a lot of traffic on your site for your keywords have a huge positive effect on you ranking so you might want to focus on backlinking and getting traffic to your site.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

This topic was started on Mar 06, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.