Affilorama Birthday
Just want to chat? Talk some smack. If it doesn't fit into one of the areas below then you'll be posting here (Note: Please try and find the best section before posting here)

Using other peoples ads

linconian
Trust:

Using other peoples ads

Hi, first post

As a newbie to affiliate marketing I'm not sure if I can take the merchants advertising copy on their websites and transfer it to mine, and then use deeplinking to get the customer to the checkout without distracting him/her from the other products the merchant has to offer.

I have a site of my own (Sports themed) and have a couple of venders (Trainer Station & UK Soccer Shop) through Webgains, but thats as far as I've got at present.

I've bought several books on getting to number one in search engines and PPC but I need to start adding to the index page of my site with advertising about the two merchants I already have, but how do people go about this.

It probably sounds strange that I know a little about the inner workings of being an affiliate but don't know how to go on from here, but thats the problem.

A little nudge in the right direction please.

Thankyou.
Michael

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Hi Linconian. Welcome to affilorama.

Many vendors have an affiliate resource area with banner ads and copy that you are allowed to use, however, using your own original copy will help. You should focus on the customer, and writing articles to help them, and let your advertisements be an addition to your site, rather than the whole purpose behind it.

It has been tried and tested many times. the more value you give someone up front, the more they will trust your recommendations on a product.

One of the things that Mark teaches through his programs is to build up a site with 20-30 articles targeted to helping people in your niche. then, place an advertisement on each of those pages for a product related to that problem.

I don't recommend advertising more than one product on a given page. If you give people too many choices, they will generally not make any. limit the choice, and tell them where they should go by advertising one product that best fits what that page is about.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

linconian
Trust:
Hello James

Thanks for the reply.

One of the sites I hooked up with, Trainer Station is a seller of sports trainers and I wanted to take each trainer on their site and put it on a seperate page with its own discription and link it to the payment page on the Trainer Station website. One small problem with doing this is I don't have the page transition software ie: displaying the product in 4 different views or at diferent angles like its done on their site. Do you know what this type of software is called.

Or is it better to just have a static graphic of the trainer + discription on my site, I wonder if that will be enough to convince the customers to buy.

Thanks again.

Michael.
Michael

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
not really sure what you are talking about there. My job as an affiliate isn't to sell the product. that is the job of their sales page. My job is to help people, and recommend a product that will help them further.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality

faradina
Trust:
Hi Michael,

If I am understanding it correctly, what you want to do is display on your site the same content that is available on the merchant site sales page(s). I would not recommend doing that as it would be considered duplicate content. Another thing is that the merchant may not like your copying what is on their sales pages. They would have provided you with copy on their affiliate resources pages and that is what you can freely use on your own site.
linconian
Trust:
I apologize for the way I tried explain things. At 65yrs old its not easy for me to lay things out as they should be or to your way of thinking, after all, affiliating is new to me and I've yet to master the laguage, let alone the affiliate/merchant relationship thing.

Though, I'm certainly in the right place to learn.

You were right Fara, thats the idea I had but if you think it unwise, I'll have a look at the ad pages put out by the mercant. After watching some of the video's on this site its dawned on me that what Mark Ling was using as products for his sites which came from Clickbank (I'm already a member there) So I may take that road for the time being.

Thanks to both of you for your input.
Michael

faradina
Trust:
Hey, no apology necessary. We are all like brothers and sisters on this forum and we do everything to understand each other as best we can :)

And we certainly do not expect you to speak "Affiliatese" right away, LOL

Just holler for help when you need it and we'll come a-running :)

Anyway, there is absolutely nothing wrong with promoting non-Clickbank products. The trick there is to know what you can and cannot do and close cooperation/communication with the merchant will ensure that you are promoting their product in a manner that does not violate their affiliate terms of agreement.

I hope that helps :)
linconian
Trust:
Thanks Fara

At least I know I can come back and ask some less ridiculous questions in the near future.

Thanks again.

Michael
Michael

This topic was started on Oct 18, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.